1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Micro 4/3 bargains

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dhazeghi, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not difficult to spend a lot of money on m4/3 gear, but there are also some pretty unique options in the bargain/value end of things as well.

I'd say among the most notable ones I've found so far are:

Olympus E-PM1/14-42 kit - $300 (refurbished). For less than the price of a good P&S camera, you get a full-featured ILC with no major deficiencies. Images are sharp, AF is fast, it has a good LCD and the option of an EVF and even the controls are reasonably customizable.

Panasonic 14/2.5 lens - $170 (dekitted version, eBay). Tiny, wide, fast-focusing and reasonably sharp, the dekitted (from GF3/14 kit) 14/2.5 is the smallest, least-expensive wide-angle prime available for any system, by a considerable margin.

Olympus 14-54/Viltrox 4/3 adapter - $250 + $60 (eBay). It's not small and it doesn't autofocus quickly, but the 14-54/2.8-3.5 offers sharpness, wide aperture and excellent close-focus capabilities for a bargain price. Indeed, it's only 1/3 stop slower than the $1300 12-35/2.8, and by all indications the image quality is indistinguishable. The newer 14-54II offers moderately faster AF but little else at more than 2x the cost of a secondhand 14-54.

Anyhow, I'm curious to hear about what others consider to be the biggest m4/3 bargains! Cheers,

DH

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's one of the things I love about:43: - if a person is patient there are great bargains to be had. I got all three of my cameras at really good prices. :biggrin:

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You can get the 14/2.5 new from Korea for close to $150 (also eBay)

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am flatly astounded by some of the bargains available. The EPM1 is practically illogical (but I like it! I hope the EPM2 is similarly priced).

The 14 is another great example.

The ability to use legacy 50s is another one.

The Oly 40-150 is a steal, and really small to boot! You can often get one for $150. The P45-200 is pretty well priced too.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for this thread.We are very lucky and MFT caters everyones need without compromise in image quality . Just pick up EPL1 for USD 129 and add Panny 14 mm 2.5 lens for USD 175 and for around 300 USD u have a beautiful system ready for u.

Please have a look at this as well ..

Search Results

Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    my camera is currently out with the courier ready to be delivered to me.... £360 for a twin lens E-pl3 :) very happy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome Beckyi and from where are u?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Great idea to compile this list, Dara.

I would add:

Olympus E-PL1 body - $130 (refurb./ factory demo). Yes, the E-PL1 has some deficiencies (slow focus, low-res display, clunky controls, etc.), but it is capable of capturing terrific images. In fact, its weak anti-aliasing filter allows it to capture shots that some people prefer. It makes a wonderful backup camera.

Olympus E-PL1/14-42 kit - $190 (refurb./ factory demo). Yes the 14-42 mk1 is probably the "worst" native lens for this system, but again, it's still very capable of creating fantastic images and this price point makes entrée into the :43: system competitive with even semi-decent P&S cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In EU ebay shops you can get the E-PL1 for close to 150 euro and the E-PL2 for 200. All new (not refurbished), body only.

Sometime ago, there were new GF2 kits, with the 14mm f/2.5, going for less than 350 euro, which is also a good deal if you have use for the particular lens.

All the above are great choices for a second :43: body.

10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Okay, I'm just sharing this to brag because it's not a "deal" that others can benefit from but...a couple of weeks ago I got a lovely used silver E-P3 with 14-42 II R for a cool $400. Found it on the 'bay as a Buy It Now that must have been priced way too high originally and then priced way too low right before I snatched it.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The take away from that is bargains come in different ways. While the pace of body upgrades can be frustrating, the benefits are plentiful as well. Deals like this E-P3 may come because someone "had" to jump to an E-M5 and now has a Visa bill staring them in the face.

Used GH1s and GF1s are nice bargains.

I also like the Sigma lenses for their high value.

So many good choices.

12. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I bought a GF2 and 14mm brand new a few weeks ago for £300 mainly for the lens which I thought was good, its now £200 on Dixons.co.uk!

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    1) Buy a G1 with a 14-45mm on eBay, sell the lens. End up with the G1 body at a net cost of $100 +/-. I have done this twice.

2) Original Oly 14-42mm: Mine cost me $65 delivered because the pixel peepers have convinced everyone that it is not the best lens going. For shooting actual photos of actual things, it is fine. For shooting photos of lens test charts, maybe not the best but so what? Its collapsible design makes it the most compact (by far) of the 14-4x kit lenses. It's actually the same size as my 9-18 and carries easily in my pocket when I have the 9-18 on a body.

So, with a little lurking and a little luck you can have a G1 with a 14-42 Oly for $150.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, hard to beat an E-PL1 on price, at least if you're looking for something with a warranty. The only caveat is that I would only recommend them to certain types of shooters. I do know a few people who wound up returning them (E-PL1s) due to frustrations regarding focusing and things. But for deliberative photographers, it's a gem.

Wow, that's pretty incredible. I've not seen as many G1s as I used to. Perhaps the people who found the have bought them all up!

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

DH

15. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    Hey, Thanks, I'm from England, up north in Sunderland :)

16. deprivedofsleep

deprivedofsleep Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Northants, UK
    And it's thanks to that very deal that I'm on these boards. :biggrin:

My first order got cancelled due to no stock, they told me no more would be coming in either.

Gutted, I went off looking for GF3 kits instead, resigning myself to settling for the body I didn't like so much.

Then it popped back up again on the Dixons page for all of 5 mins. Fired off another order expecting it to be cancelled...
    ...day later it gets delivered.

Made me smile. :)

17. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    GH1 are a steal imo.