1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro Four Thirds Aperture Reference -- Your Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Promit, May 8, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been putting together a little something, though it's still a draft:
    MFT_Aperture_Reference.

Although there are plenty of charts showing lens options, you only ever get to see the beginning and end of the zooms. How does a 14-140 compare to the 14-42 in mid range? To the 40-150 in telephoto range? So this chart shows you, across the total range of focal lengths, what are your options.

The problem, of course, is that a number of lines are missing. I filled it out for all the primes and for the zooms that I have access to, but I need people's help finishing the list -- and also checking what I've got here, especially for the Pana 14-42 which I pulled from old EXIF. The rest are done using aperture priority and the E-P3 onscreen FL display.

If you'd like to contribute, I basically need the values in this spreadsheet filled in:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar09exrKWLJNdG0wR3Z4b3VDVmpiR3dyTGtta0xPRmc
    I've thrown it open for completely public editing, so please don't ruin my spreadsheet :smile: I'll copy the values into my local Excel version to produce the actual chart. I noticed that some lenses don't stop at exactly the focal lengths listed; slush of a few mm is okay so please do your best to estimate the value, and err on the low side when it's not exactly clear.

Oh and one comment regarding 4/3 lenses: I'm not opposed to including them, and I've actually put the 14-54 II in here. The chart is getting crowded though, so the rule is that they have to be contrast AF compatible and significantly different from any available m4/3 lens. Also they have to not overcrowd our chart :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 22
  2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Wow this should be a sticky. I can't wait until the graph is fully populated with all known MFT lenses. Good job!

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wow! This is a great idea and an outstanding reference. I've got the Oly 14-42 (I) at home...I'll take a look this evening to see if the max. apertures differ from those for the II version.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Evening bump!

5. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    Filled in a few for you. I also added a couple of columns for other lenses.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Thanks! I see we've got data for the 14-45 and 100-300 now, and I've updated the chart in the top post. That 14-45 graph is pretty unexpected; the newer kit lens gains a third of a stop in much of the range. Interesting difference that I don't remember anyone ever identifying before.

As far as the other lenses... I'm not entirely sure. Originally I was sticking to official lenses listed on the four-thirds.org site. That'd be one thing if it was AF lenses only, but Voigtlander is on the list. If the Voigtlander is fair game, then practically speaking the other manual lenses ought to be as well...I'm not so worried about the primes though.

7. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I'll double-check the data when I get home tonight. I just eyeballed the focal lengths off the lens barrel, which isn't terribly precise. I'll shoot some test shots and check the EXIF data to get you more precision.

What surprises me is how well the 14-140 does relative to the midrange zooms. Sure you give up a little speed in the 14-30 range, but not as much as I would have guessed -- and it even outperforms the kit lenses above 30mm.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Bump! I'm still short a lot of data :smile:

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry..... and the point is ?

K

10. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Knowledge! We're a curious bunch here. Curious as in - we want to know stuff. Not curious - we belong in a circus.

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Great job! I do have one niggle tho - why doesn't the chart go below f1?

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Basically, Excel sucks. I should've probably done the chart in Matlab or something, and I may still go ahead and try that.

Long version: It's a logarithmic axis, so although the notches list apertures, the axis is actually based on powers of 2. 2^0 is 1, so the zero point of the graph is f/1. Now the graph actually does go negative, through f/0.7 and all the way to f/0.5. Since that's an enormous waste of vertical space, I simply cropped it arbitrarily at slightly below f/1. Enough to accommodate the Voigtlanders, basically.

Ideally, I would like to set the horizontal baseline at f/0.7. Coaxing Excel to do that has proven to be exceedingly difficult without pulling weird tricks on the data that I don't want to do until the graph is finalized. To fix it, I'd multiply everything by 1.41, pushing the entire graph up a stop, and then make up new labels so that it all looks correct.

13. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    For the sake of those of us who are colour blind, please stay away from multiple red/green/orange/brown. Labels near the end of the specific lines - or start using dashed and dotted and dash/dotted lines to differentiate :)

Ta

14. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Very impressive, 1000 thanks!!!

15. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Dah...!

It's me, yes I know I'm thick....Dah.

How do I fill in the chart :confused:, in the UK we fill charts 'in' not 'out'. :smile:

I have 4 lenses 7-14, 25mm, 14-45 and 45-200 and am more than willing to help, what do I do.

16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Much appreciated, but I already have data for those lenses. What's still needed:
    Oly 9-18
    Oly 75-300
    Oly 12-50
    Pana 14-42 X
    Pana 45-175
    In that order of priorities for me, at least.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm still working on colors and labels. There are a lot of lines, and I'm very conscious of color-blindness issues but I'm also running out of colors. But these things haven't been finalized yet.

18. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    SLRGear has some information on some of these zooms.

9-18: Olympus Lens: Zooms - Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6 ED M.Zuiko Digital (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
    75-300: Olympus Lens: Zooms - Olympus 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 ED M.Zuiko Digital (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
    14-42 X: Panasonic Lens: Zooms - Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH POWER OIS LUMIX G X VARIO PZ (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Not the most detailed information until more people report in with their findings.

You can probably take out the primes and the constant aperture zooms. Since their maximum aperture is always going to be the same. I think that would free up some room on your chart.

19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Hey everyone, I've updated the chart with some new data. There's now data for the 9-18 (thanks BigTam!), the 12-50, and the new Pana constant zooms. We're still missing a couple of the telephotos (the Pana 45-175X, Oly 14-150) but things are getting awfully close to completion and awfully crowded in the standard range. The colors are still a problem, but I'll be fixing that up at some point here.

20. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    I added the mZuiko 75-300 data.