'Micro 4/3 is the Big Kahuna' at The Online Photographer

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 5
  2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Interesting article. Yay for m4/3... go go go!
  3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The last few lines sum it up really well..

"Thing is, I'm not sure we have to do any more waiting. Yesterday seemed like a milestone to me. It was a couple of Nikons that arrived, I know that. But somehow it seemed like what really arrived was Micro 4/3." :)
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am not sure what the uproar is about. Nikon just released a camera. It is not like they took away our birthday.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    All I can say is that after seeing what Nikon (and Pentax) have wrought I have no regrets at jumping on the m43 bandwagon.

Full frame seems to be the new "medium format" which makes micro four-thirds the right size for the new "35mm". Anything smaller is the new half-frame or "Minox" and those did not sell that well. APS/C is too large to be small as Sony is discovering with their large lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The article explains exactly that. (Did you read it?) Expectations were sky-high that once the Big Fish showed up, everyone else would be eaten. This was not supposed to be a mere camera announcement. On Sep 20, I was running the numbers on spinning off my m4/3 system entirely and jumping ship. I'm still curious to try the N1 system, but I'm not sure why I would pay for it.
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I read it. I am just surprised how invested people are in a product they have never seen.
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's the internet. Tends to happen.
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hikari, I think you read it too fast :biggrin:. No one there was invested in or even positive about the Nikon. It's pretty much a Micro 4/3 lovefest over there.

I really liked this comment by sneye:

10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Its interesting the Pentax Q's seems to be hitting the shelves now too.

Priced above the E-P3 & E-PL3 in NZ.

Seeing the three side by side its interesting to see how small it is but its not that much smaller than the E-PL3.

Granted the lenses are tiny and they're surprisingly better looking in person than on the web.

Anyone tried one yet ?
  11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I was really referring to the comments in the opening paragraph. I have also seen the response on a few other sites. People have been sorely disappointed by the Nikon release. I guess they are going to have to buy a m4/3 instead...
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    ...and here I was this whole time happy knowing the Micro 4/3 was playing to the best of their abilities in their weight division, lol.
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Oh, I see what you meant now. I was surprised too. Last time I looked, the main story at DPReview had over 800 comments, and they were pretty much all angry :rolleyes:.
  14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    And just imagine, those folks could have spent the last couple of years shooting with an E-P1. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't count Canon out yet. They can go APS-C and make pancakes like Samsung. Not to mention they make their own sensors and probably have one of the best P&S cameras on the market.

Only problem, by following that model they'd kill their low end DSLRs!
  16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Richard... yes. It's looking like m4/3 is "just right" for a lot of applications and your analogy is right on.

Jonathan... it would be awesome if Canon bettered Sony and pulled off an APS-C system with smaller (and more) lenses than Sony has. Who knows... they could create a new sensor size somewhere between APS-C and m4/3 and apply their considerable engineering prowess and financial resources to such an endeavor and simply SMOKE in the compact mirrorless segment. If they're visionary, they might willingly sacrifice their current entry-level APS-C segment at the altar of the future.

Competition for m4/3 is a very good thing. I think Nikon tripped on it's sword. I had hoped it too would have been a NEX killer with better lens options. But at present, that's not to be. Their sacrifice of IQ for smaller size lost me from the get go. But they may do very well with the amateur P&S segment who thinks their small interchangeable lens system is a big deal.

I'm very happy with m4/3 and increasingly so with every new lens and body release, but do look with interest toward forthcoming Canon and Nikon mirrorless systems. So far, anyway, m4/3 continues to be a smashing home run in the mirrorless segment.
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it's remarkable how little attention Samsung is getting. They've created an APS-C CSC system with a few pancakes, exactly the kind of lenses Sony is lacking. I tried the Samsung 30mm f/2 pancake and found it to be very good. Their cameras are in Best Buy just like Oly/Panasonic/Sony, and the Samsung prices are usually lower than everyone else's. Yet, they almost never enter the conversation. I forget they exist. Apparently, so does Mike Johnston.
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I have no regret in investing heavily on 4/3 and m4/3 lenses for my E-P3, and the launch of the Nikon 1 and the Pentax Q just made me feel even better. I think this is the system I am going to stick to for a long time...

I do find it hilarious, though, how strongly, and mostly negatively, people reacted to the news of the Nikon 1s and the Pentax Q. I can understand how these camera don't seem to make much sense on paper, but people are ridiculing these systems before they have even seen the real thing, not to mention trying it first hand...

I think it is a great era for mirrorless system, regardless of the success of the Nikon 1 and the Pentax Q...
  19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I've always said this about Samsung - they really are worth watching as they do have a habit of taking feedback onboard as well as watching what others are doing, and then storming the market using their huge financial muscle along with good marketing and pricing.... they also do the product copy/enhance thing very well, and always for less than the competition.

I've lost count of the number of times I've went to my local store and ended up playing around with that lovely little NX11 that just feels so good in the hand.....
  20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    It's the name - whisper in hushed tones of reverence, "Nikon."

Ever heard the story about the Emperor's New Clothes? :biggrin: