Micro 4/3 mount = Oly Pen F mount, 4/3 mount = OM mount

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Euterpeundersail, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Euterpeundersail

Euterpeundersail New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2011
    Is it just me or does anyone else see that the micro 4/3 mount is almost identical to the Olympus Pen F mount and the 4/3 mount is almost identical to the Olympus OM mount. There are obviously some slight differences but I think the origins of these lens mounting systems are clear.

The fact that Olympus was in on the development of the 4/3 and micro 4/3 systems from the get go suggests that the similarities were not in fact coincidental.

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Roots for roots, why is it Oly's 3/4 physical format is not the original Pen's and Robot's (18 x 24 mm) format, but Kodak' Instamatic 110 (13 x 17 mm)?

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I seem to remind that Kodak was part of the early 4:3 alliance, as far as to manufacture the Olympus e-1 CCD.

Therefore, it would be quite unsurprising their R&D based their developpement work on formats they had optics built for long before.

Cheers,

4. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    To OP: And this should come as a surprise or what? I fail to see the relevance of this thread.

At least put some pics with the mounts ;) 

5. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I think it's just how you see your lenses. Many mounts, such as Pentax K, Konica, 4/3, M4/3, and OM, all use three prongs on a bayonet. But the diameters, prong dimensions, etc, all differ. Then consider the Canon FD, which is a breech lock where the prongs are on the camera body. A real wierdo is the Miranda, which has four prongs, is also a breech lock, and has a screw thread in the middle that would seem to take Pentax M42, but doesn't, so it fits almost nothing.

I gots these lenses, but you don't wanna see pics.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    But are they?
    Post pictures showing not only their similarity, but their dissimilarity to other mounts of the same general size...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.