1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Micro Four Thirds 10 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by wjiang, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Hard to believe that m4/3 is a decade old!
    Four Thirds’Day

There's a Twitter promotion going on where you can win a G8/G80/G85:
    Micro Four Thirds Twitter Campaign

I joined the system half way through that time, starting as many did with the original E-M5.

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I was really impressed with Olympus' new product announcements to commemorate the anniversary.

.....Oh, wait......

3. Yeah it curiously ends at 2017... you'd think there would be some bang at 2018.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Killarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    interesting ... I got my G1 (the first m43 camera) in March 2009, which is soon after it was released in Europe.
    Here is shot #17 (the earlier ones were deleted, and just tests around the kitchen).

With my wife photo-bombing me while unboxing and playing with the camera on the kitchen table.

P1000017.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not that I don't love to see her, but after that I went outside ... where Finland was in early Spring

P1000018.JPG

Time indeed flies

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. 87C69F69-A193-466B-A6A2-884AFEE0B9B6.jpeg

I’ve never been one to adopt new gear immediately - but the micro 4/3 concept really did catch my eye from the start. I waited until the smaller, lighter and more affordable Olympus E-PL1 came out and without hesitation forked out the cash for it in the spring of 2010 to go along with my dslr setup - to take along on my first trip to Nicaragua. This pic is from Nicaragua on March 8’th, 2011 - on top of a volcano. (this camera is still functioning in the hand of a young 13 year old photo enthusiast that I gave it to a year ago)

I wasn’t worried about specs - I just pushed this little baby to the limit continually. One of the first projects I did with my E-PL1 and 14-42 kit lens, was this music video for my son’s new song. It was shot sometime in March/April 2010 handheld, in a couple rooms in his house - with just a modeling light from my studio flash and a round silver reflector. All clips were shot in an afternoon. 720p video was what the camera produced.

• Like Like x 8
  6. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Purchased my G1 in April 2009, soon after it arrived at a local store (I wanted to see it in person before deciding). This is shot #2, handheld at 1/8 sec., taken while I was having a coffee at an indoor mall (shot #1 was the same, but this one was slightly sharper and better framed). I could have boosted the ISO for a faster shutter speed, but I was still operating with the mindset (from my 6-year-old camera) that even ISO 400 would be terribly noisy.

It's also the first time I've ever been asked to leave a building by a security guard. He didn't want to see my picture, and didn't ask me to delete it, just asked me to leave.
    _1000002-Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow Wow x 3
  7. docfox

docfox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2011
    Hatfield, PA
    Let's not forget the camera that started it all: the Panasonic Lumix G1.
    facing left LoRes.jpg
    Read about the G1 here >>> An EVIL First.pdf

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Personally, having tested some of it's 12mp predecessors, I think the E-M5 was the camera that demonstrated to advanced and some professional photographers the true potential of the micro 4/3 format. I still think it has one of the best in body stabilization systems even when compared to some cameras currently available. I got mine after having quality control difficulties with some E-M10's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I was very interested in the m4/3 concept, but the early cameras just had some real issues with high ISO and AF compared to similarly priced SLR at the time. I would agree that the E-M5 was a real pivotal point in getting people to ditch their dSLR, but I would also give a whole lot of credit to the GX7. That was every bit as good as the E-M5, but had a RF style body and great video quality. That was the one that hooked me.

I also think that all the excellent small prime releases in the 2013-2016 years made the system one of the most attractive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

They didn't release their first m4/3 camera until Jun 2009, though.

11. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    The DCM-G1 was released in late (September/October) but before Christmas of 2008.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

That's not from Olympus. I wouldn't expect Olympus to mark the anniversary of the Panasonic G1.

13. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    In this statement The OP was talking about 4/3 not necessarily only Olympus and the posting title does not specifically state Olympus.

14. Thanks! I liked the write up! I will have to remember that my cameras are "EVIL"!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I quoted a particular post mentioning only Olympus for context to my comment. It helps to read the quoted parts to understand comments you are replying to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    It also helps to keep on topic and not set off on paths not originally intended by the OP and when you see someone doing so to bring the conversation back on track and topic.

• Sad Sad x 2
  17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I was a relative latecomer to M43. Previous to 2012, I used Canon DSLRs, culminating in the big and heavy 7D. My friend Curtis had a PEN E-P1 and P2, but I wasn't impressed because the AF was so slow and there was no viewfinder. It was certainly jewel-like compared to my Canon T2i, but even that was faster than the P1. Then he got the EM5 and when I saw that, I was hooked. It looked and acted like the DSLR I was used to, but so much smaller and lighter. Haven't looked back since. :) 

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had an E-volt 300 and the 50 macro when I got the EP1 back in 2009. Good thing, because the 14-42 version I was pretty bad, but with an adaptor and the 50 I could see how good the camera was.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I just want a G1 with the current sensor.

I loved my G1. And all of my E-P1s.

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I really enjoyed the 1s. G1, E-PL1, GH-1 and GF-1, but the E-M5 and E-P5 were game changers for me. They moved m4/3s from a secondary system to a primary system. For me, at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.