Micro 4/3, Now I'm a believer!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tonyjuliano, May 21, 2012.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

A little while ago, I made this post trying to explain my rationale for choosing the E-M5 as my primary travel camera.

I was a huge skeptic of the Micro 4/3 format, as my previous experience with the Olympus EP2 did not impress.

Well, I'm back, and in it for the long haul. After spending more time with the new E-m5, it has made me change my whole outlook.

Heres an excerpt from my follow up post on my blog...

And here is a link to the full follow up on my blog.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    nice take on the OMD. one of the main reason why i shifted from DSLR to m4/3 - SIZE
    and the IQ and that IBIS of the OMD really made me more than a believer :)
  3. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Some people should be told that ergonomically, this camera is a lot like an old SLR. Olympus designed this camera to emulate the look and feel of an old SLR, cameras which were not the easiest to use for extended periods. Now, no one is going to pretend that the ergonomics of a small, squarish camera will match those of a comfortable rounded SLR, because it can't. Unless you have small hands, you'll notice that actuation of buttons is not as easy as with a larger DSLR. In addition, old SLRs were generally not that great to work with and the sharp edges (edges of LCD) of the E-M5 are not the most enjoyable to have to hold, not to mention the strap eyelet positioning. Using a larger lens, there is no contest; the larger DSLR feels much better. Part of it is because you can leverage back the entire weight of the system just by using the DSLR's hand-grip. It takes some of the weight off a front-heavy large lens. That's just an example. Personally, I asked for this camera like a lot of other people and I'll get used to the feel (I carried an OM-1n for years and still use some film bodies) and carrying a normal weight DSLR like a Nikon D300 already feels like a chore, comparatively.