Microsoft Services Agreement- they can use anything you create

Real Name
Rick
Just received email from Microsoft with new Terms of Service. How often do we bother to read such items? Well, if you use any Microsoft service (apparently except chat and email), they can take your content and use it as they see fit.

Looks like not just any images you store in the cloud or apps, but things like your entries into One Note,, data etc.

I'm not an attorney (and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so here is what they say:

"To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services."

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
That's lawyer speak for "we need your permission to use the share feature". IE have an image open in the Photos app, choose "share" and then post the image to the Instagram app.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
They need to have rights to your data so they can store it on their servers and display it in their apps so that YOU can use it. Storing copies of your data without being granted the rights to do so is theft and/or copyright violation.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Microsoft Services Agreement
To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. If you publish Your Content in areas of the Service where it is available broadly online without restrictions, Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service. Some of the Services are supported by advertising. Controls for how Microsoft personalizes advertising are available on the Security & privacy page of the Microsoft account management website. We do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files, to target advertising to you. Our advertising policies are covered in detail in the Privacy Statement.
I think the part in bold is the important part. As I read it, they are saying if you made your content publicly available, then they might use it for promotional purposes.

Real Name
Rick
Microsoft Services Agreement

I think the part in bold is the important part. As I read it, they are saying if you made your content publicly available, then they might use it for promotional purposes.
I would hope it would be limited to that. One thing if you choose to share, another if you just are using one of their apps to store personal data which you simply would not choose to share.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
My general perception of modern Microsoft is that they're one of the relatively benign big data companies in terms of user data. And I did read through most of those ToS changes when I got the email a few days ago.

These policy changes have a downside risk for Microsoft. By claiming data rights to the content you contribute they can no longer claim they are an information conduit and will be subject to the laws governing content publishers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom