1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro 4/3 Lineup Settled!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 19, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well thats my Micro 4/3 setup settled for now,
    Olympus EM5, 9-18mm, 14mm, 25mm, 45mm and another 100-300mm which I picked up tonight.

Happy with the all round lineup although I would maybe like a 20mm if they sort out some of the issues that it seems to be causing, duplication with the 25mm perhaps but very handy for when I just want a small high quality package of EM5 and pancake lens!

I'm going to reserve judgement on my wide angle until I've used the 9-18mm a little more, very tempted by the 7-14mm and also the 12mm but I really would need to have one of the 3 and while I will leave the 9-18mm up for sale I will use it to see what I think.

Overally very happy now with my lineup, sold the GF2 as I just wasn't going to use it as the EM5 is small itself, might add a cheap 12-50 kit lens if it comes up for the Weather Sealing but apart from that I'm hoping for drier weather so I can get out and shoot!!!!

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I have exactly the same line of thought as you except telephotos are the least used focal length for me so I might settle for the 40-150mm.

3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've never been a big telephoto user myself its always been something I've had in my bag but not used, so usually a cheapy Tamron 70-300 when I had Sony/Pentax.

The 100-300 isn't cheap but with the current cashback its a good price (£340-£350) and I'd like to try my hand at some aircraft photography at Edinburgh Airport and also some motorsport with the BTCC this summer so all good!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm hesitant to say something like "it's settled" being a gear junkie but I have come to a similar kind of place. I sold off pretty much all my m43 gear and have gotten down to a GX1, P14, PL25 and O45 (although the O45 just barely made the cut).

• Like Like x 2
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Nice kit!

• Like Like x 1
  6. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Well, finances have put my gear acquisition to a halt. Fortunately I've got the range that I can live with for a long time (I think). 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and the kit 12-50mm. My wife's E-PM1 has the 40-150 kit so I can always borrow that :)

7. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I've talked myself out of buying a 12mm, it just doesn't seem that it would be an awful lot better to me than the 14mm I already have... still hovering over the buy button on the 7-14mm though, just feels to me that it would "complete" my kit although the 9-18mm would have to go.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Hey! Looks like my kit. Only difference is I'm using legacy 50s instead of the 45, since it's a rarer FL for me (though I've got the FE, which is also used little, but there are no $50 fisheyes).

Nice selection ;)

9. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Same here - it's unsettling to hear myself say that all is well, that might bring on a fit of GAS :eek:
    Actually I'm there with the Pentax gear, but still shuffling the :43: gear seeking the right fit. Nice to know it can be done, though! :cool:

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I try never to tempt fate. :wink:

11. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have to say its not a hugely used FL for me, I've been finding that I've used the 25mm a lot used to use a Canon FD 24mm which was the perfect FL for me.

14mm is on the camera a lot, partly due to its size also been using the 100-300 a lot more than I thought I ever would!

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay then so as soon as I say "settled" it changes. The NEW "settled" is GX1, P14, PL25 and PL45.

Interestingly I am more "settled" with my NEX gear partly because I only use legacy glass with it and partly because I absolutely love the results I have been getting. NEX-C3, Konica 24/2.8, 40/1.8. 50/1.4, 50/1.7. 200/3.5 (and soon to finish it off with a 135/3.2)...and I spent way less for it than my m43 gear.

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Chris, if you're already struggling then I won't point out how much I love my 7-14mm or that of all the shots I've taken with it, more have been at 7mm than all the other focal lengths combined, whereas I can count on one hand the number taken at 9mm. Nor will I mention that if you think you're a wide angle junkie than 7-14 will be pretty much a 7mm prime lens for you and you'll find the 7mm -> 9mm a noticeable and welcome jump.

I won't mention any of that stuff because I'm sure it'd just make your decision to stay settled with your current kit that much harder :biggrin:

14. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Kit Just About Complete

When my backordered 75mm arrives, I think my kit is complete for the foreseeable future.

15. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Love the classic gear: two of my PK lenses are Rikenons (28/2.8 and 70-150 f/4). The 28mm is so good I need no modern AF glass, and at $35 a genuine bargain. The XR 70-150 uses internal focus, didn't even know they did that in the '80s! :blush:

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Haha your right that hasn't helped!!!! If I'm honest I know the 7-14 is not that far off what I had with a Sigma 10-20 on a Sony body before and when I compare it like that I'm not so sure about how much I'd use it, I think before I made the assumption that landscapes meant UWA but thats not so much the case now, I'll give the 9-18 a whirl and see what I think.

I'm really a prime guy now so I can almost see the 9-18 and 14mm getting traded for a 12mm at some point to go along with my 25, 45 and 75 thats on order :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I got the 12mm as my second prime after the 20mm and it's a wonderful lens too. I am not sure I'll see myself using it very much with the 12-35mm being so good optically and more versatile, but I'm not in a rush to sell the 12 either. Love me some prime lenses and the 12 is just such a good lens I'd be a little bummed to see it go :smile:

18. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    At least you have settled down for a while and will probably have GAS for better quality or faster lens. No more wishing for lenses that will cover that certain FoV :)

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is really tough to beat the bang for the buck potential of legacy lenses. I just picked up a really nice Konica 200/3.5 for $49 (with case). It's one sharp lens and in the right situation it can produce some amazing stuff.

20. I could see myself doing the 14 to 12mm swap, but personally I'd hesitate to replace an UWA zoom with a prime lens. It's a shame there is such a big gap in price btween the two wide-angle primes. The 14mm is tiny and cheap but it hasn't really stood out for me so far like the 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 have. Of course I don't know if the 12mm will be right for me either.