Micro Four Thirds: Finally In The "Big Leagues"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, May 4, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tonight,
    My E-PL5 was denied entry into an Arena football game because it was an interchangeable lens camera.

Congratulations, we made it! - We're finally in the league of acceptance with DSLRs...:wink:

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should of slapped a body cap lens on there!

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good idea but...
    Wouldn't have made a difference....

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Bummer. Did they keep it safe while you saw the game or was that the end of your excursion ?

Maybe time to wangle a press-pass ?

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    They said they would have - but I elected to take it back to my vehicle...I still enjoyed the game though..:smile:

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Do you mean that someone at the gate actually knew what a :43: camera was? They recognized it on their own as a MILC? Wow!:cool:

8. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Really interesting PR move. It's not like arena football is so popular they could not use some more fans. You would think they would promote you taking photos and publicizing their sport.
    Rich

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Venues are the drivers of this rule. That's why the rules change so much.

I feel after Boston it's going to be almost impossible to take a camera bag anywhere.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I don't know the level of detail of their identification but it's really not that hard to identify a lens release button :smile:

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Something more plain Jane like a GX1 ana 20mm and I think you would have been fine. I never had a problem under similar rules with the GF1. Usually I have a long lens in a pocket.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Gary,
    I had the M. Zuiko 20mm ƒ2.8 on it...and I took off the VF-2 also...Security was not "stupid" in this case :smile:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Edit:
    The first checker even got a 2nd opinion from her boss who pretty much said the same thing - which was that while both agreed that it was not a professional camera, the fact that it has interchangeable lenses made it a "no-no"...:smile:

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I also tuck the camera in a little camera bag/case thingie, usually I just unzip it and peel part of the bag/case down to show it's a camera.

Tough crowd in SA.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I hope that's not the case. It would be a really dumb move considering that it was individuals with cameras sharing their photos with the FBI that made it possible to find the bombers.

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I agree, but the venues don't care about that. They care about being sued.

17. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I was stopped by security when I tried to enter a friendship soccer game with my fathers old canon tx and 50 1.8 fd :)
    I just Laughed at them :)

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have found that most venus have their base rules on photography and then individual performers/groups/et al, may add additional rules on top of the venu's rules.

At the Hollywood Bowl, there is a no-professional no-interchangeable-lens camera rule, yet I saw spectators handing dSLR's to security so they could get photos of themselves. Go figure.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    First company that makes a large sensor fast super-zoom could make some $$.

In the meantime, I just might hafta' put the Fuji X20 with it's 28-112mm equivalent, F2.0-2.8 lens on stand-by....:smile:

20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    This is why I am surprised there has not been another camera like Canon G1x. Big sensor and some zoom range .
    Security is given different instructions in different places for different events. My legacy lenses to beused with Gx1 were ccarefully examined , for , example , before a concert to make sure they did not exceed a certain focal length I assume.