1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro-USB dummy battery for Olympus BLN-1 compatible with E-M1 E-M5 EP-5 I II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hessen, May 13, 2016.

1. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    (updated:06/20/16)
    • Upgraded version: Now support dual micro-USB input in case your power bank does not support solid >2.4A current. A combination of 2A+ 1A or 1.5A x 2 should work in this case.

If your power bank support >2.4A (recommend 3A), no need to use both ports.
    For power bank: Tested to work with Anker PowerCore 10400, 16000, and Hyper PS QD5-20000 with single input.
    For wall charger: Tested to work with Aukey PA-U35.

• The dual micro-USB can also be used to change power bank on the fly without turning off the camera.
    (buyers of V1 please contact me for the upgrade option if you would like to.)
    • Currently working on the versions for the Sony NEX/A7 series and Canon EOSM. I would like to hear from you if you would like a mod for other cameras~!

20160618_231912-01. 20160618_232040-01.

-----------------------------
    Posted this in the accessory thread previously but would love to have more exposure and discussion with other users.

I happened to wanted a Micro-USB dummy battery for my Olympus E-M5 ii. But there is limited option available on the market. So I went ahead make one by myself. The case is modeled myself and 3D printed. The circuitry is designed based on LM307 to ensure stable voltage output. (7.6V)
    Compatible with cameras using Olympus BLN-1 battery such as: OMD E-M1, E-M5, EP-5, I, II.

This can be used in combination with a portable charger, or a USB power supply to power up your Olympus camera for long time usage scenarios such as: Time Lapse, event shooting, Firework Photography, Slow Shutter Photography, or Star Photography.

I believe nowadays a micro-usb based dummy battery is more useful than a DC port one as you can share the portable battery used by your cell phone! I can now hook up my powerful external battery and never worry about battery drain during long exposure again~!

Input: Micro-USB port, 5V and 2.4 A (Recommend 3A).
    Note: Your camera may not power up if your USB port cannot provide >2 A of current. The mechanical shutter need >2.4A to be functional. Electronic shutter works fine with 2A.
    Note: Don't use poor quality usb cable. The cable need to be thick enough and with good connector to deliver 2.4 A.

p1010391-.123036.
    I used the Anker 10400 mAh portable battery as an example to connect to this dummy battery.

p1010385-.123038.
    Inserted into my E-M5 II. Note that you do break the waterproof of the camera in this case.

p1010388-.123039.
    Camera powered up by the dummy battery and the portable power

oi000002-02-jpeg.123040.
    Sample photo 1

oi000003-01-jpeg.123041.
    Sample photo 2

oi000006-01-jpeg.123042.
    Sample photo 3

Since I still have some spare parts here. I am willing to make some more in case anyone need it, too. If you don't have the time to build one yourself, you may consider getting one from me. Shipping is included worldwide by paying through pay-pal:

PayPal

Please leave a note with your shipping address, or email to olympusdummybattery@gmail.com

The case is 3D printed so please expect some surface patterns.

If you have some better idea or would like one for other models of camera, kindly let me know~!

-------------------------------

For people who may be interested.
    There is similar but excellent work done by faithblind earlier.
    Olympus OM-D BLN-1 Dummy Battery by faithblinded
    3D Printable OM-D BLN-1 Dummy Battery: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    He has provided some tutorial on how to make one yourself if you are careful enough and like the DIY fun~!

Though I have not aware of that before posting my work. I am happy to repost my work as a remix of faithblind's work.

As you will find, except the idea of 3D printing and using connectors, there are also some differences between the two work. The case was modeled from scratch and the idea of micro USB circuiting for using power bank and wall charger.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Does the output have any sort of overvoltage protection in case the regulator fails?

Brian

3. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Hi Brian, the circuit can accept 1.5-8.5V and regulate to 7.6V.
    By definition the USB-port only output 5V voltage, and it is advised to only input 5V through the micro USB.
    As long as one don't mess with their own irregular usb port with more than 8.5V it will be fine.

Inputting more than 8.5V or 3A current will triger the transient voltage suppressor and the fuse. The unit will be recovered after that overpower is removed.

Also in rare case when the regulator fails, there will be no output from the unit, so the camera is always safe.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. Brian Beezley

Parts within the regulator circuit set the output voltage. What if one of these parts fails in such a way that the output voltage rises above 7.6 volts? I don't know how much a camera can safely handle and I don't know of a nondestructive way to find out. Placing a 5-watt 8.2V Zener diode across the output, preferably hand-selected for breakdown voltage and located after a very thin PCB trace, would provide some protection. I would never apply an external voltage to my camera without some sort of overvoltage protection.

Brian

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    excellent work!

Actually the dummy battery is another reason I keep using my GH1 ... it came with one in the box :)

6. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    just ordered one through you. thanks

7. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Hi Brain, I totally agree with you.
    As said, there is a 8.5V transient voltage suppressor (TVS, similar to a Zener diode as you mentioned) in parallel of the output of the regulator circuit. There is also a 3A ressetable fuse in series of the output of the above two. When the output from the regulator rise above 8.5V, the TVS bypass the output and flow through the fuse. This is what I can implement at this time. It's sad that many of the dummy battery we can buy from the market does not even have any over voltage protection.

This camera consume about 9-12W of power, and it does NOT have reverse protection. Don't ask me how I know it :(
    Olympus should at least put a reverse protection diode IMHO.

8. Brian Beezley

Please post the circuit diagram.

Brian

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Panasonic does a great job on this.

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Why should he?
    You're not expecting to get the schematics for an i-phone either...
    Rudy

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    (updated:06/20/16)
    • Upgraded version: Now support dual micro-USB input in case your power bank does not support solid >2.4A current. A combination of 2A+ 1A or 1.5A x 2 should work in this case.

If your power bank support >2.4A (recommend 3A), no need to use both ports.
    For power bank: Tested to work with Anker PowerCore 10400, 16000, and Hyper PS QD5-20000 with single input.
    For wall charger: Tested to work with Aukey PA-U35.

• The dual micro-USB can also be used to change power bank on the fly without turning off the camera.
    (buyers of V1 please contact me for the upgrade option if you would like to.)
    • Currently working on the versions for the Sony NEX/A7 series and Canon EOSM. I would like to hear from you if you would like a mod for other cameras~!

• Like Like x 1
  12. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Call me crazy, but this sure seems like a remix of my original design. No one ever used quick connectors for the dummy terminals before me. I looked. The license under which I released it allows you to do anything you want with it, so long as you provide proper attribution to my original design.

13. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    That analogy holds no water. The iPhone is a fully tested device, which meets regulations for electronics devices all over the world. This is a home assembled dummy battery, with no such qualifications or testing. It's not unreasonable to request a schematic, or a list of components used inside.

14. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Does this mean all these power devices will work with one input? Including the wall charger?

15. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    THe soap design won me over.))) would also be a fitting name.%) Soap for your olympus.)
    is it em5ii compatible?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Hi Faithblinded, I have not aware that you actually made one before? Otherwise should have just got one from you instead of spending so much time modeling myself.
    Not sure which design you refer to but it seems there is some coincidence.
    Not to insult, but I am happy to link your work here and provide attribution if it you could pm me your link : )

Oh, congrad for Cavaliers championship last night~!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  17. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Yes, but I only tested these power banks and charger listed with my Em5-ii, which I have.
    There ARE some cheap and over-rated charges on the market, one need to avoid those.
    For example, the Ravpower 6 port USB wall charger claims to provide 2.4A but only max 1.6A per port tested.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Searched and find your excellent work~! There are some similarity indeed!
    To people who may be interested:
    Olympus OM-D BLN-1 Dummy Battery by faithblinded
    3D Printable OM-D BLN-1 Dummy Battery: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Not sure what you used for modeling. My case is done by OpenSCAD with quite some amount of coding, as you see, not "steal" from your work :)
    QQ图片20160620145841.

Using connectors for batteries is not new as I have also done that years back, when making a dummy battery for my dremel 8200 rotary tool.
    The difference is you post it but I did not.
    I assume many people have also done that as this is what the connectors for-- making electric connection.

The idea of using micro-usb for dummy battery is completely new and I made my own circuit though not sure what license I am under.
    I am happy to list it as a remix as I am glad to find people working with similar idea~!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Hessen

Hessen Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Interesting! my brother in law actually told me the same thing when I showed him the picture~! The red one is watermelon smelling and the white is milk :026:

20. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Heh, now find fitting abbreviation, and you're ready for mass production.) don't forget to patent it.)
    Simple Olympus Akkumulator/Adapter Powersupply
    Already taken%)

• Like Like x 1