Micro Nikkor 55mm? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qball, Oct 15, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Wondering if anyone has one of these and has tried this on their camera.

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like mine. Check my blog for some samples. I haven't updated it in a while but there are plenty of shots with the Micro Nikkor 55. I have the 2.8 but there is also a 3.5.
    Most of the macros are on pages 3-6 as that time of year I shot lots of flowers.

Micro Four Thirds User Forum - Lisa O's Photo Blog

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I use it on the G1 :biggrin:
    It's the 2.8 version.
    Very good lens, both for macro work and general photography
    Here's a sample that may have been posted here before

[​IMG]

Owning the 55/2.8, the 105/2.8 and the 200/4 Micro Nikkors, the 55 is finally the one that gets least use, because you have to go quite close to the subject.

CU,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 4
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    It's a good lens, I don't use mine much (f/3.5 version) since I've settled on the 105mm focal length for most of my macro work with insects, but it would be a great lens for flowers and the like, I just like the ability to stay that bit further away from flighty insects that a 105mm ,macro lens gives me.

Barrie

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've had both the f/2.8 and f/3.5 versions of the Micro-Nikkor 55mm. After trying them out on my G1 I sold the f/2.8. The f/3.5 version is much sharper in close-ups but not excellent at longer range. It is optimal at f/5.6 and extremely sharp there. My f/2.8 was also less contrasty; in my film days I used it for landscapes because it was sharp all over the frame, but also then I preferred the 55/3.5 for close-ups.

So for close-ups get a Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5. For longer distances try to find a Nikkor AI 50/1.8, mine is excellent from f/2.8 onwards. My Micro-Nikkor 105/4 is excellent on the D300s, but not great on the G1. Don't know about all the other Micro-Nikkors.

6. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    another vote for the 55mm f3.5

7. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I've never really done much macro photography, but I recently got a 55/3.5 for getting plant and insect photos. I also got the M2 extension tube, but it's not really not very useable without a tripod and a light source.

Here's my favorite from the 55 so far:

[​IMG]
    Witch hazel

• Like Like x 2
  8. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    It is an extremely good lens
    I have the 3.5 - I could post you an image of a flower or something, but the following is a jpeg taken as close as you can get with the lens, (without extension tubes), at f11 and ISO 1600,hand held at 1/500 sec

(a point to maybe think about is that it is a Nikkor SLR lens, designed for a full 35mm film, (let's say a FF sensor in digital terms), - on the Nikon DSLRs you can "tell the camera" what manual lens it is - I think that it is recommended that for the best results you tell your D300, (cropped sensor), that this lens is an 85mm - (maybe 55mm x 1.5, (1.6)- but it's only a guess on my part!) - anyway, - maybe this allows the cameras smart software to make some adjustments - with M43 cams there is no such information passed to the camera)
    I do not think, however that this really matters, with M43 stuff as the M43 sensor, (even smaller than the sensor on the D300) only uses part of the lens and all the results that I have seen - good and bad images - have been good - if you see what I mean - IMHO, it is certainly worth spending up to £100 to get a good (condition) copy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. funkag

funkag New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the P.C. version of the 55mm 3.5 and it has proven to be great thus far. From what I've read, I think it is the first multi-coated version of the lens. I paid about $25 from KEH for it, since it has a gouged up (but usable) filter ring.

11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    The 55mm F3.5 Micro-Nikkor is optimized for 1:10 reproduction, the 55/2.8 has a floating element for use at all ranges. I have both lenses, and the 60/2.8 AF-Micro-Nikkor. All are first-rate.

55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor on the DCS200ir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No need to refocus for IR, that is how good the color correction is.

12. Fisheads

Fisheads New to Mu-43

Hi,
    Proud new owner of a G1, and a handful of legacy lenses. One of my first choices was the 55/3.5 macro nikkor. This is my first post and image upload...
    Eric

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fisheads

Fisheads New to Mu-43

These images were sized to 900x600 in PS as jpegs (same pixel size as the B&W flower images post above mine) yet my images came out much smaller when posted...where did i go off the beam???
    Thanks,
    Eric

14. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    You're fine--just click on a thumbnail and you'll see the full version.

15. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    I ended up picking up a mint 2.8 with original case, and 6 filters for $115. The macro is amazing how close you can get.

Thx.

16. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Lisa, I love your photos. Always enjoy revisiting your site and viewing some of those beautiful flower shots again! wonderful work :)