1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

micro SD cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by flamingfish, Mar 19, 2015.

1. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I screwed up and ordered a couple of micro SD cards when I thought I was ordering SD cards. Can I just stick them in the included adapter and use them like full-size SD cards? Other than being harder to find if I drop them, is there any reason I shouldn't use the micro SDs?

Thanks.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There's no reason they won't work. I've used microSD cards (in the adapters) in my cameras before with no issue.

I can't think of any reason NOT to use them, other than the fact that microSD cards are more expensive than similiarly performing SD cards. The upside is that they can simplify the task of moving files between your camera and microSD-equipped smartphone or tablet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Actually not a bad thing to do if you have a tablet that has a mSD slot.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I have a 64GB MicroSD card in my E-M10 and it works great. I never take it out of the SD adapter and haven't had any problems in the 8-9 months I've been using it. Conventional SD cards are basically the same thing with a bigger case around the electronics.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I actually ordered a micro SD card and adapter for my E-M1 because a 32GB class 10 card was cheaper than an SD card. After testing, this thing flies compared to my supposedly 16GB class 10 cards (albeit older ones).

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Depends. The fastest cards are only available in SD.

Barry

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That would make sense, but the fastest cards I know of are Sandisk's Extreme Pro line. They now have microSD cards in that line (see here) that offer the same quoted 95 MB/s (read)/ 90MB/s (write) speeds as the SD equivalent. The price is even within a few dollars.

I may go with microSD the next time I need a new card.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had issues with crummy adapters, so I'd probably run a speed test on a computer to make sure the adapter isn't slowing them down. The memory cards themselves, Micro can be as good as full size SD. Same tech.

9. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I think using a micro-SD card in an adapter is probably fine, but when you add the adapter, there is one more area for potential failure. It is not likely, but why take the risk? If you need the utility of a micro-SD card, I think it should be fine but I would avoid if possible.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The other reason I got the micro-SD card is that our two phones have 32GB micro-SD cards, so if I ever run out of memory cards, I can cannibalise the phones. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    Have had a 2 GB micro-SD card with a SD-adapter in a Nikon point n shoot for years and years now and no worries to date. The camera sees decent amount of use to this day in my brothers care. Also since it's an old point n shoot, speed isn't an issue. ;)

Edit. even though there hasn't been any problems with the card or adapter, I realise it is a potential failure point.

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The mSD>SD adapters contain no circuitry so they shouldn't alter performance unless there is a contact issue.

I have a mix of cards, but my primary everday card is a SanDisk microSD/HC card that is used with a SanDisk adapter. The only issue I've had with my mSD card is that even SanDisk's adapters don't have a firmly help write protect slider. I've had issues wit the slider moving to write protect when I instert the adapter and card into my camera. I've carefully glued the slider to eliminate the issue.