1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro four thirds weaknesses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jerrin1, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton
    Hi everyone, I am about to swap my Canon system for an Olympus system. I was using a Canon 7D mark 11, a Canon 70D, Canon 100mm f2.8L IS macro, Canon 100mm - 400mm f4.5/5.6L IS 11 and a Canon 300mm f2.8L IS, Canon 2 x TC 111, Canon Speedlight 600EX Rt and a Mieke ringflash for macro and bird/wildlife. In the next few days I will change that lot for 2 x Olypus OM D EM 1 bodies, a Zuiko 60mm macro a Zuiko 40mm - 150mm f2.8 + 1.4 extender and have on order the Panasonic 100mm - 400mm and the Zuiko 300mm f4. I would be most grateful if anyone out there has any observations on any weaknesses I might encounter with my new system compared to my Canon system. I do shoot a few images of small birds in woodland so will low light be a problem? I tended to use my Speedlight in low light to compensate for the Canon sensors, though the 7D mark 11 isn't too bad. I will probably purchase the Olympus FL600R flash gun, but is there a third party equivalent that anyone can recommend, please? My reason for changing was weight. The Canon system, together with water bladder, weighed in at 8 - 9 Kgs and I walk up to 15 miles - it was getting too much. Thanks a lot.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm sure others more used to shooting wildlife will be better able to comment but...

- Worse AF acquisition and tracking on moving subjects. This one will be the major one that takes getting used to.
    - Slightly more DoF (not a bad thing for you though).
    - More noise grain, not objectionable for me but your tastes may differ. It might get to be more problematic with the slower lenses under canopy.
    - Worse battery performance. You might want to get more spares and maybe the battery grip.

Flash - Metz have a range of TTL compatible units for the system. Otherwise, the Nissin i40 is similar to the FL-600R and Panasonic equivalent FL360L, if you want higher power there's the FL580L too or the older Olympus FL-50Rs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Seeing how most threads like this are just bait for arguments all I will say at this moment is I guess you should have researched all this before selling your current gear and pre-ordering two expensive lenses.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The biggest weakness of any camera system is the photographer. You had a capable setup and will soon own another capable setup. You might need to learn to shoot a little differently but you are getting some top line stuff so I don't know what if anything you are worried about. Enjoy your new gear.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The Canon gear you had was probably better for birds in flight photos according to other posts I've read, but the Olympus gear will be a lot lighter and more compact. That's the benefit and the tradeoff. Your back will thank you. And like spatulaboy said, in the end, it's up to the photographer to make the best of their gear. I'm still learning. Enjoy your new stuff. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    My opinions on the subject... (Link)

7. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton
    You clearly missed my reason for changing to micro four thirds: and I am interested in the views of others who have changed over. I conducted extensive research but didn't find the answers I was looking for. Better to ask directly those people who actually use the micro four thirds system than rely on mere reviews carried out by professional photographers who, sometimes, have their own agendas.

8. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton
    Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the battery life issue but always have battery grips fitted: the OM D EM 1 comes with a free battery grip at the moment. I wasn't sure about the Nissin as the review for the Canon compatible one I looked at last month wasn't very good. Nevertheless. since you have mentioned it I will take another look. I will also take a look at the Panasonic models. Metz did not seem to have the GN I was looking for.

9. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I shot Nikon in the film days.
    15 years ago, when the revolution came, I tried a number of systems before settling on Nikon when switching to digital (I liked the way the images came off the sensor = less PP)
    Bullied into buying an E-M1 by my assistants and wife six months ago(ish), who wanted me to re-ignite the hobbyist enthusiasm I used to have, before everything I shot was for clients.
    I soon realised the many advantages to the Olympus system, and found ways to circumnavigate the challenges.
    If the E-M1 II is as good as I think it will be, I'll be dumping five Nikon bodies and a brace of lenses.

I have to admit, this wasn't the way I expected it to go when I bought the E-M1

• Like Like x 3
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    DR will be about the same, If you do a lot of birds you might be frustrated with the worse tracking AF, its not as good in low light.

Honestly, you seem to be a long tele guy so the only benefits you will see are from the doubling of the focal length due to the crop factor (so double the reach of your Canon gear and less weight to carry around), a wider DoF letting you shoot at larger apertures (I guess that will help low light), and the benefits of Olys IBIS (again helpful in low light). Everything else will be the same or worse.

