1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

micro four thirds in HK?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Adubo, May 7, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i'll be in HK (Causeway bay area most likely) this coming May 18-22 and I'm having a hard time looking for m43 lenses and bodies (used and bnew) online that leads me to HK sellers.

anybody knows where can i find the cheapest prices for m43 stuff and film/accessories too?

i'm targeting to get these, if you can kindly assist me (range of price, where to buy)

sigma 30mm 2.8
    sigma 19mm 2.8
    samyang 7.5 fisheye
    olympus e-m5 prices (not sure if i'll buy one, might get a lumix g2 or gh1 if i can find a used one)
    sony NEX-7 (not sure if i'll buy one, might get a lumix g2 or gh1 if i can find a used one)

film cameras (cheap ones) and accessories (straps, film cases, lenses)

... and maybe you're interested in shooting street, i'd be happy to meet mu-43 HK members :biggrin:

thanks,

Andrew

2. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Isn't DigitalRev based in HK?

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    for really cheap film cameras, try out Ap Liu street at Sham Shui Po station.

if you are into collectors item, try out kimberly court at Tsim Tsau Tsui.

for 2nd hand electronics (micro four thirds) i used Uwants which was a hong kong craigslist for locals. however if you can't read traditional chinese font then.....you might want to check out those same places at Ap Liu street (local street camera shops) they had some Olympus Pen Ep series and some Lumix GF series out and about.

actually going back to hk again this month. working in Korea is a lesson in insanity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i've been to Uwants and although they're priced competitively, i'd still choose to hunt these stuff on the streets (online stuff are often more expensive than on the streets--based on my HK experience)

thanks! heaps of help!

see you around HK! (hopefully)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I'm not here to offer any help but just wishing i could go back and do HK all over again but properly this time. I was sick after the first night i ate some street meat, as "north americans" would call it(correct me if im wrong). It took me almost my whole week there to recover slept most of the time in my hotel.

Have fun in HK and hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

hey Peezie, thanks mate!

i'm very fond of eating chinese food and you know MNL, we have one of the worst, if not the worst, street food you can find (aesthetically, and hygiene is no better... but tastes like heaven)... i'm all for it!

pig's anus, intestines, heart, liver, kidney, blood... i'm all good for all those! :biggrin:

8. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Woah if you really love those bits of the animals you should come up here to Korea then!

9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    I've been meaning to go to Korea too, but my main interest is on the Northern part :biggrin: taking photos of stuff is hard though, as far as I can remember from reading a blog/photo essay from eric laffourge.

Anyhoo, do you have an idea on how much is a nikon F2 with 50 1.4 in HK? And how easy (or hard) to find one? Thanks mate!

I like s.korea's kimbop (please correct me if I'm wrong here. Its like a Japanese Maki)

10. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Cool. I'll be in HK on those same dates too. I'm staying over at Tsim Sha Tsui though. If (by any crazy chance) you're looking for a m43 PanLeica 25mm, I'll be glad to sell you mine. :biggrin:

11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i seen Nikon F2 bodys going for 1200-2000 hong kong dollars.

lens sold separately for around 850-1300 hkd.

havent seen that exact combo anywhere.

lots of people going to hk on the same date eh? since im going for the weekend. but unfortunately its a family trip on those same dates you guys mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    can you please PM me the price? might consider it if i don't find any of the lenses mentioned... (my original option was the nokton 25 but thought i dont want to give up AF for a 0.95 "fastness")

PL25 was next in line but then the sigma came along and it's real cheap too.

we used to stay in TST often, this time, in some reason i dont know (maybe a better hotel deal), they decided to stay in Causeway bay instead

13. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    wow... that sounds much more expensive than buying it locally. thanks KS!

(lens is cheaper though, might get one of those if i find one)

i'll be all over HK, it's a family shopping trip... i'm they wont mind me strolling away for a few days

14. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    :rofl:
    Hahaha! Nice!
    Our stomach is "weather sealed" for these kind of street foods. :)

Have a nice trip "kabayan".

Enjoy your camera hunting in HK.
    Hope you find what you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    well, i can eat almost anything street food, but can never take tap water... my stomach isn't all that weather proof! :biggrin:

thanks mate! hope to find these on my trip. these aren't readily available to us here in the Pi

16. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Im currently here in Japan.

Prices of the lens here are as follows:

sigma 19mm - Php 10,300 (approx)
    sigma 30mm - Php 9,900 (approx)

If you want I can buy you one and you can pay it back when I come back to Manila.
    However I'll be here until end of June.

PM me for details.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    oye mate, thanks! that's very nice of you... i'll make sure to PM you if ever i don't find these lenses in HK... and i'll provide you with all the tasty street delis MNL can offer... the best ones!

18. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Glad to help, just some observations I had, but recently the prices in Seoul are getting as high as hk.

For example

For the Olympus pen f accessories and stuff it's so much more expensive in Korea than it is in hong kong.

19. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    F2's around here (same with most film cameras with a great background) are abundant, but most are beat up, pristine or good conditioned film cameras are mostly rare and still priced competitively... most probably stored for too long and people don't want to use film anymore (aside for the intended shooters)

they sell it online for 3000-4000PHP, thats about 600-700 HKD