Microscope for mu43?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeG, May 13, 2010.

1. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

Ozray recently posted about a microscope adapter that would work with micro 4/3. I'd like to try it but know less than zero about microscopes. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced one to try?

I'm interested in images and patterns, not in splitting the atom, so it wouldn't have to be the last word in image quality.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 4
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Adapter? Phooey!

I've had good luck just shooting directly through the eye-piece! I also have some long relief eye-pieces mean't for eye-glass wearers that seem to help. Usually something around the 40-80mm focal length gets the best results.

I just have the camera sitting on a tripod and get the lens face as close as possible to the eye-piece. A bit of fiddling and it works not too badly. Not quite as convenient as a video/camera port on the microscope but I find the image quality to be better and less focus problems as well.

I have a Lomo student type scope that I got for $100 bucks new so no photoport or bino viewer.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Most everyone makes c-mount eyepieces, just replace the reticle and you can hook up the camera.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Lets start with this: what microscope do you have?

6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use microscope objectives adapted to my GH1/G1 directly using an RMS-M42 adapter and an M42-MFT adapter. I have a 4x and a 10x objective, and they work very well. No need for a microscope. Here are some samples:

With the 4x objective:
    [​IMG]

With the 10x objective:
    [​IMG]

7. haakor

haakor Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2011
    Vancouver
    Hey Ray, I was debating that exact microscope on ebay but it wasn't totally clear to me just how good it would be for photography. Can you post any sample pictures you've taken with it? Can you peer at just about anything you throw on a slide under it, or does its slide preparation require any particular dyes or copious amounts of light? My wife and I were very keen to try and video some scuttling pond life and the like but didn't want to splash out $300 on something that doesn't do what we were hoping for?

Cheers :)

8. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Ray,

Are you still happy with your microscope?

Haakor,

Did you buy one? Did it work out for you?

I have one of those (AmScope ''40x-2000x Lab Trinocular Biological Compound Microscope") in my "save for later" Amazon shopping cart, ready to pop to the top as soon as I have some confidence in it.

- josé