Micro 4/3 camera for high sensitivity photography

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xsting, Sep 20, 2011.

1. xsting

xsting New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Can anybody recommend a micro 4/3 camera that is particularly suited to high sensitivity photography?

I require a camera to take photos in a dark room of low level fluorescence. This is very similar to photographing feint stars in the night sky, in terms of the sensitivity required. Are any cameras/sensors especially suited to this kind of work?

It would be great if the camera could be tethered to a PC or laptop as well, and if options like exposure length and noise reduction could be controlled via a computer.

Thanks for any help! :smile:
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Panasonic GH2 and G3 have the best high-sensitivity performance, although I can't comment on their tethering ability.

To be honest though, if you're not already invested in Micro Four Thirds, I don't think that it would be the best platform for this kind of work. I'd be looking at something like a Nikon D700 (second-hand if you're on a budget) - amazing high-iso performance and lots of affordable fast primes (in the f1.8 range - faster gets expensive)
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    G3 is far and away best sensor performance, that said, I agree with the above - FF has a huge advantage here.

None of the m43 cameras currently support tethering
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    And if you don't want to spend money on D700 even the K5 is a great performer in low light situations.
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I'd imagine something like a Mallincam would be a much better choice. If looking for more dSLR type, astrophotography experts typically recommend Canon, Nikons, or Sonys APS-C platform.