1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Micro 4/3: What's in an Abbreviation?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sfmurph, Nov 28, 2013.

1. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    So over on The Online Photographer they're talking about the potential difficulties Micro Four Thirds companies have saddled themselves with due to the name of the system. Interesting thought, I think. But what about the variety of abbreviations used? Which do you think should be "the one" used? Or do you think having multiple ways is good?

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Could we have a category for "no opinion"? It actually doesn't matter to me. I suppose that consistency would be helpful, but I don't have a real preference for any of these. :hmmm:

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The discussion in the Blog is an interesting one but fundamentally flawed I think.

The core assumption is that the consumer might:

1. Know what 4/3 as a sensor means.

2. That somehow micro 4/3 is an inherently smaller sensor.

Culturally smaller is cooler in Japan in a general sense. Micro 4/3 is more of a compliment than a negative.

The real problem is that the NA market equates image quality to camera bulk. This works against m43 and will likely affect the Sony A7 IMO. I found it interesting that Henry's has stock of the A7 but still no availability of the E-M1. We'll see how this trend continues.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, around here it's referred to as "Jim's Folly"...

:biggrin:

As for what it's called elsewhere, them's as needs to know probably does and them's as don't, don't.

I think most folks looking to upgrade from a P&S or cell phone for that "better" camera (going on vacation, kid playing sports, etc.) think "Nikon" or "Canon" because it's been those two for fifty years, give or take.

An alert clerk might guide the consumer to a more logical choice - but alert clerks are hard to find.

No one ever got fired for buying IBM, and no one has ever gone wrong in "upgrading" to CaNikon. At least that's the word around the water cooler; we could run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it...

The local B&M around here (who hire people who really do know their stuff, whether they care to guide consumers is another topic) generally advertises Canon, with some Nikon thrown in - because Canon will underwrite the print ads (for Canon gear, Nikon has to pony up for their own ads which is why Canon Rules at the store under discussion).

I don't think the name matters a whit. ( http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/whit ) :wink:

If so, "Gi-normous" would sell a heckuva lotta hamburgers...

For the poll, if I must make a choice I'll choose "Other". Truth in advertising, as in "Hey, I thought you shot CaNikon?" "I used to, but this is my other camera, it's much better. Although not as good as my Gi-normous that I left back in the car trunk."

:drinks:

Regards,

Jim

5. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    It may be true that the name doesn't matter...and it may be true that the name may "hurt" the overall acceptance of the format because of the fact that people may think that it is even smaller than 4:3... I cannot say to any of those comments.

But it is absolutely true that not having a good abbreviation that we all agree to and that can be typed on a regular keyboard without the use of inserting symbols makes it a lot harder for those of us who buy our equipment used to use search engines.

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I've been using m43 from day one because it's the easiest for me to touch type.

For simplicity's sake, I guess a 'standard' abbreviation might make things a little more convenient, but I really don't think it matters.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been using MFT because it's the easiest one for me to type on both keyboard and phone screen. All good though.

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I read it as em-four-three, but I write it as m4/3 or M4/3 (mostly the former) to actually indicate that it's four thirds. I sometimes use MFT as well but I'm more inclined to m4/3.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    μ4/3 is cooler, but a bitch to type. In lieu of that I prefer m4/3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    In scientific notation it should be :43:, but I use MFT or m43 for easy typing.