1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Micro Four Thirds Not Just for Pro Work but For Fine Art

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by penfan2010, Apr 25, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The Online Photographer is having a special sale on fine art prints made with a :43:. Whether or not you dig the images or care to buy, what I find interesting is that the person selling the prints is one of TOPs regular columnist, Ctein, who has been a (wet) darkroom craftsman for a long time. But despite his long-time expertise in film, he shoots digitally with an Oly E-P1.

In keeping with Glulio's separate post on removing the fear of shooting :43: for professional jobs, here's another example of our beloved format holding its own in fine art (which has also been aptly demonstrated, BTW, by many on this forum).

The Online Photographer: The $19.95 Micro 4/3 Print Offer

• Like Like x 6
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Siiiiiiiigh, US only :frown:

3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Acck, sorry Nick!

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I'm going to order one. It'll do a few things,

it'll help me understand what Ctein means when he says it has excellent print quality,

it'll look good on the wall,

it'll give me a benchmark for prints from my m43 cameras and lenses, cell phone cameras, compact cameras, 35mm film, medium format film,

Will show me the difference between a quality printer and a local drugstore printer.

Finally anytime I feel the urge to upgrade, I'll realize what I have is good enough.

• Like Like x 3
  6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Songs - AMEN to that! Partly out of blind loyalty to being my first :43:, but also because it is still a beaut to shoot with (especially with the Oly 45mm), I still have my beat up "old" E-P1.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Oh bummer, I thought at first we could have our OWN images printed.

8. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    I think Ctein would accept your order, but 19.95$ is not sufficient. :tongue:

Sf

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So it'll save you money... :cool:

10. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    If you read the comments he'll only charge you $250 for your own photo (first print), then $100 per extra print.

Steve

GH2, 14-42, 14, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8

11. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    While the subject matter doesn't speak to me that much, I just ordered. For 19.95 it shoild be worth it just to see the quality of a professional shot professionally printed from our cameras. Like others have said, it might serve as a sanity check next time I feel the need to upgrade. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  12. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Honestly, what's so great about that photo?
    Or is it solely the technical aspect? One comment put it right, where it asks which level of body could've achieved an equivalent picture OOC. Maybe the d7k, or a d800?. When one reads the pp details Ctein posted as a follow-up, his effort really is a promotion for large sensor cameras, like another comment stated.
    Working that long on a few photos would easily net a body that puts out pictures of better technical quality, if one puts the hours post processing in his/her paid job instead ;)

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    He said he happened to have his camera with him. You are more likely to take pictures with small format cameras.

He didn't go to the bridge expecting to take pictures. He snapped, saw what he liked and wondered if he could make a good print.

The reason for this print sale is that he claims that you cannot see the results on screen, that the print is much better. You can either trust him, or you can dismiss. I'm more curious than anything else.

As to what's so great about the photo, it's marketable to people who like bridges, people who like clouds, and people who like moons, rivets, San Francisco etc...

It's a technical exercise, where he thinks it's both good art and good tech demo.

14. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

My two bits worth

Hey, guys!

Now that the sale is almost over, I figure it's safe to jump in the water, sharks or not [grin].

First, let me explain something about the way the world of art works. There is no photograph out there that is loved by the majority of photography-lovers. Not a single one. The genre and tastes are too fragmented for that.

Sort of self-evident if you think about it: B&W vs. color, landscape vs. urban, people vs. things, formalist vs. casual composition, staged vs. candid. The list goes on. I don't mean that people are antagonistic towards the subgenres they don't fall in love with, but they just don't care.

So, for any of you who are left cold by the photograph I put up for sale, well guess what? You're not the center of the universe. Neither am I. Nobody is. All you get to say is that it doesn't appeal to you.

Important corollary: you are the norm! Most people will agree with you. About any photograph. Certainly about mine.

Here are some numbers for you: TOP currently has over 30,000 physical readers. By the time the sale ends at midnight, we will have sold close to 800 prints of a photograph that some of you can't figure out why anyone would buy. That's a fabulous number. You can't figure it out? Not my problem!

It's also only about one in 40 of our readers. So, 39 out of 40 people agree with you!

And thank heavens for that. Imagine what would happen if the majority of people actually loved that photograph. We'd have over 15,000 people clamoring for a thousand prints, the sale would shut down in three hours, and nearly half of Mike's readership would be really, really pissed off at us.

This is reality: Art is a popularity contest, but it's not a democracy. It doesn't require a majority vote for you to be successful, just enough people have to like what you do to pay the bills.

If you can do that, then it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks.

Oh, and by the way, I really do LOVE that photograph. Do you seriously think I'd want hundreds of copies of a photograph out there that I didn't really really like?

(As an aside: no, a better camera doesn't make my printing go faster, any more than printing a 4 x 5 negative goes faster than printing a 35mm one: see my comments to the column on TOP.)

(and BTW, I only charge $85 for 11x14 printing. Such a bargain [vbg])

pax \ Ctein
    [ Please excuse any word-salad. MacSpeech in training! ]
    ======================================
    -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://ctein.com*
    -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com*

• Like Like x 14
  15. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Ctein, I didn't realize you were a member of the forum. Love the sentiment above.

16. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    An excellent response.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think the shot makes more of an interesting print idea than just a shot to look at over the web. I've found that with my own photography. There is a shot that just really intrigues me that I've taken and I go and print it. It just doesn't work. Then there are the just ok shots that I go and print, and I find myself liking the shot more and more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear Djarum,

There's an idea there that I hadn't thought about before. I am entirely print-oriented. Always have been. The main reason I went the color negative rather than the color slide route was that it was much, much more difficult to get even tolerable prints from slides than from negatives. Mind you, that was 40-odd years ago. Today, if you're photographing on film and printing digitally, you can print with equal facility from either medium. But for me, it was always about the print.

So, I don't think in terms of screen images. I mean, sure, I can look at them, but I don't think I appreciate or react to them the same way many people do. And, when it's the case of a photograph of my own, I'm pretty much incapable of visualizing it as anything but a print.

Consequently, I think you're quite right for a certain fraction of the audience: they simply don't look at the photograph the same way I do.

Thank you very much for the lovely insight.

pax \ Ctein
    [ Please excuse any word-salad. MacSpeech in training! ]
    -- Ctein's Online Gallery http://ctein.com*
    -- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com*

• Like Like x 1
  19. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Ctein, I very much look forward to seeing your print for myself. I think I can tell there's going to be something more to it on-paper and full-sized than on our screens.

I've wondered what it would take to start trying to print decently for myself. I very much appreciate your candidly sharing your processing steps for this print. I may try my hand at it - of course badly at first. It's about learning and avocation for me, thank goodness I have a day job! ;)

As to a larger format sensor needing less post ... somehow I doubt someone looking to create the highest detailed, most beautifully colored print he or she could make would skimp on post.

Thanks for sharing. Very much.

20. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Ctein's Print Arrived Today

Ctein's finr art print arrived in the mail today. Gorgeous craftsmanship--I'm very pleased to own one, and am inspired to milk my "aging" E-P1 for all its worth!

Thanks, Ctein!