1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro four thirds adapter (to use four thirds lens)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Wolf, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Must be a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter for starters. OM Zuiko, m42, etc. will not work, including any of the fotodiox ones in your link. Additionally, the adapter must have the electronic contacts to communicate AF/aperture info. to the lens. The Panasonic DMW-MA1, Olympus MMF-2 or MMF-3 will work, as will non-brand ones which are 4/3 to m4/3 and explicitly mention autofocus (Viitrox for example has one).

DH

3. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Which actually got me thinking

I need a big telezoom.
    I currently have the EPL2 but with no viewfinder.

the oly with adapter and viewfinder will set me back 650 euro almost
    the panasonic 100-300mm costs about 550 euro... + viewfinder = 750 euro

and actually i should have a body with a better grip for a big telezoom (g2, gh2 ,...)

For less then 700 euro I can get a D3100 body + 55-300mm nikkor

Wouldn't this be a better option actually ?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all, the m.Zuiko 75-300mm is the Micro Four-Thirds lens which requires no adapter. The Zuiko 70-300mm is the Four-Thirds lens which requires an adapter. The OM Zuiko line had a 75-150mm and a 70-210mm. There is no non-micro Zuiko 75-300mm. Are you sure you have the right lens?

Let's assume that the lens you have is the Zuiko 70-300mm for Four-Thirds... The cheapest adapter that I know of which has full electronic communication is from Viltrox (available on eBay). The Olympus MMF-2 would be the next most affordable, then the Panasonic DMW-MA1 and the Olympus MMF-1. There are many other knock-offs, but most do not allow electronic communication for Autofocus and Aperture adjustment. I'm sure there are other exceptions, but Viltrox is the only one I've heard of.

PS, the biggest problem with using a Four-Thirds lens with a dumb adapter is the lack of electronic aperture control, not autofocus. Losing autofocus is not a big deal, but losing aperture control is. All Four-Thirds AF lenses (ie, not manual ones like the Samyang, etc.) that I know of use an electronic aperture, not a mechanical one. Even the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux which has a physical aperture ring, is still electronic.

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Actually, with a dumb adapter you also lose all (MF or AF) focus on 4/3 lenses, except on SWD lenses.

DH

6. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    hmmm the native olympus 75-300 micro 4/3 costs more then the nikon combo ! :rolleyes:

So I do think the nikon d3100 (or 5100) + telezoom is the best & cheapest combo for my situation ... ?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    D'oh, you're right! Forgot that most Four-Thirds lenses are also fly-by-wire focus...

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What's your situation?

I don't know anything about your situation except that you already own an E-PL2 and are factoring in the purchase of an EVF to your lens purchase. An E-PL2 with high-grade VF-2 viewfinder and a half-decent native lens is certainly a much better performing package than an entry-level DSLR with crappy viewfinder and cheap zoom lens... Plus it's a hellluva lot more compact. There's a reason it's more expensive.

I would get the Lumix 100-300mm over the m.Zuiko 75-300mm, though.

Why is it that you chose the E-PL2? Was it because of its size? Its price? Its style? Its reputation for sharp images? That will give us insight into just what your priorities are.

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You haven't really spelled out exactly what you're looking for.

If you want reach, the cheapest m4/3 option would be the Olympus 70-300 4/3 lens and an adapter. The Panasonic 100-300 is more expensive, but still a good bit less expensive than the Olympus micro 75-300.

The D5100 + 55-300VR are a good combo. They won't give you as much reach as any of the xx-300mm lenses on m4/3, but they'll definitely give you less noise and better autofocus tracking.

But again, it comes down to what you're planning to use the camera for.

DH

10. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Is the VF2 viewfinder better then the viewfinder found in the D3100 or D5100 ?

I chose the EPL 2 because I really like the grip and handling

But if i buy the official adapter and mount the 4/3 olympus lens on the epl2 i'll have autofocus ?
    anybody got experience with this 4/3 telezoom lens ?

11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Unless you get the 200-400 mm AF-S lens, no Nikon zoom with the Nikon d3100 nor the d5100 will AF at the same equivalent as the native Olympus lenses at 75-300 and if you only need 450mm equiv of the Nikon 55-300, then the Panasonic 45-200 is a better value.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In a word, yes. There are advantages to an optical viewfinder over an electronic viewfinder, just as there are advantages of an electronic viewfinder over optical. However, none of those OVF advantages apply to an entry-level DSLR which uses a cheap penta-mirror knock-off of the traditional crystal pentaprism viewfinder. Entry-level DSLRs have small, dim viewfinders with poor optical clarity.

The EVF on the other hand is as large and even brighter than a pro-grade DSLR. The pro-grade DSLR will give better overall clarity, no noise in low light, and zero lag for following movement. However, the EVF will give you live, real-time exposure view, color balance, and depth of field. The EVF can also be used on legacy lenses stopped down with a full exposure view. So both have their place, but to get a DSLR viewfinder that matches the "overall" performance of a high quality EVF (like the 1.44 million dot Olympus VF-2), you need to pay thousands of dollars for a good high-end body.

