1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Milford Sound Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by squeegee, Sep 12, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Milford Sound is on the west coast of the south island of New Zealand. For the most part only 2 things happen in Milford Sound, 1) fishing (Lobster I think), 2) tourism.

The water has a lot of aquatic life including dolphins, seals, as well as the expected fishes etc.

My dolphin and seal pictures didn't really come out well, so you'll have to put up with the waterfall series instead. The entire inlet is surrounded by these mountains coming straight out of the water. These water falls aren't constant, they allegedly turn on and off quite quickly depending on if it's just rained or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That place is definitely on my "to do" list. Isn't it quite wet there at this time of the year (like most of the other time of the year)? And I take it you were fishing?

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    It's been wet here for the last week or so. Wet is a relative terms though. The haze in the pictures is from the moisture (not over exposure :smile: ). It was sprinkling on and off that day but nothing "unbearable".

I wasn't fishing, I was just doing a local little boat ride around the inlet hanging out with the marine life. The dolphins are cool, they love riding the wake of boats and they'll just hang out really close to the boats for a while and stuff.

Hey wait a sec, you're in Auckland, you can just shuffle down here for a long weekend. You can hop on a boat for about $65 and they'll boat you around for a couple of hours.