microSD card suddenly locked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danny_SWE, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Hi all!

I'm in some period of bad luck now. Next thing is my new MicroSD card that I have been using for a while in my camera (with an adapter then). On my last trip after a few days of shooting, I was shooting a little and then right after a shot the camera displayed: "memory card error" and then "memory card locked".

That was it, no more shooting for the whole trip. I tried fiddle with the lock switch on the adapter, no luck. At home I have tried everything, card in adapter in reader to computer, only card in reader, tried regedit to enable writing, tried diskpart to remove lock flag. Card in another camera with various adapters. Nothing works!

I have now concluded that the card must be defect. This card was supposed to be among the best out there, it was some Lexar bought from my favorite photo store. Yeah, sure, it worked some weeks! (I'm so "(@!&!(ยค# frustrated at this).

Any one else had this fantastic experience?

I have had quite mixed experiences with memory cards and memory sticks. Don't know why. Do they use some lower quality memory circuits on these? My SSD drives has worked flawless all the time, even my old Intel G2 that is several years old (since 2009).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I regularily use microSD cards in my (old) Pany G1. I've never encountered a flawed card, but do frequently have issues with the lock switch on the adapter. I've found that it will sometimes move to the lock position when I insert the adapter into the camera or a card reader. Careful insertion generally works.

If a card is corrupted it can often be recovered, with total data loss, using the SD Association's card formatter. This app is available free from the assn. at: SD Card Formatter - SD Association

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    This is likely the problem. Lexar is not an especially good media brand. Contact them and see what kind of warranty you may be covered under (be prepared to produce proof of purchase like invoice or sales reciept).

Next purchase go for SanDisk. I see fewest problem reports with this brand (I've followed this issue since 2008). SanDisk has a lifetime warranty on their media cards, I had one where the lock tab came loose and it could not be written to. SanDisk replaced it with a new one with no complications or fuss.

That's the only malfunction I've had with SanDisk media.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    it's not the lock switch, it's the same problem when using the microSD directly in the card reader. So it's something with the card.

The data is there, I have copied it. But I just can't format the card or taking new photos (as for recovery I have had good luck with "PhotoRec").

Yes, I will contact my store, quite certain I will get the money back or something. But will go a new trip tomorrow so I have to wait and use an older card meanwhile. A SanDisk that actually have worked very well. When I think my SanDisk cards/drives have actually worked well. I will buy a SanDisk next time! :) thanks

5. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I've had two expensive cards fail on me recently but it was my fault and the reason only became apparent after the second one failed. I was putting them into my pocket after they were full and taking them out at home to download, whilst in my pocket they have been subjected to sideways mechanical stress and fractured the PCB inside. The second time it happened, the outer casing split as well, setting off alarm bells. Neither card was recoverable in any way.

I now carry a small waterproof otterbox case that holds 12 SD cards in individual foam/rubber cutouts and haven't had anymore failures since...

I know they can get fritzd in other ways but I thought it was worth a mention...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lexar is made in USA by imflash, which is a joint Intel and Micron venture. It's good stuff.

7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Interesting. From the limited google-fu i made, micro sd cards have a bigger failure rate. Sd cards are rather cheap nowdays, just be thankful you were able to copy the content.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think the larger size of the SD card over the MicroSD card would allow better heat-sinking etc & therefore greater reliability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Samsung is dead to me. I've had two Samsung "PRO" micro sd cards fail within a week, just a month out of warranty.

10. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Yep. Same here. In my phone. That time I was not lucky enough to copy content. My latest Samsung HDD failed quite fast also.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

11. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    Ditto for what he said. Toooo many Lexar problems.....toooo fragile.