Micro Four Thirds camera with no LCD?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DonTom, May 28, 2012.

1. Am I the only one that would buy one of these?
    I love using the VF2 on my E-PL1, apart from it looking funny...
    I can't remember the last time I composed a shot using the rear screen. I also "chimp" using the EVF, as I am getting near sighted, and live in bright places.
    I know LCD's aren't that expensive, but I would love something like the E-PM1 without the screen, and a port for the VF2 (or two ports...)
    Hopefully it would be lighter, thinner and cheaper.
    Any other takers?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    If it had a built in EVF maybe, it would be a bit crazy making the EVF optional and the camera having no screen.
  3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
  4. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Cameras had no LCD for longer than they have had :) I think it would help save battery, for one.
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Nope. I use the EVF on my GH2 95% of the time but I still wouldn't consider a model without a rear screen... It's uncomfortable and not particularly efficient to review sets of photos with your eye to the EVF and the other eye closed.

Besides, if you want to save battery just turn the rear screen off...
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I find it much easier to navigate menus and use the Super Control Panel on my E-P3 via the screen rather than in my VF2. I also find it easier to review photos on the screen when I want to do that.

While I much prefer to use the VF2 when taking photos, I don't want a camera without a screen simply because I find the screen much superior to the Vf2 when doing things other than taking photos, and using the camera well does require those other activities as well as the picture taking activities.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Isn't an LCD screen one of the biggest benefits on a Digital Camera? To be able to play back the image instantly and to be able to show friends. Small children love getting their pictures taken just so they can look at it on the screen. I definitely have some keepers because of this.
  8. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    This. Making it optional would be nuts, if you ask me. I mean, without a screen OR EVF, how are you supposed to frame the shot?

But, if it was built-in.. I probably would go for one. Have it fitted with WiFi and the ability to beam JPEGs straight to an Android device and I'm all set. I very, very rarely use the LCD for anything and I could do without just fine.
  9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I use mainly the E-PL1 and added the EVF about half a year after buying the camera. In my case it seems as if it's mainly the EVF which drains the battery. Since using the EVF I have never been able to take as many photographs per battery than I could before.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry, but the ability to compose through the rear screen rather than a viewfinder is one of the main reasons I choose to use mirrorless cameras, let alone the implications for menu surfing or image review. I voted no...

I sometimes wonder if I would even had developed in interest in photography if it wasn't for digital.
  11. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    For handheld shots I always use the viewfinder. Having my G1 or E-M5 on a tripod, however, I love the articulating LCD for composing the shot. Especially when my tripod is not fully extended and I would be required to lie flat in order to see through the viewfinder.
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think the savings would be worthwhile. I'm having a hard time imagining a camera that's lighter, thinner or cheaper than the E-PM1.

The place where a smaller (or no) LCD would help is ergonomics. It would allow the use of larger, rubberized buttons, the sort that work well with gloves. That I would appreciate. A 2.5" 920k LCD using 4:3 ratio would definitely make that easier.

13. Thanks for your replies folks! Personally, I wouldn't buy one as my main camera. And correct, it would be a bit mad making a VF optional, not all of us have VF2's....
    I would buy one as a second body, if it was compact enough. But probably there is no way it would be any more compact than the PM1 or GF3/5, as the depth required for the EVF is probably more than the thickness of those bodies. And the register distance means a body+ lens can only ever be a certain thickness.
    Cosina/Voigtlander did produce a body with no VF or RF for LSM lenses, the Bessa L, for ultra wide lenses using an add-on VF. Quite a quaint looking thing....
  14. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    A viewfinder means that you must put your head where your camera is, if you intend to frame your shot. For some of my photographs, I'd really rather not.
  15. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'd like an EVF that I can attach to my sunglasses :)
  16. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Not just yes, but "Hell Yes!!!"

Since I bought my VF3, my E-PL1's rear LCD has been off. I don't use it at all. I do all checking of images on the computer not on the camera, so I don't even do that.
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yep, I'd even buy an expensive ยต4/3 body w/o an LCD if I was gaining something in lieu of the LCD. I don't chimp much so for me it isn't much of a loss. On my first APS-C cameras I installed Hoodman devices which completely covered the LCD.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No way .. I love composing via LCD and it helps to navigate thro functions
  19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Definitely no! Just....no!
  20. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    No way! I love m4/3 because you can get high end cameras without viewfinders.