1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mike Johnston on "Sharpness"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    His larger point is valid: most lenses are sharp enough, even for enlargement or display on hi-res displays. The slow advance of 4K-everything won't make my photos look worse (not least because it's "only" 8.3Mp in resolution).

Having said that, I disagree that you can have too much sharpness. You can ALWAYS blur away detail. You cannot, beyond a finite limit, unblur pixels that never existed.

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I found his article and the comments a fresh different aspect from my own. Although I have been taking pictures for a decade now, I'm still something of a noob. These guys seem to be pros, and I take their thoughts into consideration. Interestingly, the oly 17f1,8 is mentioned, a loved lens in this forum, but bashed for it "not-so-great sharpness" all over the web...

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Jim ... U shocked me .. I thought this must be a thread by RT Panther :wink::wink:We are so used to this kind of links by him :drinks:

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :biggrin:

Yeah, the thought had occurred to me :wink:.

I think my 45mm was on my mind and Mike's article struck a chord.

Regards,

Jim

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You shoulda put a smiley (or five) in the title, then it coulda been confused with a "Bhupinder thread", too.