Micro 4/3 Lineup Settled!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 19, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well thats my Micro 4/3 setup settled for now,
    Olympus EM5, 9-18mm, 14mm, 25mm, 45mm and another 100-300mm which I picked up tonight.

Happy with the all round lineup although I would maybe like a 20mm if they sort out some of the issues that it seems to be causing, duplication with the 25mm perhaps but very handy for when I just want a small high quality package of EM5 and pancake lens!

I'm going to reserve judgement on my wide angle until I've used the 9-18mm a little more, very tempted by the 7-14mm and also the 12mm but I really would need to have one of the 3 and while I will leave the 9-18mm up for sale I will use it to see what I think.

Overally very happy now with my lineup, sold the GF2 as I just wasn't going to use it as the EM5 is small itself, might add a cheap 12-50 kit lens if it comes up for the Weather Sealing but apart from that I'm hoping for drier weather so I can get out and shoot!!!!

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I have exactly the same line of thought as you except telephotos are the least used focal length for me so I might settle for the 40-150mm.

3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've never been a big telephoto user myself its always been something I've had in my bag but not used, so usually a cheapy Tamron 70-300 when I had Sony/Pentax.

The 100-300 isn't cheap but with the current cashback its a good price (£340-£350) and I'd like to try my hand at some aircraft photography at Edinburgh Airport and also some motorsport with the BTCC this summer so all good!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm hesitant to say something like "it's settled" being a gear junkie but I have come to a similar kind of place. I sold off pretty much all my m43 gear and have gotten down to a GX1, P14, PL25 and O45 (although the O45 just barely made the cut).

• Like Like x 2
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Nice kit!

• Like Like x 1
  6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Well, finances have put my gear acquisition to a halt. Fortunately I've got the range that I can live with for a long time (I think). 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and the kit 12-50mm. My wife's E-PM1 has the 40-150 kit so I can always borrow that :)

7. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I've talked myself out of buying a 12mm, it just doesn't seem that it would be an awful lot better to me than the 14mm I already have... still hovering over the buy button on the 7-14mm though, just feels to me that it would "complete" my kit although the 9-18mm would have to go.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hey! Looks like my kit. Only difference is I'm using legacy 50s instead of the 45, since it's a rarer FL for me (though I've got the FE, which is also used little, but there are no $50 fisheyes).

Nice selection ;)

9. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Same here - it's unsettling to hear myself say that all is well, that might bring on a fit of GAS :eek:
    Actually I'm there with the Pentax gear, but still shuffling the :43: gear seeking the right fit. Nice to know it can be done, though! :cool:

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I try never to tempt fate. :wink:

11. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have to say its not a hugely used FL for me, I've been finding that I've used the 25mm a lot used to use a Canon FD 24mm which was the perfect FL for me.

14mm is on the camera a lot, partly due to its size also been using the 100-300 a lot more than I thought I ever would!

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay then so as soon as I say "settled" it changes. The NEW "settled" is GX1, P14, PL25 and PL45.

Interestingly I am more "settled" with my NEX gear partly because I only use legacy glass with it and partly because I absolutely love the results I have been getting. NEX-C3, Konica 24/2.8, 40/1.8. 50/1.4, 50/1.7. 200/3.5 (and soon to finish it off with a 135/3.2)...and I spent way less for it than my m43 gear.

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Chris, if you're already struggling then I won't point out how much I love my 7-14mm or that of all the shots I've taken with it, more have been at 7mm than all the other focal lengths combined, whereas I can count on one hand the number taken at 9mm. Nor will I mention that if you think you're a wide angle junkie than 7-14 will be pretty much a 7mm prime lens for you and you'll find the 7mm -> 9mm a noticeable and welcome jump.

I won't mention any of that stuff because I'm sure it'd just make your decision to stay settled with your current kit that much harder :biggrin:

14. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Kit Just About Complete

When my backordered 75mm arrives, I think my kit is complete for the foreseeable future.

15. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Love the classic gear: two of my PK lenses are Rikenons (28/2.8 and 70-150 f/4). The 28mm is so good I need no modern AF glass, and at $35 a genuine bargain. The XR 70-150 uses internal focus, didn't even know they did that in the '80s! :blush:

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Haha your right that hasn't helped!!!! If I'm honest I know the 7-14 is not that far off what I had with a Sigma 10-20 on a Sony body before and when I compare it like that I'm not so sure about how much I'd use it, I think before I made the assumption that landscapes meant UWA but thats not so much the case now, I'll give the 9-18 a whirl and see what I think.

I'm really a prime guy now so I can almost see the 9-18 and 14mm getting traded for a 12mm at some point to go along with my 25, 45 and 75 thats on order :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I got the 12mm as my second prime after the 20mm and it's a wonderful lens too. I am not sure I'll see myself using it very much with the 12-35mm being so good optically and more versatile, but I'm not in a rush to sell the 12 either. Love me some prime lenses and the 12 is just such a good lens I'd be a little bummed to see it go :smile:

18. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    At least you have settled down for a while and will probably have GAS for better quality or faster lens. No more wishing for lenses that will cover that certain FoV :)

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is really tough to beat the bang for the buck potential of legacy lenses. I just picked up a really nice Konica 200/3.5 for $49 (with case). It's one sharp lens and in the right situation it can produce some amazing stuff.

20. I could see myself doing the 14 to 12mm swap, but personally I'd hesitate to replace an UWA zoom with a prime lens. It's a shame there is such a big gap in price btween the two wide-angle primes. The 14mm is tiny and cheap but it hasn't really stood out for me so far like the 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 have. Of course I don't know if the 12mm will be right for me either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.