Micro 4/3'rds Legacy Lens- 50mm Bout!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 29, 2011.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    In this corner.. the challenger.. the Olympus EP-2 in Black, with OM -> :43: adapter and VF2 EVF.. 50mm OM f1.8, extremely clean legacy glass:

[crowd cheers :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: end cheering]

Ladies and Gentleman.. in this corner.. the New Champion and Favorite!

The Panasonic G3 with Voightlander Nikon "F" adapter, and built in *enhanced* viewfinder.. with a *MINT* condition Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI-s legacy lens:

[​IMG]

[crowd cheers :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: end cheering]

This middle-weight bout should be a real knock out- with round by round photo's and analysis posted tomorrow.

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 5
  2. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Weather- overcast, cloudy.

Three shots by each camera/lens combo, with the sharpest of the three used here.

Post Processing- exposure adjusted to make things even and "auto white balance" for all shots in LR 3.5

Converted from RAW when uploaded to zenfolio- that's it.

Ok... "Lets get ready to ruummmmmmbbbbblleeee!!!"

Decided to put a real "budget lens" up against the "Nikon AI-s" lens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well.. what do the Judges (you) say?

I see it as the Nikon 50 and 28 ahead.. but the 50mm Olympus and Vivitar held thier own!

In a few days, I will pit the Oly 50mm 1.4 against the Voightlander 40 f2.

• Like Like x 4
  3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Your next move would be to test the EP2 with the Nikon 50/1.4 and the G3 with the Oly 50/1.8 to figure out if what you are seeing is due to the lens or the camera.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The focus points on the first OM 50mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lenses were different. :(

5. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I know.. you can tell by the text.. but I think you can tell (generally) which lens is better and has nicer color.

I'm surprised by how well the vivitar lens did! They were popular back in the day.

6. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I haven't made comparisons myself, but I found the OM 50mm F/1.8 (Japan, not even Made in Japan) quite sharp for me:

6146672512_acf4c9147d_b_d.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The G3 + Nikon combo looks better for sure! But like someone else said, not sure if it's the lens, the body, or both. My EP2 (while better than my old E620) still has pretty strong AA filter. The G3 supposedly has a fairly weak AA filter. I suppose the additional resolution is also helpful especially if downsized.

8. lenticularis

lenticularis Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Australia
    Nice test!

I have just bought a G3 and have legacy glass:
    P-K 50 mm f.17, Vivitar Series 1 70-200 f2.8 and a Tamron Adaptall SP 350mm f5.6 lens!

Until recently I had a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 but gave that away to a friend's daughter on an old Ricoh film body.

Looking forward to trying my 50mm P-K f1.7 on the G3, as the 14-42 kit lens is more unimpressive than tests warned. The 50 still sits on my first real SLR, an ME Super bought in 1981!

The G3 was bought as a portable and compact adjunct to my EOS system. I know which I currently prefer!

9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Gotta agree with Ned. The focus point is so different as to make it hard to compare the OM 50 to anything. All of the flowers are not in focus. Was the OOC processing identical for all pictures? How did you manage brightness? The latter two pictures are much brighter. Perhaps some more detail on your goals/procedures?

I'm all for a good, fair fight!

10. Nice idea, but the execution needs a bit more work. First rule of direct comparisons is to change only one variable at a time.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Not only are the focus points different, but the exposures are different, probably due to metering on the white card in one instance, and the flower in the other. :frown:

12. lenticularis

lenticularis Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Australia
    Nice test, take 2

I guess what I intended to say was, nice idea.

I didn't look too critically at the results and am somewhat embarrassed by the later posts of members who did!

13. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Maybe you missed it:

Post Processing- exposure adjusted to make things even and "auto white balance" for all shots in LR 3.5

Converted from RAW when uploaded to zenfolio- that's it.

14. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Stand by for a few minutes- gonna do another "indoor" test.

BRB

• Like Like x 1
  15. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    As for post processing- ONLY "auto white balance" in LR3.5

Here's the Panasonic G3 with Nikon 50mm AIs at f2.8

Here's the Oly EP3 with Oly OM 50mm at F2.8

[​IMG]

The "auto white balance" used because Oly is know to be warm, G3 colder.

The results are still evident.. the Nikon Glass is better- but not by a large margin.

• Like Like x 2
  16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I don't know if I'm looking at the difference between lenses, cameras, sensors, or the way Lightroom processes the file from each camera. Or perhaps the cumulative effects of all these things.

17. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    At least use the same camera body for each lens. It's obvious that the Panasonic rendering and the Olympus rendering is going to be different. Heck, at least swap lenses around and see how the Olympus look with the Nikon 50mm and how the Panny look with the Oly OM 50mm

• Like Like x 1
  18. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    There was no PP (other than auto white balance) and if you look at the doll's hair and the figurines shirt you can see the difference- very small difference in color and detail.

19. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    USPS dropped of 2 lens for me- the Olympus 50mm f1.4 and the *beautiful* Voightlander 40mm f2 SL (not SLII) AIS version. Shot the Voightlander with the G3 at f2.8 and the Oly 50mm 1.4 with the EP2 at 2.8.

Here's the Voightlander 40mm:

Now here's the Oly 50mm 1.4:

[​IMG]

My reaction was that the Voightlander takes beautiful pictures and is a "smooth operator" and gorgeous. The Oly 50mm 1.4 was no slouch, either- with classic good looks.

The Voightlander will stay on the G3 and the Oly EP2 will get the Nikon 28mm 2.8 for everyday use. Nighttime/indoors will be the Panny 20mm f1.7, and 50's used where mild telephoto is needed.

20. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    The underwhelming response here is hard to believe.

This will be the last time I waste my time and post comparisons.