1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro4/3 telezoom lens or Nikon mount fast telezoom lens?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sin77, Aug 26, 2014.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have two systems: Nikon D7100 and E-PM2
    Other than wide angle lenses, I currently have a Nikon 85mm f1.8D for Nikon mount, and a Leica 45mm f2.8 macro and a Sigma 60mm f2.8 for Olympus mount. (My wife is using her own D300, 105mm f2.8 VR Micro and some other shorter lenses.)
    Now I am planning to get a fast telezoom lens. (Not getting any f5.6 lens.)

I mainly shoot indoor events, and very much prefer the performance of the Nikon than the Olympus. Moreover, I don't have a proper flash unit for E-PM2. However, I rarely (but may) shoot with flash with a telezoom lens.

Price aside, if I buy a telezoom lens for Nikon mount, it will be be very heavy and bulky/long. If I buy a telezoom lens for Olympus, I will not need to switch wide and tele lenses on my Nikon body since I can bring two bodies out (i.e. Nikon + Olympus).

Hope to get some advice. Thanks.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If weight is an issue, I would rather carry Panasonic's 35-100 than Nikon's 70-200 (the latter of which I own). I love the 70-200, and used to carry it for hours on end, but it is not light.

Good luck,

--Ken

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'd get the Nikon lens, the E-PM2 will more than likely frustrate you when it comes to indoor events.

4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    For indoors, will there be a big difference if I upgrade E-PM2 to E-M10 or GH4 to use with Oly 40-150 f2.8 or Pan 35-100 f2.8?

5. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I believe the components of the E-PM2 are largely the same as the other OM-D cameras so you wont see a huge benefit in upgrading. If you place any stock in the Dxomark ratings, then the EPM2 seems to out-perform the GH4 & E-M10 for low-light ISO. This doesn't account for the slightly superior IBIS you would find in an EM5/1 which might gain you a stop or two, though I'm not sure that would be a huge step up from the PM2 considering the cost of such an upgrade.

Anyhow is weight is a top priority for you, then putting your money into one of the fast zooms mentioned above would make more sense than upgrading your camera. If you're happy to carry something larger, then I would suggest sticking with your Nikon makes the most sense.

6. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I had a nikon 24/70 and 70/200, I no longer own them and just have my Oly E-P5 with 35-100. The lens is so much light and smaller and the results are superb.

With the lens I wouldn't have any issue in replacing it. Whether your body is up to the task is actually a different question that should come into it. I don't know enough about it and how it performs in low light and with relatively heavy lenses.

7. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I would buy the lens for the system you see yourself using a couple of years from now. Since you very much prefer the the performance of the Nikon it sounds like you are headed that way. Nikon makes both a f2.8 and f4 version of the 70-200 zoom. Since your Nikon has a larger sensor you would only lose a little low light performance and DOF control compared to either the 35-100 or upcoming 40-150 f2.8 zooms if you bought the much lighter and less expensive f 4 version. It is supposed to be great optically.

Supporting 2 different systems at the same time is complicated. You might be better off either going all m43 and getting something like an E-M1body to replace your 7100 or going all Nikon and getting another SLR body, either something like a D3200 if you want small and inexpensive or a D610 if you want better low light performance. The much lighter weight of m43 makes it the choice obvious in my case but I do not shoot indoor events.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you do not normally shoot with flash when shooting indoors, I am not sure how happy you would be with an f/4.0 lens, unless you are comfortable with high ISO settings. It is hard enough with an f/2.8 lens, and losing a stop is not helping matters any. Alternately, you could incorporate a flash in your shooting, and then have a number of good solutions.

--Ken

9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I have back problem n equipment weight is quite a consideration for me. However I have lesser confidence with micro 4/3 performance.

10. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    It's the body with the old sensor, not the system ;)

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe consider using the fast zoom for your Nikon with a metabones speedbooster on the MFT. Double duty for the lens with a stop bump for speed from the metabones.

12. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    If your Nikon is your benchmark then any compact system (m43,Fuji etc) will struggle to match the D7100 + fast Nikon lens for the sort of the photography you're doing (indoor low light,high zoom & no flash). There are various routes for compromise (e.g. fast M43 zooms, adapting lenses) but at the end of the day you'll have to settle for something that is less capable than the D7100 if you want to reduce the weight.
    Most people would probably be happy with a PM2 + fast zoom for indoor photography - but it all depends on your expectations and what you've gotten used to (e.g. your Nikon).

You could splash out on a Sony A7 \ A6000 and some long alpha lenses, but any APC/Full frame 2.8 tele-zoom is still going to be a sizable chunk of glass to carry around.