Milky Way at Queensland Astrofest with Panasonic 12-35

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by PhilS, Jul 26, 2014.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Had a great time at Queensland Astrofest 2014 with only one night clouded out. Imaging went until the wee hours of the morning, generally 2:00 AM when the fog started to roll in.

This is a single 40 sec exposure. I removed most of the noise with Imagenomic and graded with PS.

The Southern Cross is in the middle of frame with Eta Carina, a pink smudge about a third of the way up in the middle.

The glow on the bottom LHS is from Brisbane, about 200Km away and what you see silhouetted is a chimney.

14759824723_701d09b07f_b. Milky Way Queensland Astrofest 2014 by philipsavory, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm surprised that with a 40 sec exposure, there is really no noticeable movement in the stars. With the people that were obviously there, probably a few who are members of: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/index.php, did any discussion revolve around software specific to stellar photography? I use Imagenomic, but with image stacking and some of the software about, I believe they can do a much better job.

3. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    I used a Kenko Star Tracker

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That explains it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.