Micro 4/3 believer in Dubai

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by johnfc, Apr 11, 2010.

1. johnfc

johnfc New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2010
    Hello everyone. After 2 years of planning to buy an SLR, I decided to buy a Panasonic GF1. I really wanted to have an SLR but the size keeps on bugging me. When I saw the GF1 in the newspaper, after a day of sizing up the advantages (thanks to the internet info) I look for GF1. To my surprise, it was sold out nearly on all Pnasonic branches! Luckily I got the only one remaining before it will be sold to others.

I'm a proud owner and now, looking for some lenses and accesories. The only gripe is that there isn't available accesories till now...

Happy photography to all!

- John from Dubai, UAE

2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    John.....welcome to mu-43.com.

You won't regret dropping by....it is time well spent.

Shoot plenty......ask LOTS of questions....you'll get them answered with NO attitude.

R

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome John ! Congrats on your great little GF1.
    Take a seat and enjoy this great m43 community.

4. bashar

bashar Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2010
    Hello Jhon, another m43 follower in dubai here, I am planing on getting some panasonic lenses, the local dealer has non:(

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome John,

Great camera and great city!

I have just returned from a trip to Dubai last month (Daughter has just returned after living and working there for 18 months) - I took my GF1 and 3 lenses but used 1 only for 90% of my images (45-200).

I noticed at the airport on the way out that they had a selection of lenses for the GF1.

You can see my latest set of Dubai images on my blogsite below.

6. johnfc

johnfc New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

@ herman and rich M - I'm just a newbie in advance photograpy, this site will be a helpful for me. Im sure.:2thumbs:

@ bashar - Let me know if you found an accesories for our beloved gf1. Hoping to meet fellow micro four third user in Dubai.:smile:

@ Iansky - Thanks for your suggestion, I'l try to check inside the airport, I'm looking for 45-200mm. Actually, I'm planning to visit Thailand by next month, that's why I'm looking for a second lens.

7. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Hello John;

Failing to acquire lenses and stuff in Dubai means that you might consider elsewhere, as you journey, or before.

It doesn't look like Lumix product in Thailand will be easy to source; the product map is in the local language so determining anything ahead of time might be difficult. If you look at Panasonic Global - Lumix for Malaysia, there appears to be plenty of dealers set up in English, three of them just across the border from Thailand. See: http://www.panasonic.com.my/web/cid/MainCont/312

There is always eBay, assuming you can get it to Dubai in time and excise duties are not excessive (however from my memory of the Gulf all the countries have the importation thing locked right up).

Bokeh Diem

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    enjoy the gf1 , its a fine camera , i use it myself and also the ep1 , i would not part with either machine,

have you thought about manual lenses ? they are incredible on micro 4\3

anyway ....welcome!

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

John, a slightly belated welcome to you! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos, when you have the chance.:smile: