1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Might be adding an NX mini

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tkbslc, Jun 26, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now my wife says she wants a compact camera body. But the kicker is that she has this irrational hatred against Panasonic cameras. This is based on some bad experience with one 6 years ago. I cannot talk her into a GM1, I've tried (Because I want to be able to borrow it!). Even though it seems like a no-brainer given that I have 7 m4/3 lenses already.

So she really seems to like the Samsung NX mini, both for the size and the style. It comes in mint green. She really seems to favor the fast normal prime when she has used my cameras, and the Samsung has a reportedly very sharp 17mm f1.8 (= 46mm equiv) for $200. The camera comes with a tiny 24mm equiv pancake.

So with that in mind, and given that I could borrow the camera, would you think I should sell my 25mm f1.8? I don't use it terribly often and mostly bought it because she likes the normal primes (and of course she won't use my Panasonic GX7 now). I have the 15mm, 45mm and 60mm aside, so 25mm was kind of close there in the middle anyway.

Seems like having access to a 24mm equivalent prime would be handy for me, too, since my widest prime (Aside from fisheye) is the 15mm.

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'd have a hard time buying into a system with only 3 native lens options, having to. I think I'd be more likely to look at a Fuji x100, Ricoh GR, or Nikon CoolPix A first. And while the Fuji is notably bigger the Ricoh and Nikon are not.

But if it has to be a system camera I would look at the Nikon 1 J5. It's the latest J model and seems Nikon has finally decided (or been able to) use the same sensor as in the RX100. There are 27 / 50 / 86 mm eq primes and zooms from 18-800 mm angle of view. This latest Nikon 1 is the first to get me to really take a serious look at them. And it's about the same size as the GM1/5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Is there any reason at all to go for an NX Mini instead of an RX100 (I or II)?

When you're switching between a 24mm f3.5 and a 46mm f1.8, why not just go with something that's about the same size and already has a built-in 28-100 f1.8-4.9? I understand the fast-normal conundrum, but the NX Mini really seems like it has seriously limited utility.

For the record, I think your initial thought of the GM1 is clearly the best option, and I think Panasonic makes some of the finest cameras on the market today, with very thoughtful features, ergonomics, and user interface that makes me feel like they actually consult photographers when doing their design. But I guess if she's really resistant, there's no point in fighting it when there are other almost-as-good options around.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David

Only this line. Other wise it would be a very good option.

6. tkbslc

Yes. The NX Mini is "cute". The Sony is "hideous". Remember this is for my non-gear-head wife. And since image quality is not going to suffer, I'm OK to oblige her sense of style.

NX-MINI-9MM-Lens_005_R-Perspective_Mint-Green_8.

If I thought she would ever use anything outside the standard ranges, I'd be worried.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    well that's not ugly.

1427947200000_1135821.

8. tkbslc

Well, I guess that is debatable. It's certainly not as sleek as the NX mini. Plus, what's the advantage? The NX mini also has a 1" sensor.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The NX Mini is very stylish. Is that mint or seafoam green?

10. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It's a real shame the Lumix CM1 is so expensive, since it would have the same image quality, but with all the instant shareability and other options of a smartphone. If it was only $500, I'd already own one, but at $1000 it's too much to justify when its image quality isn't really head-and-shoulders above the cheaper smartphone options like the elderly 41MP Lumia 1020 or new LG G4.

(Then again the CM1 is a Panasonic, so maybe not so perfect, anyway...)

Does your wife have an iPhone? Maybe that new goofy DXO ONE could be a reasonable option for a compact fast-normal prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

It's really weird that she literally will not even look at the Panasonic. She admits it is irrational but still can't find any interest in the GM1 or GF7. Plus she just fell in love with the color/style of the mini so I think it is a done deal. Fortunately she carries a purse, so packing a phone and a small camera is not an issue.

DxO one seems a bit too fiddly for her to want to use. She likes it simple. She wants good IQ and a cute camera and not have to think too much about the technical aspects.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'd also have her look at the Fuji X30. Not a bad little camera and a versatile lens range.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    AF is a big one, read the review over on DP Review. 21 point that sometimes don't seem to work well vs 171 points that work pretty well. There's also control points. If she likes primes then she might like to have some control? It's very limited on the NX.

There also seems to be a lot of processing going on even on the RAW file on the NX. Looks like noise reduction at the cost of detail. Though I guess at FB/web resolution it shouldn't really make that much difference.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ima...&x=-0.025649121356513257&y=0.6709969622592307

But it's all about what she wants. For my wife it's just a good thing auto/program are an easy dial turn away.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  14. tkbslc

15. tkbslc

"Mint" was their term. They also have baby pink if you prefer, as well as a manly black or brown. :)

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    You know it's funny. I looked at the NX and mini very briefly before getting my GM and ruled them out. The Mini almost instantly based on lens options, controls, and image quality (sorry, auto noise reduction even in RAW is a deal breaker for me).

But looking at them again I guess my wife might also find it OK. Though she would not be a fan of primes so a compact would be a better option anyway.

17. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    The NX system is actually a very good one - in my opinion superior to Sony's APS-C options when considered as a system, and about equal to Fuji when you consider that they have much more affordable lenses, better sensors, and touch-screens.

I got my girlfriend an NX210 and 30mm/f2 before I got my GX1, and the image quality is very good until it falls apart around ISO3200 (the GX1 actually holds up better, in my eyes).

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The APS-C sensor Samsungs seem fine, I'm not really knocking it as a system. Just not what I was looking for at the time. It was the NX Mini that I was referring to for image quality.

19. tkbslc

One bonus I just noticed is that the Samsung comes with Lightroom as the bundled RAW developer.

20. tkbslc

Well I told her to buy it if she really wanted it and she backed out. I'm going to buy a gf7 for our next trip and see if she'll warm up to Panasonic