Yes, you will have Autofocus. Most Four-Thirds lenses are made for a PDAF system, but your E-PL2 uses a CDAF system. So the majority of Four-Thirds lenses are not made to handle the CDAF system as well. The Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 you mentioned on the other hand, -is- CDAF optimized and will focus just as fast on your E-PL2 as it did on Four-Thirds bodies (granted, it was known to hunt even on its original mount). This is a wonderful lens with reasonable sharpness, great reach, nice build, and 1:2 tele-macro capabilities with 3' working distance. Although the spec sheets may not show much difference, I much prefer this lens over the m.Zuiko 75-300mm f/4-6.3.

If you want something faster, the Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 is a fantastic super-tele zoom. Not being CDAF optimized it is slower to AF on an E-PL2 and is better used with manual focus. Its intense optical quality and resolution however, are unmatched in the Micro Four-Thirds realm. It's a fair sized lens, but on the small side of the Zuiko fast lenses and still nicely manageable on an E-PL2. Many had actually gone into Four-Thirds because of this lens. Zuiko has even better lenses in the Top-Pro category including the constant f/2 aperture zoom lenses (fastest in the world, or at least when they were made), but these lenses are very large and expensive. The Zuiko 50-200mm is part of the mid-level "High-Grade" lenses. The Zuiko 70-300mm is part of the "Standard Grade".

The Zuiko 70-300mm however, is a more natural pick for a Micro Four-Thirds camera as it acts and feels just like on its native mount. The only thing you're going to miss is C-AF (C-AF is locked out on all 4/3 lenses with m4/3 bodies), but S-AF capabilities are the same.

zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.
    Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD on an Olympus E-P1 with Olympus FL-36R

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    One advantage to the Nikon is that the OVF is stabilized when using VR lenses. The Olympus PL2 doesn't do that with Olympus lenses.

For the 5100, other advantages include, faster frames per second, articulated screen, 1080p video.

14. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Yeah it really seems like both systems have their advantages

I've also been thinking about getting a GH2 for telezoom lens (i don't think a big telezoom will balance well on a tiny camera body), but the price (200 more then d5100 with kit zoom) holds me off.

I know i'll have more range with the m 4/3 due to the crop factor.

so i'm looking into what will suit me best ...
    working out all kind of options

thanks for the help so far ;-)

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When you're using any decent telephoto lens, you hold it by the lens and not the body. Balance is moot. Our best telephoto lenses dwarf any DSLR body the same way they do Non-Reflex bodies. The handling is in the lens itself.

So stop worrying so much about it... :rolleyes:

PS. A strip of 3M SafetyWalk will make any Micro Four-Thirds body as easy to grip as a DSLR... https://www.mu-43.com/f43/non-slip-tape-camera-21301/index4.html

16. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I have the Olympus Zuiko 70-300, said to be a rebranded Sigma so it doesn't get the magic touch from the Olympus elves. It needs a firmware update to work best on a micro 4/3 body and I feel it's still a slow focusing lens on my EPL1. It focused much faster on my 4/3 DSLR. It's a nice lens though. I got mine a few years ago when they were selling new for around $229 US. Today, they're $399? Ugh.

In terms of adapters, here in the USA, the pricing goes Viltrox ($69 -ebay), Panasonic DMW-MA1 ($115) and Olympus MMF-2 ($169). The Viltrox is an unknown player. I'd pay the extra for a DMW-MA1 until Viltrox has an enthusiastic customer base, if it ever does.

You do need a VF2 to best use the 70-300, and there goes another $219. It's overpriced, easy to lose, but necessary. At current pricing, isn't the Panasonic 100-300 a better lens and comparable in price to a new 70-300 plus adapter?
    A D5100 with an OIS zoom will probably give better results than a new 70-300, adapter, and VF2, be comparable in price and give you a chance to double up on your gear expenditures. :)

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure I believe that "re-branded Sigma" story about the Zuiko 70-300mm. This is largely based on the blueprint of the lens elements, but if you've ever handled both Zuiko and Sigma lenses they are night and day in the way they're built (and in optical quality as well)! The similar layout of lens elements doesn't convince me of anything... The Sigma is a very small and disappointing lens compared with the Zuiko. I believed that story when I first heard it, but not after I tried the lenses in person.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    That's what i've been thinking too
    don't get me wrong, the 70-300 is (or 100-300 panasonic) is probably a great lens, but i do need the viewfinder as you said (which is 200 euro), and the adapter (150 euro) and the lens (300 euro)

the panasonic 100-300 is over 500 euro + adapter is around 700 euro too...

choices.. choices.... choices... :rolleyes:

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You don't need the adapter for the Panasonic. You only need it for 4/3 lenses. Micro 4/3 lenses like the Olympus micro 75-300 and Panasonic 100-300 do not need an adapter.

DH

20. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    ehm, i meant viewfinder

typed the wrong word ;-)