1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro Drone 3.0 w/HD Camera Indiegogo campaign

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ex machina, Jun 19, 2015.

1. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    So everyone should click on this link to order one of these awesome Micro Drone 3.0 personal HD camera drones that'll fit in the palm of your hand. Also, because I get kickbacks if you do. ;)

http://igg.me/at/micro-drone/x/1818017

The campaign site is a bit lacking in detail at the moment, and what it does have can be read as misleading -- details/clarification can be found in the comments if you dig through them as I have done, but here's what you need to know:
    • 720 HD (720x1280 at 30fps)
    • The micro-gimbal is an added cost item, will sell to contributors for $50 (their cost) and is expected to ship at the same time as the Drone (est. November 2015)
    • The bumper will be bundled with the drone, though it was originally an added cost item
    • As of this writing early pricing still available at $125+ $20 USD shipping worldwide
    • You have to add the shipping cost to your order for some dumb reason; however if you forget, like I did, they'll get it from you when ready to ship
    • 300ft range with included radio remote, @50ft via tethered wifi to smartphone
    • Max flight time @8min, 6min with camera streaming
    • Extra batteries will run in the neighborhood of $15
    • Smartphone = iOS and Android phones and tablets
    • Smartphone apps are described as "stretch goal" options, funded only if goals are met. I can see the editing app and social media brodcast features as not being released if their respective goals are not reached, but would be really surprised if the flight control app isn't already built
    • Sample raw video from their prototype camera
    I've always wanted a drone but have held off due to price/features/risk. This one is cheap enough for me to take that risk. Anyway, fwiw.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Cool, but these inexpensive drones are going to become a royal PITA one day.

3. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    At least these small drones will be more annoying than dangerous when misused. Company founder's video shows him snatching the drone out of mid-air and keeping his fingers!

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I can see boys in the neighborhood spying on teenage girls at their backyard pools with these things.
    I think a shotgun loaded with plastic pellets will take one out safely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Ha! While doing so they'll be given away by the sound of an angry beehive made by the drone's engines!

6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Right. That's when the girls call Dad, or take it out themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... they do make for excellent target practice ...... :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I am really skeptical of the real-time-video ability.

Also, why only 720p? It seems like a bit of a bad compromise.

Other than that, an interesting idea.

9. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Why the skepticism, aren't there already drones and cameraphones out there that do this? Sadly, this does require a wifi connection so the range of real-time video streaming is limited to 50ft.

The FPV streaming video is different from what's done above, they said that the onboard electronics digitally split the right/left signal from the camera's wide lens to achieve the stereo effect. The bandwidth would be the same, but whether the stereo effect is pronounced enough to make a difference remains to be seen.

Kind of makes me wonder if I could split existing UWA or fisheye shots to create my own stereo photo effects. Hmm.

I suspect the 720p camera selection is based on cost. Modules are swappable, though, and they claim future camera modules will be available offering fisheye and night vision models as well as 1080p HD, which would be cool if the product is a success and they can actually pull all of this off. ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015