Milky Way w/ EM10

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by marting24, Aug 2, 2014.

1. marting24

marting24 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Martin Gonzalez
    I was at Zion National Park earlier this month and really wanted to get some shots of some stars while I was there, so I went into the park late one night and did just that. I really didn't expect to get the Milky Way that night. It was all really just a bit of dumb luck that I stumbled upon it!

I saw some weird cloudy foggy area in the sky, above a mountain and figured I should shoot at it right before I left back to the hotel. (We didn't camp :smile:) When I saw the milky way appear on my EM10 after the exposure, I jumped in joy!

Next time I venture off to shoot some astrophotography, I really have to remember to take multiple shots so I can combine them later in post for less noise.

The image I'm posting was a bit underwhelming for me but I figure it is my first attempt, so I should be proud :yahoo:

Here it is!

[​IMG][/url]Milky Way by MGRX100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Question for any of you.

How do you go about editing your Astro Shots?

• Like Like x 13
  2. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Info please! Lens? Exposure? great shot!

3. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
  4. marting24

marting24 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Martin Gonzalez
    Hey Randy, the lens used was the 12-40 and the exposure was at 25 seconds, ISO 1600 , and F 2.8

5. marting24

marting24 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Martin Gonzalez
    • Like Like x 1
  6. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    Well, here's my try - Milkyway (northern, starting from Cassiopeia)

14986528931_70ceff8631_o.

...lots of trial and error in PP! BCL 9mm (f/8) 40 seconds x 10 exposures and one black frame stacked.

• Like Like x 3
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Great shots. If you zoom in, you can see Groot and Rocket. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. pbraun

pbraun Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    I've just started, but a friend of mine who's been doing this for several years turned me on to Deep Sky Stacker. Works extremely well - you just add a mess of light frames, a smaller mess of dark frames, hit the button and walk away until it's done. Once you get the stacked image rendered, you can import into PS or LR or whatever for further manipulation/clarity. http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html is the site. Free, good (windows only, though. I have a separate Windows box just for running a few apps that aren't available for Mac.)

• Like Like x 2