Micro 4/3 camera for high sensitivity photography

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xsting, Sep 20, 2011.

1. xsting

xsting New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    Can anybody recommend a micro 4/3 camera that is particularly suited to high sensitivity photography?

I require a camera to take photos in a dark room of low level fluorescence. This is very similar to photographing feint stars in the night sky, in terms of the sensitivity required. Are any cameras/sensors especially suited to this kind of work?

It would be great if the camera could be tethered to a PC or laptop as well, and if options like exposure length and noise reduction could be controlled via a computer.

Thanks for any help! :smile:

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Panasonic GH2 and G3 have the best high-sensitivity performance, although I can't comment on their tethering ability.

To be honest though, if you're not already invested in Micro Four Thirds, I don't think that it would be the best platform for this kind of work. I'd be looking at something like a Nikon D700 (second-hand if you're on a budget) - amazing high-iso performance and lots of affordable fast primes (in the f1.8 range - faster gets expensive)

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    G3 is far and away best sensor performance, that said, I agree with the above - FF has a huge advantage here.

None of the m43 cameras currently support tethering

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    And if you don't want to spend money on D700 even the K5 is a great performer in low light situations.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd imagine something like a Mallincam would be a much better choice. If looking for more dSLR type, astrophotography experts typically recommend Canon, Nikons, or Sonys APS-C platform.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.