Micro Four Thirds 10 Year Anniversary

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Samsung only made it 5 years with their system, despite being the first APS-C mirrorless and having a lot of great products. They were only 6 months behind Olympus in getting into mirrorless. So it could have gone another way for sure. (Although if Samsung wasn't leading in phones, maybe they would have stuck with cameras)

Nikon 1 only about 4-5 years, too.

moonraker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Nigel
EP1>EM5(Still have)>GM1 (still have)> EM1.2, no longer have the EP1, but it was a thing of beauty IMHO

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Samsung only made it 5 years with their system, despite being the first APS-C mirrorless and having a lot of great products. They were only 6 months behind Olympus in getting into mirrorless. So it could have gone another way for sure. (Although if Samsung wasn't leading in phones, maybe they would have stuck with cameras)

Nikon 1 only about 4-5 years, too.
Might be because of Olympus and their excellent 4/3 glass, and also because of Panasonic. The other two were going it alone from scratch, though that didn't stop Fujifilm.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I still have my favorites : EP1 (retired), EM5 (retired), GM5 (broken alas), Pen-F (active duty). I also have the EM1 (weatherproof duty; never bonded with it) and the GX9 (to use with P20; too soon to tell). The rest has been sold or given away.
Have you had trouble with the P20 on the F?

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
For more than 15 years the OM-4 was my constant and - because of its multiple spot-metering - extremely reliable tool even in most difficult light conditions. I loved the OM-4 for its small size and the mechanic 1/60 sec available when the batteries were empty (although this did not happen too often). It took me long till I turned from film to digital. Especially comparing the quality of your own shootings on a slide show (150 cm landscape format) with your friend's pics on a Windows PC. I found the latter a poor alternative.
A friend of mine had worked with a Leica for quite some time. One day he showed me his series of portraits of musicians on the 27'' iMac. He had taken them in live shows with the new E-M5 and his Leica lenses on it (with adapter). When he told me what he could do with this body I was convinced.

Since July 2012 the E-M5 has been my constant and reliable tool with no single problem and a lot of photos taken with the old lenses in the first years, too. In the meantime these have been replaced by the 1,8/75 and the 2,8/60 macro. I still use the Kiron 2,8/105 macro in between because of the longer distance to the animals.

The body with the zoom in hand and in my left and right pocket of the out-door jacket the primes ... no rucksack needed, no heavy loads, very fast changes from one lense to the other. When I see those people with their bulky and heavy gear I can only smile and I've never ever regretted my choice. I rarely use the display ... the tiny wheel next to the viewfinder is set to my dioptries, no specs needed, bright even in the darkest night, and all the information needed visible clear and sharp. What more do I need? And if I ever change it'll be for the follower to the E-M1. ;-))

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
My Panasonic G1 is still with me , bought it in Japan with 14~45 n 45~200 kit lenses late 2008 , thought I cud change the menu to English but it was not to be .

Bought it because can use to adapt my old film camera lenses n since then have bought n still use GX7 , GX8 n E-M1 with GX1 has been given away to a relative .

I have converted the G1 to IR by means of removing the AA filter n install the 720nM IR filter recently , still playing around in post processing but my old eyes get tired quickly nowadays , quite a steep learning curve .

Last edited:

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
img_0535.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That took me back, though I wasn't an early adopter. A cheap deal on an EPL3 got me started, back when I was blogging most days. Happy New Year: seeing in the new year with new gear

inthecage

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M Ferencz
I bought a Pen EP1, I think that's what it was called. It was the original M43 Pen, the one wrapped in a stainless steel. Thinking back, it was almost unusable by todays standards. It was terribly slow, though it took nice pictures. When the EM5 came out, that's really when M43 started. That was a fully functional and competitive camera.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
My start: Got a G3 in 2012, my first non-film ILC.
Still got it, still use it.
The format does everything I want, so I'm very unlikely to jump ship.

Rob

inthecage

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M Ferencz
No, I agree. Olympus marketing seems to have a limited budget. I think they believe word of mouth and the name Olympus means a bit more than it actually does.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Might be because of Olympus and their excellent 4/3 glass, and also because of Panasonic. The other two were going it alone from scratch, though that didn't stop Fujifilm.

Samsung had made Pentax K-mount compatible DSLR for a few years prior to starting the NX mount. They decided not to offer a K-mount AF adapter with their NX system. That may have been a foolish decision. Samsung didn't offer a lot of their own K-mount lenses, but it certainly could have brought a lot of Pentax users into the system. I think a lot of people value backwards compatibility when picking a system, but then eventually buy mostly native lenses when they make the move.

x_holger

Mu-43 Regular
G1 -> GH2 ->__________________________GX8
____________E-M5.1 ->_________E-M5.2
____________________E-M1.1 ->_________E-M1.2

I use the E-M1.2 as my main camera and the GX8 occasionally

All the other cameras have gone in the meantime, either sold or given as presents to friends

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I was a bit late to the M43 fold. I remember when I first heard of the 4/3 system I thought it was stupid. I was shooting Canon APS-C and wanted full frame. I certainly didn't want smaller than APS-C. That seemed like a step backwards to me. But then there came a time when I found I wasn't taking many photos. The Canon stayed home. My favorite lens was my 70-200 2.8, but it was big and I didn't like carrying it around for casual photography. It pretty much only came out when I was shooting sports or doing the rare portrait. I convinced myself that I wanted a camera I could fit in my pocket and heard about M43. I bought an E-PM2. I sold my Canon gear after a year when I realized I hadn't taken any photos with it. But I never really bonded with the E-PM2. It was too big a change from my dslr. Too few controls. No viewfinder. Iffy AF on moving objects. Plus, I couldn't really fit it in my pocket anyway. So, I bought a G5 and that camera convinced me to stay M43. If not for the G5, I'd probably be using a Canon dslr again or not taking many photos.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Just came across this video
(don’t think it’s been posted here already?)

Crammed a lot into 10 mins. He kinda implied that less DoF is better then more but we’ve been there before and don’t need to rehash that one. Other than that I found it pretty informative.

Latest threads

Top Bottom