M43 tend to be faster and more responsive shooters and better travel cameras. In general they are very versatile. Probably the most versatile system out there. They are decent/good at everything, but only really excel for travel, street, or documentary, where they are among the best. Pick up an Oly 25 or PL15 or 25 and take it on your next walk around town, birthday party, or whatever. Also think about picking up a G7/GH4/GX8. They have the DFD focusing so tracking focus will be much better and faster with the PL100-400 (and any other of the newer Pana lenses)

11. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton
    A truly excellent blog: thank you. As a result of your comments I will keep my 7D mark 11 and 100mm - 400mm for the time being. I recently set up one of the AF cases for swallows and another for dragonflies in flight. None of the Olympus professionals on You Tube highlight the problems of BIF the way you have. I mainly take images of seaguls playing with leaves, as they are more entertaining than birds in horizontal flight. Other than that, the songbirds are normally sitting on branches. I think the main benefit for me will be in macro, which is my main interest: but in the winter I am stuck with birds and mamals (other than the butterfly farm). I will contiue to read your blogs.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    You clearly missed the "for now" part of my comment. If you stick around here long enough you will find that post like yours pop up every week or so and are just trolls looking to start an argument. Mostly because lots of people feel threatened by the advances in the mirrorless cameras. I wanted to see how you responded before taking the time to draft a detailed reply, my time is precious and while I love helping people I don't like wasting time on a flame bait thread.

Like you, I switched from Canon after 20+ years but my last Canon camera was the 7D (not the mk2 like you had). I have to cook dinner but will provide some of my insight on the system. You have been given some great responses already.

Ronnie

P.S. Welcome to the ยต4/3 world and hope you stick around and are active on the forum. There are not that many dedicated wildlife photographers on the forum.

13. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton
    Thank you for your insight. I almost bought one EM 1 and a GX8 to partner it but the GX8 only shoots at about 5 FPS. I am used to 10 FPS and even my 70D seems slow by comparison and I see the difference in when, for instance, capturing a seagull diving into the water. I hope that I will develop a technique which will allow for the tracking issue. Most of my images, however, are concerned with macro: birding is mainly for the winter months.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    BIF is not the strong point of Olympus. In your EVF you will always have delay,which people keep saying is less in one camera than the other. With Canon delay is zero. You have great Canon glass and you will lose a ton of money selling it. Get Metabones converter.Keep your expensive glass.BIF will not be as good as native glass,but you are already stepping down a notch to get less weight. Oly high teles are not light either. Go to the gym and work out. Then you will be able to get the best BIF pictures at less cost,if your post is really serious.

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Just in case you weren't aware... I'm not sure which camera bodies have it, or what the limitations are, but some of the newer Oly bodies have in camera focus stacking.

16. Jerrin1

Jerrin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Wolverhampton

In the film days I had quite a few cameras but my favourites, prior to autofocus, were my Olympus OM1 and Olympus OM2, both in black, of course. Once autofocus took off I had Canon EOS 650, 600, 10 and 5. Completely gave up and sold everything 23 years ago then took it up once more in June 2015. I expected to continue with APS-C but over the last few weeks have had to accept that I just cannot carry it all over 15 miles or for 5 or more hours at a time. Just don't want to give up the walking or the photography - hence the move to M43.

17. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I have to admit, the aching or painful forearms after a full day shooting a wedding with the D4, didn't do anything to slow down my interest in the E-M1

I still have an OM1 on the shelf ;)

18. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    The Panasonic FL580 is a beast according to its specs, but someone posted a comment here or on another forum that it doesn't support RC mode on the E-M1. I don't know if he meant it doesn't work as a slave or just that it doesn't work as a commander.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think you will find that M43 is an excellent performer in macro. Check out some of the threads in the mu-43 fora featuring macro, and other sites with macros shot with M43 cameras. I like Robin Wong's macro work. Search his site for articles like this.
    Robin Wong: Insect Macro Photography

Here's some others.
    Mirrorless Macro Photography: My Micro 4/3 Mirrorless Macro Equipments

Plus the new firmware provides in-camera focus stacking and bracketing.
    Utilising the OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0's Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing Modes in Insect Photography, with Professional Photographer Kazuo Unno

And, as you grow into your M43 system, try shooting some birds and wildlife. I think you'll find that it does passably well. There are other threads on these fora featuring wildlife photography.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What kind of power do you need? Is the 64 AF-1 not enough? They also have ones all the way down the power and feature range (58, 52, 44, 36...)