1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 for <$100?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by steve16823, May 22, 2012.

1. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I've been sorta looking for a manual focus macro lens ever since I sold my Digital Zuiko 50mm. I didn't do much research but i snagged a Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 for $90 shipped on e-bay. Looks to be in good shape, so I think I got a good deal -- probably at least partly due to a misspelling in the listing title.

Any recommendations on a cheap adapter?

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    It's a great lens. It is notorious for oily aperture blades so give that a check once you get it.

I use a cheap fotodiox adapter from Amazon.com. It had a little play on the lens side but I tweaked(expanded) the three tabs and it's as solid as the Nikon M2 tube I have.

The M2 tube takes the lens from it's native 1:2 to 1:1. It is non-ai spec. and will damage most digital Nikon bodies. The ai spec. PK-13 will work on both but is more $$$.

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great lens - got it to complement my Zuiko 50mm f3.5 Macro.

The extra stop makes shooting a joy and the extension tube works well, although all that weight makes me worry about my E-P1 lens mount.

4. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations :). I was lucky to get this lens off craiglist a while ago because the seller didn't know what it was worth. As far as adapters go, I initially got an adapter ( I think it was rainbow imaging) off ebay. This one had some light leak problems, so eventually I got a metabones adapter from the classified section here. I eventually ended up getting a Voightlander adapter because I came across a very good deal, but metabones and voightlander are both quite good and prevent light leaks.

I am not saying that every rainbow imaging adapter will have a light leak, but you never know what you get. If you have many nikon lenses that you intend to adapt, I'd suggest that you spend that $50 and get the metabones adapter. It's worth it.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Amazon non-G Nikon adapters are built pretty good. Metabones adapters are decent as well. But my favorite is the Voigtlander adapter which gives precise distance scale focusing.

I've been eyeing the Rayqual Nikon G adapter though. Which is said to be comparable to the Voigtlander.

http://cameraquest.com/adp_micro_43_fd.htm

6. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Thanks. Hopefully the lens is in as good a shape as it appears. I have the 45mm f/1.8 for "normal" shooting so this lens will be dedicated to slide scanning and macro stuff. (link to the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170843379743)

I know the Voigtlander adapters are well made (I actually had one pass through my hands last year but at the time had no plans to buy a Nikon lens!) but i'm not willing to pay any more than what the fotodiox adapter cost, and preferably less. Infinity focus is not an issue given my intended use.

7. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Received the lens today. Haven't even ordered the adapter yet so I can't test it out, but other than a few specs of dust inside the the lens the glass looks good and the aperture blades are snappy and clean. So far it seems like a home run for $90 but the proof will be in the photos. Now I gotta get busy picking out an adapter.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Does it matter if the blades are oily? The big downside is that it slows down the blades. It's a problem in automatic operation, but for an adapted lens in full manual operation I don't think of it as much of a hinderance. Obviously it depends how oily they are. I have some blades that are so oily that it takes a second for them to move to the aperature I set. Most though, show no human noticeable lag at all.

Some people say that the oil will vaporize and coat the lens. It's not like the oil/grease was locked away in an air tight part of the lens to begin with. If that's a problem, whether the oil/grease is on the blade or where it was originally wouldn't seem to make much difference other than the increased surface area.

9. rapsy125

rapsy125 Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2012
    I have a couple of Rainbow Imaging adapters. Got it from Amazon. Reasonably cheap and works. Metabones also works great, but more expensive than Rainbow Imaging.

Cheers.

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Probably not an operational hitch at all. Mostly sale/resale value. Some sellers are unaware of the problem.

For me, I'd rather pay the extra for clean blades than get a bargain and see if it gets worst or not.

11. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

$90 is a steal for one of the sharpest lenses ever made. It is great for copy work too as it has an ultra-flat field.

The only thing it can't do is make good portraits. It is unflatteringly sharp and the background bokeh tends to be harsh. But it wasn't designed for portraiture and it excels for macro use.