1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Milky Way at Queensland Astrofest with Panasonic 12-35

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by PhilS, Jul 26, 2014.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Had a great time at Queensland Astrofest 2014 with only one night clouded out. Imaging went until the wee hours of the morning, generally 2:00 AM when the fog started to roll in.

This is a single 40 sec exposure. I removed most of the noise with Imagenomic and graded with PS.

The Southern Cross is in the middle of frame with Eta Carina, a pink smudge about a third of the way up in the middle.

The glow on the bottom LHS is from Brisbane, about 200Km away and what you see silhouetted is a chimney.

14759824723_701d09b07f_b. Milky Way Queensland Astrofest 2014 by philipsavory, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm surprised that with a 40 sec exposure, there is really no noticeable movement in the stars. With the people that were obviously there, probably a few who are members of: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/index.php, did any discussion revolve around software specific to stellar photography? I use Imagenomic, but with image stacking and some of the software about, I believe they can do a much better job.

3. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    I used a Kenko Star Tracker

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That explains it.