1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro 4/3 no good for Landscape and Long Exposure Photography?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Patrick Zurfluh, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Patrick Zurfluh

Patrick Zurfluh New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    Hi there. I am a happy Olympus OM-D E-M5II owner and just was in contact with a nice lady from breakthrough.photography. She explained to me that their filters are made for quality photographers and therefore are no good for my setup. She said that the m43 system is useless (her words) for landscape and/or long exposure photography because of the missing ISO100 and for other reasons. The dynamic range and sharpness are not good enough for that kind of photography she said. So here's my question: do you agree? Is she right or wrong?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. neilvan

neilvan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2010
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Neil
    Disagree completely.

My m4/3's cameras work just fine capturing images of anything. I've had photos published my point and shoot cameras with TINY sensors, let alone the 4/3 sensor.

Just ignore people like that and enjoy photography.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Is this a serious question? Buy your filters elsewhere, gear snobbery is just bleurgh.

It's the usual issue - what's your output? Printing A3 or smaller, or displaying on a screen -m43 is fine. And dynamic range is easily expandable with bracketing, even if a dslr can (in some cases) offer better range from a 14 bit file.

If you are shooting for posters, shooting landscapes for a living, or swimming in cash, you can get much better set-ups for landscapes than most m43 cameras, but it's very capable in most normal situations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    If compare with Nikon or Sony Full Frame camera:
    • Dynamic range? Correct.
    • Sharpness? Not really.
    • Noise? Yes even at the lowest ISO (either 100 or 200).
    But does it gives us bad result? Nope.
    Does Nikon or Sony Full Frame have live composite's features? Nope.

Here some examples.

16445094284_fb405ffd48_b.

11742694936_a4abcb1177_b.

14591199027_08c7a28a7c_b.

• Like Like x 16
  7. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Woah wait some of those weren't taken at ISO 100 so they can't be good photos.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 5
  8. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff
    What a load of crap. They obviously have too much demand for their product, as it seems they're happy to push potential customers away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Almost two years later and they're still so salty about the beatdown they received here that the mere mention of m43 triggers weird emotional outbursts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Patrick Zurfluh

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    Thanks guys... All this is very helpful.

@rezatravilla@rezatravilla which filters did you use for those pictures? (type and brand please)

11. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    You did not tell us why you were contacting that particular filter company and exactly what equipment you are using. Unless you are a Nikon or Canon shooter waving around one of those long lenses that costs as much as a second hand car, some such companies treat you as if you were riding a MoPed while asking about racing fuel. They just do not see how their product can be effective on your camera.

I looked up the filters that they sell and I can see why you probably got that answer. For the prices they are asking they might only get professional photographers contacting them as their prices are quite high, their product is relatively new and you probably do not have a business expense you can write them off against. People usually do not put a filter on their lens that costs nearly as much as the lens so she might be used to people ordering their products for more costly lenses. Then again she might just be having one of those cranky days where things are not going right, she got up on the wrong side of bed, found out her husband is sleeping with another woman or she realizes she is not paid enough and the company is under capitalized and cannot pay her more so she is doing everything in her power to get people to stop calling and go away.

Actually, not knowing what type of filter you were asking about but I suspect by the answer she gave that you were inquiring about a neutral density filter in which case I understand her answer. Their ND filters are quite weak compared to others, which is probably why they can claim the "most color neutral" filters and way over priced for what they are so they would only be effective if using a really low ISO such as 100 and or if used indoors. Check out the Hoya Pro filters which are used both indoors and out by professional photographers such as Damien Lovegrove. Their 4, 8, 16, 32 50 64 and 100 ND filters are better suited for the range of ISO we have in the 4/3 world. Again not knowing what you want to do but seeing that you live in California I would start with a 8ND and then go one way or the other depending on your intended usage and that company does not list a 8ND filter.

12. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Weird that they'd be educated enough to know that no Micro 4/3 camera has native ISO100, and still say something that silly. I really don't know how to process the word "useless" in this instance. I mean, I've seen stunning landscape photography shot on iPhone, looked "useful" to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. thegimprider

thegimprider Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2016
    Douglas Coulter
    Digital photography really has few limits anymore. A good RAW image can be adjusted with software to match an Ansel Adams 4/5 negative. Yes this makes traditionalists angry. I shared a class with one photographer who made a 4 story tall poster for the opening of Jurassic Park movie from a 3mp image. MFT just happens to have the best selection of lenses so I have chosen it. I will buy a Hasselblad 503 when I find one cheap enough to indulge my traditions and burn up a little Velvia in the process on some landscapes. PC291681.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  14. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I originally thought this was going to be a troll post, but reading the previous behaviour from breakthrough.photography, I now believe that this post is genuine.

Maybe breakthrough.photography are upset about the bad press they got here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Patrick Zurfluh

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    As mentioned I am a happy Olympus OM-D E-M5II user. As for the lense: I use the M.ZUIKO 12-40mm PRO for now but I am considering adding a wider lens to my camera bag aswell (I am looking at the M.ZUIKO 7-14mm PRO). Also, I am looking for ND filters and maybe a Polarizer for my landscape photography (although I more and more think a Polarizer is not really helpful these days anymore... but that's a different topic).

I bought two filters from Breakthrough a few days ago: the X4 Polarizer and the 6-stop ND filter. Today I reached out to them because I want to return the Polarizer and trade in the 6-stop ND filter for a 10-stop filter, since the 6-stop is not "strong enough" for my photography needs. The first person I spoke to was very nice and helpful. She recommended considering to keep the 6-stop ND add a 3-stop ND for more flexibility and because you could stack them for a 9-stop. We had a nice chat about the options and then she transferred me to the other person who said what I wrote in my first post (and more).

I want to point out that this post is not about bashing the Breakthrough company rather than me wondering if I had missed or not realized something about my gear. I am a (beginner) landscape photographer and that's pretty much all I am interested in for now. After all your comments I am (again) confident that I am with the right system (MFT) and the right camera producer (Olympus).

@CWRailman@CWRailman what makes you say that their ND filters are "quite weak compared to others"? And thank you for all your inputs.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I did not see a 6 stop filter listed on their WEB site and going by what they do have listed, which might work for you but I believe is not strong enough for the amount of Sun we have here in Arizona I stated that their sun reducing capability is weak. I did not see Products | Breakthrough Photography that they have anything stronger and they might not which is why she suggested stacking filters or maybe I did not go deep enough into their catalog.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  17. Patrick Zurfluh

Jun 14, 2016
    Belmont CA
    Patrick Zurfluh
    Oh okay. I thought you meant weak in terms of quality. My bad. They do have 3, 6 and 10-stop filters though and they also told me they are about to release a 15-stop.

18. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Check out this guy's work: The Lightweight Photographer
    He does most of his work with an EM-5, even though he also has a Sony A7rII. He used the Lee filters, I think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Everyone with Nikon D810 and Canon 5DSR threw them in the trash when the Phase One 100MP came out recently. Those are completely worthless now that there is something technically superior.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I have B+W and they have a color cast. Anyone know of other options besides Breakthrough that does not have a color cast? Or do all require custom white balance?