1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mid range zooms for landscape. Oh, yeah.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tanngrisnir3, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    When I first started out, due to not really understanding what I was doing and listening to advice but not really understanding it, I thought landscape was all about WIDE ANGLE. Without a WA or UWA, you just couldn't do it right.

That's great for huge places, wide open panoramas, or shooting really big things really close up, but it slowly dawned on me that not only is that limiting, but photography is a lot more about capturing moods and unique angles/perspectives than getting only grand, sweeping shots (although I still like those)

These were taken last Saturday Morning, near Catheys Valley, CA, on Hornitos Road, in both Merced and Mariposa Counties, and all with either the Oly 40-150 (just KILLS for the money, esp. between about 60-110mm) or the Panny 14-45. The fog and sunrise light were spectacular, and not really uncommon there.

All processed from RAW through LR 4 and NIK plugins.

Man, I am really starting to see the value of, say, the 12-35 and/or the 75mm 1.8 for landscape purposes. I was convinced that my present to myself this year would be the Panny 7-14, but now I'm thinking of other glass, possibly with a nice higher end filter system.

8220898914_ee58c8e7f7_b.
    Hornitos Road, Morning in the Forest by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

8216483120_efa90ed4ce_b.
    Merced River Morning, Fog by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

8223146493_aa97535eca_b.
    Hornitos Road Oak, Fog #3 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Still not totally happy with this last one, so I'm still tweaking it a bit in PP.

Hornitos Road Oak, Fog #2 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

• Like Like x 31
  2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Nice set, especially like #3. :thumbup: I agree with you on the use of telephoto for landscape, it can be very rewarding and actually easier to use than an ultra wide-angle lens.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Really nice shots here. I haven't done much of any landscape, but I want to do more, so I'm going to start experimenting soon - I would have assumed the same thing about needing a wide or ultra-wide, but I'll reconsider it based on what you've shown here.

4. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Very nice shots! I really like the play with fog and sunrays.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You got your shooting style. I really like your picture in the 72 hours challenge and this photos show that it was not a lucky one.
    All these photos are great with a great eye. :2thumbs:

6. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    great set, the tree's shadow on the last shot seems almost tangible!

I understand where you're coming from, I'm a wide angle junkie but I've come to appreciate the mid range more as well. Who knows, I might even start to use tele focal lengths one day! :wink:

7. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Yep, telephoto rocks for landscapes

I also use my 40-150 for landscape all of the time.

Selection and isolation are key for excellent landscape photos, yours, btw are fantastic!

I use all of my lens for landscape and find the Oly 45 works wonders too in this regard.

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Beautiful work, I like the first and last ones especially! :thumbup:

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    In alot of ways a tele or normal FL image is easier to compose as you have less to worry about to create a good composition. While I love this set, one great wide shot to anchor the set would just make it pop the tele/normal images, and give them more of a sense of place and story because of the intensity they can provide. Then again, to get quality filters all set up, plus a 7-14 that's a $1500 and up proposition...

Nice use of Nik too.. on the last one try the colorize filter in Color efex to bring out the fog and vague shadows of the trees in the back by slecting some of the warmer tone from the foreground. With enough tweaking it would almost appear like a watercolor painting, while keeping the color and mood constant across the images.

Good set...

10. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    The 45mm is likely next on my list, as while the 14-45 is fantastic for general use as a kit lens, it just doesn't quiiiiiite match up to what I'm looking for. It's one of the few primes I've had my eye on, since 45mm seems to suit my eye/where I'm standing a lot.

Also ditching my 20mm for the 25mm at the first opportunity.

11. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011

Thanks.

One of the (very) few things that bugs me a little about NIK is that, unlike Lightroom, it doesn't save the steps one uses to process.

Sure, you can cook up and save a 'recipe', but I tend to individually tweak every single shot I process, so that doesn't always work so well.

12. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    25 v 20 for landscapes

I have the 20mm and have looked carefully at the sharpness of the 25. I think the 20mm is sharper edge to edge. I would lean toward the 25mm for street or portrait(group) work.

If the FOV is an issue that's a different problem but I don't think you'll gain sharpness edge to edge.

13. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not so worried about sharpness, but I also shoot in low light not infrequently, and the 20mm SUCKS for that in terms of autofocus.

That, and having rented the 25, it reproduces color and contrast better to my eyes and doesn't have the purple/blue fringing problem on the edges that the 20mm can have at the most inopportune times.

14. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Really, really, really great work. Thanks for reminding us it doesn't take thousands of dollars worth kit to take great photos.

15. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    There's not much difference if any between 14-45 and 45/1.8 when stopped down to f/5.6-f/11, I got rid of the 45 because it just wasn't giving any more resolution for landscapes.. so imho it's purely low-light/wide open lens.

You do have access to all the settings for all the filters you've dialed in if you apply a NIK filter to a smart object in Photoshop. The step by step history isn't saved but it doesn't seem to be a big deal, the main thing is that you can always go back to your images and re-process them by tweaking only the filters you want to play with.

16. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Nice, like the fog and sunbeams. I use the Panleica 45mm or Panasonic 100-300 for landscape - am a fan of the more compressed look. (7-14 mm uwa for architecture, vehicles, interiors)

17. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    After renting the 45/1.8, I found that not to be the case, actually, and I can't think of any reason to ever take either one over, say, f5.6. At 45mm, the 14-45 does slightly (and I mean slightly) better at f8, but not enough to matter.

Besides, with a LOT of landscape shots happening at either dusk or dawn, that low light capability with the added sharpness (that I see, in any case) really makes more sense.
    Oh, I know, but it's just not worth the effort, and although I took classes in Photoshop a few years ago, I just don't ever use it when LR does pretty much everything I need.

LOVE that NIK suite of tools, though. Can't say enough good about it, and it's what Lightroom SHOULD have been from the get go.

18. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    More important than lenses is picking the right time of day to be at the right spot at the right time to take the right shot.

The 40-150 is also the most underrated lens in MfT.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tanngrisnir3

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup, this.

Actually getting out more and shooting is the best answer to the almost universal, "How did you manage to get that?"

20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is a beautiful set - nicely done! :thumbup: