Micro Four Thirds for rich hipsters?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Every person I bump into with a M43 setup here in LA is your run-of-the-mill Hollywood hipster, affluent socialite and/or a downtown LA art geek! I'm beginning to wonder if M43 is a cult-status thing? :eek::smile:

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I think that says more about the friends you keep and how much you have influenced them :biggrin:

3. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Is that good or bad?

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What would you expect? Aren't these the kinds of people more willing to embrace new technology? To do their own research instead of just buying what the commissioned salesperson sells them? To shop at a ("real") camera store instead of Best Buy?

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree with ~tc~. m4/3 is cutting edge. Somebody else somewhere suggested it is the Leica of the EVIL genre. I guess there is something to that though 'Leica' is a bit of an over statement. Even if I could afford Leica I would avoid it. For the same reason I would never wear a watch that costs as much as an expensive car.

Anyway ... I always want to have the best tool for the job within reason. Whatever the job. It makes sense even economically. You know, the old saying: The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten.

If Olympus survives they and Panasonic should spend some money on advertising so the masses might understand just how good m4/3 really is. It has the chance to equal or even surpass APSC due to the wonder of portability and compactness. Maybe Panasonic can even do it on its own. The intrinsic advantages are huge. If they come out with an answer to the Nex-7, or even better, in a body I will never look back. I'd drop twice what I paid for my system for a truly pro level m4/3.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, just look at me. They don't come any hipper. Hippier? Whatever the word is.... xD

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have yet to meet anyone else with a micro 43 camera... bummer.
    Entry level DSLRs seem to be required mommy attire lately.... which imo is counterintuitive as they would most benefit from a compact camera that fits easily inside the diaper bag.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That would be embarrassing if you grabbed the wrong thing out of the diaper bag. ;)

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Not really. A lot of those moms go DSLR route to take pics of soccer action. Entry-level DSLRs are the right choice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. madvette

madvette Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    El Monte, CA
    I've been seeing a ton of guys wearing neon green glasses and small hats shooting on the street in the Los Angeles area. Mostly with E-P1's and E-P2's.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What about the people that bought their µ4/3 cameras at Best Buy? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Best Buy and Future Shop give me the best deals anywhere so that's where I shop if I can. Before µ4/3 came about, I had to buy all my Olympus product from a "real camera store", through more knowledgeable staff.

Best Buy has cut down their stock here to just the E-PM1 however, so if I wanted an E-P3 or E-PL3 I would still have to go to a real camera store... However, Future Shop (also owned by Best Buy) is the only place in town where I can pick up an EMA-1 mic adapter. Go figure...

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

yeh... with the stroller infant at the mall shopping.... Its become as much of a symbol and equally as counter intuitive as the SUV that doesnt leave the pavement.

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    M43 is very expensive ststem with no budget options like nifty fifty. Speaking of which I spent this morning shooting with Canon T1i & 50mm f1.8 II ($100 lens). I will share my experience soon. I was especially interested how does it stack up against my E-PM1+Oly 45 (far more expensive kit).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I take it you don't have an EOS adapter, otherwise I'd love to hear how the $100 EF 50mm f/1.8II stacks up against the $400 m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 on the same body. ;)

Quite frankly, I'm happy with adapting legacy 50s to my PEN, and prefer the narrower field of view. However, I do get your point. An inexpensive native option would be nice.

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    All I'm saying is that an entry level DSLR (as compared to a P&S or :43: cam) is the right tool for getting best pics of kids playing sports. Moms (or anyone) who make that choice don't deserve to be derided for it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to have an adapter and already tried that lens on E-PL2 a while ago. It performs MUCH better on Canon body.

18. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Better make it the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, unless you like having no aperture.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, I don't have any friends with M43 cameras. Though I'm slowly influencing them!

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Our local "real camera store" (Dodd Camera) doesn't carry micro four thirds in their store, but they do have them on-line...