Micro 4/3 Macro using tube extender?

zerotiu

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi! Currently I use canon dslr with 17-40,50, 85.
When I want to shoot macro usually I use tube extender
6206662992_2583ddbed2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="281" alt="Tube extender ring 1-2-3"></a>
6206145281_91aec2d928.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="281" alt="550d+tube ext+ 17-40"></a>

So I have a plan to buy an e-p3.
My question :
- If I use EF to m4/3 adapter + tube extender + DSLR lens on a micro 4/3 + I use VF2/VF3 (any electronic viewfinder) , can I see the object through the viewfinder ? Or maybe through the LCD?
Because if I use DSLR, I can only see through the viewfinder.

- If that setup above possible, is there any tube extender for m4/3? The macro lens for m4/3 is expensive :redface:

Thx,
Matthew

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So I have a plan to buy an e-p3.
My question :
- If I use EF to m4/3 adapter + tube extender + DSLR lens on a micro 4/3 + I use VF2/VF3 (any electronic viewfinder) , can I see the object through the viewfinder ? Or maybe through the LCD?
Because if I use DSLR, I can only see through the viewfinder.

Yes. Mirrorless cameras are full-time live view, so you get to see through the lens at all times exactly what the sensor sees. I assume you already know that without electronics contacts you won't be able to adjust your EF lens aperture, so you'll have to do that on your EoS cameras, lock it in place, then use the lens with tubes.

- If that setup above possible, is there any tube extender for m4/3? The macro lens for m4/3 is expensive :redface:

There are tube extenders specifically for m43 lenses (eBay), but in addition to that you can use your existing Canon tubes if you just get an EF-m43 adapter (also eBay).

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You could just get a legacy macro and adapter and extension tubes as well, if needed. Using an EF Lens is going to be costly(adapter that allows autofocus is $400 or more) and manual adapters don't allow aperture control I believe. So you would have to mount on canon body to adjust aperture then mount on m43 body, doesn't seem worth it to me. You could buy legacy and adapter and save cash and time. Haven't been thru this, but have read that EF glass on m43 isn't very practical or cheap.

zerotiu

Mu-43 Veteran
oh nice, so this setup (EF to m4/3 adapter + tube ext + EF lens ) also work in micro 4/3 cameras :)

and last question :
- can EF macro lens be used on micro 4/3?, 50mm macro / 100 mm macro.
I think it can't be used because you can switch to macro if there's no electric connection on EF to m4/3 adapter.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
oh nice, so this setup (EF to m4/3 adapter + tube ext + EF lens ) also work in micro 4/3 cameras :)

and last question :
- can EF macro lens be used on micro 4/3?, 50mm macro / 100 mm macro.
I think it can't be used because you can switch to macro if there's no electric connection on EF to m4/3 adapter.

No, there are no electronic contacts you can use with the EF lenses. There are some very expensive EF adapters out there for m43 (~$700) that allow you to switch apertures, but I don't know if they also allow you to switch between different lens modes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom