Micro 4/3 vs a Full Frame Legend

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    This should get everyone's juices flowing. I did a comparison of my GH2 and GX1 to my 1Ds Mark II to see if a modern micro 4/3 camera could stand up to a slightly older full frame body. Hint - they're pretty darn close.

Micro 4/3 vs a Full Frame Legend ยป Admiring Light

• Like Like x 10
  2. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    BREAKING NEWS! New technology better than old technology? Tonight at 11

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Nooooo..... :horse: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Nicely done test, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I'm feeling better and better about selling the GH2 and keeping the GX1.

David

6. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I think this is an appropriate dead horse to beat and re-beat as many times as it takes for everyone to see it and get it. Thank you Jman. Before I looked at which was which I picked the GX-1...

The fact that an awesome $8k camera of the past can be matched by the $1k cameras of today is still interesting, especially when backed by the photos.

Dan

7. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Something is fishy here. If they're 100% crops, how come they are identical? Even the slight difference between 16 and 18 MP should be readily discernible in the crops, but it isn't. Considering that the test appears to be flawed, and that the 1Ds Mark II is 7-year old technology, I didn't read much after that...

8. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    Thanks Dan,

My own testing about a year ago showed me similar evidence. That was when I sold my 1DsII and all it's lenses. I like my new GX1 as well, but I plan on keeping it with the GH2 so I have two bodies.

9. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Um, the GH2 has an 18 Mp sensor, but 16 MP output...the extra resolution is for the ability to natively shoot at multiple aspect ratios. The GH2 was set to 3:2, which yields output within 1% of the 1Ds II. This was a well controlled test. And I explain in detail why it doesn't t matter that the 1Ds II is old.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    OK, my bad about the 18MP (I was never all that interested in the GH2). But old technology not being relevant? That's a stretch! Compare it to a modern full frame body, and we won't have to disagree, but until then, we will. Disagree, that is. 7 years is a LOOOONG time in sensor development terms... and even you agree that the 5D Mark II and D700 wil both outperform the 1Ds Mark II, and those two bodies are getting quite long in the tooth these days. So you really can't have it both ways...

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Tests like this can be fun. The M43 sensors are certainly very capable.

For some of my shooting, the one glaring weakness is in shadow detail. I hope the next generation is able to do better at lower ISOs.

12. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    What the heck are you disagreeing with:confused: Jason took the equipment he had, took some photos under nicely controlled conditions, and drew the conclusion that the current m4/3 gear is roughly comparable in IQ to the previous generation of FF gear. He never claimed that m4/3 is as good as current FF gear.

If you want to test it vs. a 5DmII, nobody's stopping you. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    My entire point is that for the VAST majority of photographers, that level of quality is more than they will ever need. The 1DsII was, and still is, used by a huge. Umber of professional photographers...it has been used for fine art landscape galleries by some of the best photographers in the world. That camera makes amazing 20x30 inch prints even at ISO 1600...how many photographers print larger than that, that wouldn't already be shooting medium format?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahhaa some people can't digest the idea of putting a FF camera to test against highly capable MFT system. Don't worry wait for few more years there will be a MFT to beat current 5DMarkII as well ..Lol
    :rofl:

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for this wonderful compassion
    I have been able to print 20 inch into 30 inches prints from my EPL2 at 1600 ISO , I don't think MFT is less capable system . Many people underestimate MFT and we can't help them .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

16. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    I thought it was obvious what I disagreed with. If that upsets you, I apologise. The fact that he posted about it here, in a discussion forum, means we should be able to discuss it, correct?

17. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Rudi does hit on a valid point, of course...and it's actually going to be the next big article on my blog...when is a camera good enough? (obviously it will depend greatly on the photographer), but I'll discuss all of that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually this test does shed some light on just how good these cameras have become. M43 really at this point is just being limited by the available lenses and AF. In good light, even my E-PM1 is every bit as good as my D700 with with proper lenses. If I didn't shoot for a living I'd probably get rid of my DSLR kit completely.

But saying that the 1DSm2 is pretty old. :wink:

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

um.... 7 years is an eternity in technology. Now I am not saying that MFT isnt a capable system, I would not own one if it were not, but this mutual back stroking is... well... embarassing.

20. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    You've said it more eloquently that I did, and just like yourself I am a :43: owner and frequent user.

Jordan poses a good question: When is a camera good enough? I'm not sure, I just reviewed some Leica S2 and Pentax 645D studio files, and the detail in those is simply gobsmacking! I'd be lying if I didn't admit to at least a bit of MF envy... :smile: