1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Micro 4/3 Rumors Roundup

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 16, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From Photo Rumors:

From 43 Rumors:
    From our featured comment below:
    There is also a rumor that the Panasonic 7-14mm lens will be replaced based on this item being listed as discontinued at B&H. This doesn't seem very likely to me, but stranger things have happened.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Nice! It's great to have more options. I hope the 25/0.95 is not too big and chunky. And hopefully not too expensive either!

Same thing with the 12-35. Wouldn't it be something if Pany keeps it no bigger than a 14-45 (if it's possible within the laws of physics)?

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    The 12-35 range seems well (too well?) covered by primes to excite me. The 35-100, however, is very interesting indeed. Too bad ther's no rumors about it...

4. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    12-35mm is a a classic configuration.... perfect for people and walkabouts. 2.8 is very nice as well... Its awesome that the Mu43 has many "eggs as well as chickens". Quality eggs is the key to its success.

The 25mm .95 is nice... but they need to make an AF version.... I bet they will sell quickly.

7-14mm Discontinued? I hope so.... maybe its used value will go up. I love my 7-14mm. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    24-70 is a relatively new configuration. 28-whatever lenses is the classic configuration.

Nikon didn't have 24-70 2.8 lenses until a few years ago and still don't for the DX mount.

The new 7-14 is supposed to have IS, so you're lens will probably drop value a bit if the new 7-14 is about the same price.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I was all set to buy the 35-100, assuming it's being released soon. Now that I have the 14-54 II, I'm not so sure...

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Am I the only one curious about the G5? Just wondering if it is worth the upgrade from my G2. I did not like the shape of the G3, and the G5 looks to have better ergonomics.

8. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Ok... now your just nit picking. :)

24 or 28... at these lengths 4mm is nothing.

7-14mm OIS, doesn't matter on Olympus body

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Saw and held the new oly 75 1.8. Beautiful lense, definitely reminiscent of old range finder glass. Same push/pull option the 12mm has, all metal build. Retail is $1000. Before anyone asks, I wasn't allowed to shoot with it, as it was a training copy for Olympus dealers.

• Like Like x 4
  10. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    That's more than I was hoping for... Really really tempting though

11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    $1,000 puts it out of my range :frown:

12. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    I was trying to point out that the new Panasonic is even more useful than the classic pro zoom range.

My guess is that the new super wide will be a 6-12 2.8-4, with built in IS and power zoom.

That way, you'll have a 6-300 focal length covered with no gaps or overlap.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me, the most interesting rumor is that the G5 will have the G3 sensor, because if the E-M5 has a different sensor than the G3 (remains to be firmly proven) and the G5 has the same sensor as the G3 (remains to be seen), then it seems likely that the E-M5 sensor is not made by Panasonic.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very interesting rumors!

I very much welcome the f.95 25mm as it is a more fitting focal length than 50mm, at least on m4/3. I hope it is better looking than the 12mm, that thing looks like a cctv lens and a wide angle attachment hacked together.

I was looking forward to the 75mm, glad to hear it will be out soon. The price is about what I figured and it doesn't remove it from my list but does mean I would have to save up for it. I will wait until the test reviews come out before making any decision though.

I am very interested in the new zooms from Panasonic for both still and video use. We will have to see what the specs turn out to be and how good they are. I do hope they don't overprice them though!

15. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    $1000... ouch. I think at that price it will put it out of range of many prospective buyers (me included). :sad010:

16. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Sounds like the 25 is for MFT and the 35 for APS-C sensors, so their intent is to provide a fast normal lens for all platforms. I am curious how they plan to differentiate the 25mm from the Voigtlander option especially if their price will be $1000.

The 35mm would be more interesting as it would provide a short fast tele for portraiture. 40mm would be even more interesting, but... Hopefully, the 35mm can be adapted on MFT.

17. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Looks like its a Cine lens. So the focus gearing and T stops will be enough of a difference for some.

18. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, at these lengths, 4mm is pretty big. There is a substantial difference between these focal lengths (in this case 12mm vs 14mm).

At 14mm, the horizontal AOV is 63 degrees.
    At 12mm, the horizontal AOV is 71 degrees.

That's a pretty big difference in practical use (even more than it seems number wise). It's at the LONG end where small changes in focal length are virtually imperceptible.

19. Sam0912

Sam0912 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    I'm still waiting for the next gen of Panasonic cameras before upgrading my gf1. I'll probably get an SLR type body next, very very tempted by OMD1 from results I've seen and the whole package. Will be very interested to see the G5 tested against it to see any differences in the sensor/s (I shoot almost exclusively RAW). It may come down to a choice between a GX1 and G5, or just the OMD with a grip. Leaning towards the latter so far....

20. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    I agree there is a big diff between 12mm and 14mm.... but 24mm and 28mm, not so much. Which was the original discussion.