Micro 4/3 Native UWA Prime

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Jul 17, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I was configuring my bag the other day... I tried to stuff the GH3, 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 into my Think Tank Retro 5 bag. They fit snugly.

On the average, I use 7-14 for about 10-15% of my total shots, the 12-35 gets the most use, followed by the 35-100. And I use the 7-14 mainly as 7mm or sometimes to the other end at 14mm.

Relatively speaking within the Micro 4/3s system, the 7-14 has its own share of weight and bulk. (I know how a 14-24 or a 17-35 weighs in Nikon :biggrin:, I'm just spoiled with Micro 4/3s I guess?).

How I wish there is a native rectilinear ultra wide angle prime.

I was thinking even a 10mm 2.8 would suffice, but a wider one will always be a welcome. Do you want one? What do you think?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree, but I can't see either of the two big players (Oly & Panasonic) producing a UWA rectilinear prime. Given the market penetration of u43, I think we're lucky to have the delights of the 7-14.
  3. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I think this has been discussed before, but I'm too lazy to find the thread. One of the attractions of the Fuji X-system for me (not that I'll be moving from mFT) is that it has two lenses that I would really love and that have no direct equivalents in mFT: the 14mm f2.8 (equal to about at 10 or 11mm in mFT) and the 18-55 f/2.8-f/4. Fuji really thought through its lens selection.

Rumors are that we have some hope getting something like the 18-55 when Olympus releases a new OMD in the Fall, but I've heard no rumors of a new wide prime. I'd really like an ultra wide prime for my travel kit (12mm being not wide enough). Right now, I'm planning to take the 7-14mm. It's a great lens, but relatively big and heavy (my other lenses will be the P20 and O45).
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'd love an 8-10mm f/2.8 rectilinear prime, but I would guess that such a lens would be priced similarly to the O75 so it's not something that I would probably purchase any time soon.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos
  5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Good estimate: the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 and O75 have exactly the same list price.
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Until we get one, I'm making due with a WCON stuck onto my 14mm lens that turns it into an 11mm. Unfortunately, it turns it into a pretty soft 11mm lens.
  7. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

When I switched from Nikon DX, I was seriously considering the Pentax
    aps-c system because they had the 15mm prime. I was hooked on the Nikon 12-24, and they didn't offer a prime that could replace it for me. This lack of an UWA prime, on top of the fact that the D600 had just removed the size/weight advantage of DX over FX, was enough to make me look at other systems.
    The Oly 12mm isn't wide enough IMO to replace the 9-18. For me, it would take a 10mm. It wouldn't even have to be fast. I'd settle for 2.8, or even 3.5, maybe even 4 if the price and size came in right.
    I could live with 2 primes; 10mm and 25mm...
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If it can take filters and less volume in a bag, then absolutely.
  9. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I've been pining for one as well. I never did get my hands on a Minolta Rokkor 20/2.8 or 21mm/2.8 and would welcome options for a native 10mm (20mm) or 10.5mm (21mm) focal length by any company.

In the meantime, I enjoy using the Oly 9-18 on my Panny G3. They balance well together, look good together, and play well together.

IMO, there is or will be an overkill of prime lenses in the focal lengths between 35mm and 120mm for the m4/3 format.
  10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    The Oly 9-18mm is a good compromise and quite compact although a little slower on the aperture side than ideal.

The only other choice for MFT is the 12mm Olympus but after 7mm or even 9mm it is a bit on the "long" side.
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I use my 7-14 as a prime 7. Magnificent lens. I have no complaints with mine and how I use it. It gives me amazing images. I've never felt the need nor desire to put any filters on it, nor have I experienced any of purple blobs that some others have complained so vociferously about. I shoot E-M5, E-PL5, and EP-5 at present - may likely add a GX7, if it meets expectations. Have also used the lens on GF1, G3, G5, GH2, and GH3.

I use my 9-18 more as a zoom lens, covering the range. Great lens also.

If a 7mm f/2.8 or 3.5 rectilinear prime were available, with IQ comparable to the 7-14, that might just bump me off of the 7-14. I have no interest in fisheyes and defishing. Until such a rectilinear UWA is available, the 7-14 and the 9-18 cover my wide-imaging needs quite nicely! Happy camper here.
  12. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    there is the nice small Samyang (and others) 7.5mm Fish-Eye, that can be defished in post-processing ...

C U
  13. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    can we please get a 8/3.5 or something like that, please Mr Olympus!
  14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    The more I look at it, I think a 10mm 2.8 would suffice, or a 7mm 4. :biggrin:
  15. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
  16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Yes the 9-18 is nice and compact as well as rectilinear. But could be wider. For those occasions, stitching 2 or more pictures is a workaround. For static subjects only. But it's quite easy to do.
  17. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I was using old fashioned Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm 2,8 during my film days on Canon 50e and It was sweet piece of glass. Handling wise very similar to Samyang Fish Eye. So far combo Samy7.5 + P14 can substitute it well, however I am still dreaming about native 10mm prime.
  18. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    7.5mm fisheye

That's my strategy: Make the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye my only lens wider than my Panasonic 20/1.7. I have no desire to relapse into the Lens Buying Addiction that plagued my film days. After I buy a 45, 50, or 60 to plug the hole between my 20 and my 100, I'm through. Paul

19. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

You might want to check the details on this first. I wanted to go down this route and after some research it wasn't going to work.

The problem is when you de-fish you end up throwing away a lot of the sides of the images as they end up missing parts due to the bow-in of the image. The resulting image you get is low resolution and is significantly less-angle of view.

I can't remember the exact angle of view now, it was over a year ago, but I had concluded it was no better than just getting one of the existing lenses out there which were much wider.

There's a slew of online image samples you can search for to do this calculation, I believe there was even some one who defished the images and gave comparisons for you.
  20. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd definitely love a 7mm or 8mm prime for this system. I have the 7.5mm fisheye and the previous poster is correct - de-fishing is not an adequate solution. Great lens, though, for it's purpose.

For my full-frame rig I have the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 which is awesome - great, sharp images and cheap at only around $300.