Micro four-thirds cameras are wimpy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    [FONT=&quot]Micro four-thirds cameras are all wimpy – small and light. (Almost “girly.”)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When your neighbour or brother-in-law whips out a Nikon or Canon rig for some special occasion, you want to have a camera at least that big. And you should have at least one more lens – and that should be big too. And, you’ll need a big bag for that gear. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When entering a room, a hush should descend – everyone should know that a “real” photographer has arrived.
    [FONT=&quot]When discussing equipment (and you should do that often), you should be able to explain you have more mega-pixels than God, and you should never fail to say you have a “DSLR,” or better yet, that you have “Professional” gear. (After all, nothing less will do.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Relatively few people know the names Panasonic or Olympus. Clearly, we should stick to brands that have the greatest name recognition possible.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This is all so obvious. I don’t know why we’re wasting our time.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But if you do happen to see one of those sad m4/3 owners happily clicking away, don’t spoil their fun. They don’t know any better.[/FONT]
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Well ignorance is bliss...and I didn't know any better when I bought my m43. My brother bought a canon shortly after I bought my pen, and he's kicking himself as I have an e-pl1 and four lenses for what he paid for his cam and kit lens. Now he is asking if he can put my lenses on his canon with an adapter, cause glass for his is more than the camera was. Welcome to canikon and listening to your girlfriend is all I keep saying.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I had a Nikon D1 and then D1x when digital photography got serious... Then realized that the real leading edge of progress (rather than bleeding edge of expense) was in an entirely different direction... and switched to a Panasonic FX01 - took more photographs in the first month than the previous 2 years with a 'pro' camera.

M4/3rds is still in the sweet spot, for me in terms of capability vs size and usability. I'm looking forward to an Olympus pen which competes with the Fuji X100 for usability (just going on specs and reviews, haven't handled one and the picture quality plus fixed lens takes it out of consideration for me)...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

I like being underestimated and surprising people with results, rather than the other way round. ;)
    • Like Like x 6
  5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I have an E-P1 and I use to go seascaping with a friend who had a Canon 5D Mk1. My E-P1 survived but the Canon was sacrificed to Neptune.

I thought the white E-P1 was a bit girly but when chatting to an Olympus rep at PMA Sydney in 2009, I was told it was popular with men in France. Fine, I decided to take silver as there wasn't a black one.

I now have a Nikon D90 as my main camera. Both are good cameras and have their relative pros and cons. I don't feel wimpy with my Olympus E-P1 – after all, it is tougher than a full-frame Canon.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Couldn't help but smile - I'm a French guy with a white EP1. Didn't know I was so precisely smack in a segment ! But at least I understand why it was harder to find than the silver.
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    We need something like those underwater cases except that this one just makes the camera look bigger. Maybe even adjustable size to fit with your ego that day or the particular group of friends you are with.
  8. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Or this!

Attached Files:

9. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I often get mistaken for being the local newspaper "stringer" when I'm lugging the Nikon Dxxx bodies and the f2.8 zooms. It's nice when people get out of your way, but I honestly have more photography "fun" with my MFT. I don't get hassled entering museums, shopkeepers don't chase me away from their fronts thinking I'm taking pictures of their OSHA safety hazard that's been half-fixed by their brother-in-law, parents don't glare and put themselves between me and their small children. There's a time and place for both types of platforms, but the "carry" camera to have is definitely an MFT!
  10. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    that is exactly the reason I got it, it may look wimpy, but that small and light is a winner factor when you need portability with great image quality.
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I will always look at the latest developments, but it's the overall capability and results that I look at. There are cameras and lenses that are better (and worse) in certain respects, but I have fun, take more pictures, get good to great image quality and have my gear with me.

I have been doing some shoots for an engineering firm recently, and commented on that other forum about how my M4/3 kit made the job easier:

In praise of my serious compact (M4/3) system
  12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    And do the guys with the biggest, ah......lenses, really get the girls? Maybe the guys with the biggest cameras are making up for other inadequacies.

Me, I love the small, precision built, beautiful m4/3 cameras that can both focus and do live view at the same time. I value capability over large size and therefore choose m4/3.
  13. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    It's just a matter of perspective. Probably in Hasselblad forum they're saying: "Full frame is for the weak, and we are more macho than them"

(Just kidding):biggrin:
  14. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Wimpy? I think NOT!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/5630397587/" title="Panasonic GH2 Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm by soundimageplus, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="339" alt="Panasonic GH2 Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    My, you're a big boy... :eek:
  16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes they are wimpy. Bigger is ALWAYS better. That's why I still carry one of these:

• Like Like x 6
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks for the warning. :eek:

Crosses off WHITE from the G3 colour shortlist.
  18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

I am currently devising a fibreglass Nikon D3x so that my GF1 will fit snugly inside without anyone realising.

This should keep the techno showoffs quiet when they are brandishing their heavy DSLR kits + 5 lenses + flash + tripod and still allow me to capture the image while they are deciding what lens to use and fit their flash etc!

Methinks the old adage applies in this case - "Size is not everything"

19. Ihavenewfs

Ihavenewfs Mu-43 Regular

I love it too - especially when people say "you took that with that?" The person who doesn't buy into my PEN is my boss...just the other day he sent me out to take pics of a building we're buying saying "use your real camera" (aka D300) :rolleyes:

20. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Wimpy? Moi?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1