1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Migrated files lost processing

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by LBeckons, Jan 15, 2013.

1. LBeckons

LBeckons Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    Seattle-ish
    Hello everyone,

So I just got a Mac book pro and I migrated all my pictures from my PC. After importing them into lightroom it appear that I have lost all my post work. I've spent hours of my life tweaking photos to just the way I like them. Is there something I'm missing to make them come back.

Also I cleared the whole library and all the post on photos that were uploaded to the mac lost their processing to.

Please help me figure out how to get them back!

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    So what's your setup before and after the migration, and what did you do during the migration?

3. LBeckons

LBeckons Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    Seattle-ish
    I was transferring from a windows laptop to mac book using the migration software that came with the mac. The only thing I took was the actual picture files. I didn't want to import anything else. Is that what you mean by setup?

During the 20 hours it took to migrate(over wi-fi, no ethernet cable on mac book) I just slept and went to work.

It was a pain and I'm still trying to figure out how to us a mac but I'm thinking the "saved processing" is kept somewhere else and I need to retrieve it. But I have no clue??

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Did you have Lightroom both on Windows and Mac?
    v4?

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    While I have never migrated from a Window computer to a Mac, I believe, in addition to the photo files themselves, the most important file you are missing is the Lightroom Catalog from your Window laptop. You need to locate the catalog from your laptop, transfer it to the Mac, and import the catalog into your Lightroom on your Mac...

6. LBeckons

LBeckons Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    Seattle-ish
    Yes getting LR4 onto the Mac was really easy Adobe has a good set up for that.

OK, Lightroom Catalog. I will look into finding that and figuring out how to import it.

EDIT: hkpzee, I found the catalog on my Win laptop. It's gonna take forever again to transfer it. Hopefully I will be able to get it loaded correctly. My only doubt is I can't seem to get the catalog of things I edited, deleted, and reimported into LR4.

Thank you both for your help!

7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I think your edits should be in that catalog. Just copy the single catalog file/directory with an external usb drive or through the network (enable windows sharing), no need to redo the migration process.

You may need to (re)tell LR4 where the referenced pictures are, if the directory location differs.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Get a thumb drive or just copy the files onto a memory card and do it that way. You'll be there all week on wireless.

The two files you need are the .lrcat file and the lrpreviews file. Copy those to the location on you new computer you'd like them. You'll need to spend a bit of time getting LR to "find" the files but if the folder structure is the same it's pretty easy.

You can also copy across your presets. You'll need to locate them on the old machine (easy in the LR preferences) and then put them in the appropriate spot on the new machine (same proceedure - in the LR preferences choose the option that shows the location of the presets folder. Copy the presets there.).

Gordon

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You might also be able to make an appointment at the genius bar at the Mac store, if there is one near you, and they may be able to do it for you.

I believe Lightroom also has an export catalog feature, but if you are doing the whole catalog, you can just move the whole thing.

I also think it's best to go to the experts when you are doing something so critical. I found this on the Adobe site: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-compl...e-kost/how-to-migrate-lr-to-another-computer/ I didn't walk through this, but it seems to be exactly what you need.

10. LBeckons

LBeckons Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    Seattle-ish
    I used my SD card to copy the files too forever on my pc and about a min to put onto my new mac. Really simple what you know what your looking for.

Really appreciate the help!

11. LBeckons

LBeckons Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    Seattle-ish
    Turns out it's not as easy as I thought. NEVER move the folders around(do a little rearranging) on your own, do it in LR. LR will display the jpeg images but the connection to the files will be lost. I had to go through hundreds of day of shoots and link them back up. My bad! If only one person learns from my mistake, my work here is done!