Micro 4/3 - OM-D EM-1......New to this Format

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by EMC, Nov 27, 2013.

1. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    Hello All Pro and Enthusiasts,
    Short time lurker, Second time poster. I consider myself an enthusiast with digital.........I started in the late 70's with a pair of OM-2n's.....doing Rock/Music photography, working with local radio station in Los Angeles and touring with guitarist Allan Holdsworth. Being in the Southern California music culture found myself shooting many a concert with the OM-2n's.......their ability to see in low light at that time period and the size, made these cameras a simple pleasure IMHO. Touring in Cleveland cost me my camera bag, stolen from my hotel room, with bodies and glass about 5K.........never recovered from this sad situation in 1985. 1997 bought Canon ELF Advantix to take some pictures at a reunion.....JOKE! 2000 went to Japan purchased a Fujifilm 3.3mp, which at the time was considered cool, designed by F.A. Porsche............

Seeing the world revolve around cell phone snapshots and phone companies trying to sell phone with their "Improved Camera" makes me want to.......well go looking for new camera with exchangeable lenses. Googled Olympus to try to find something in the same vein as the old trusty OM-2n's........found OM-D EM-5..........read some on it, then saw new release EM-1 / 12-40mm........expensive little parts, but well worth it. Reading around with all the full frame vs. micro 4/3 stories are quite interesting. Have not tried a full frame? Nor does it matter to me on how much better this is or that is................after a few days with the EM-1, well...all I can say is that it fits like a glove, the on / off switch still remains the same as the OM-2n...........performance and speed with AF, just incredible.....a couple too many whistles buzzers and bells, but........after you learn what you need out of this system it seems to been quite rewarding. Great
    images!!! Picked up several different prime lenses.....though expensive, in this day and age what isn't that is quality, All and all.....this is a really a highend Prosumer camera and I am really quite happy with it........cameras come in ALL shapes and sizes..........what fills your wants and needs? Oh, and what's BEST......well keep looking, it's out there!!! Whats BEST for you........

This community is a wealth of knowledge and phenomenal images from all over the globe.......really nice!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers!

Eddie

P.S. Don't miss paying for film and processing!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome aboard, Eddie! If you still do concert photography, you will love your E-M1! I love using my OM-D (previously the E-M5 and now the E-M1) at concerts! Here's a musical performance thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=39802

Look forward to seeing your images!

3. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    Hello Patrick,
    Thanks for the reply and sharing that thread.......nice live shots! I really think that the OM-D work well in this setting...............hope to get some live shots up in the near future!

Cheers!

Eddie

P.S. Thanks for the Welcome!!!!!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! You got the pick of the litter in :43: cameras, enjoy!

5. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    Thanks RevBob!!!

6. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    welcome! you will enjoy your stay here and much enjoy your new camera! it will all be fun again

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Eddie!

Regards,

Jim

8. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Welcome Eddie. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site.
    EM1 is a great choice.

Matt