1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Michael Reichmann's GM1 Field Report

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Replytoken, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like Michael's site and reviews a lot, but as a regular reader of LL I know that any camera without an eye level viewfinder is not going to get any love there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    The amusing thing is that his next post listed it amongst Panasonic's "failures". Really? The GM-1 isn't for me, but that doesn't make it a failure or a mis-step. It's just a product meant for someone else. The Nikon 4s isn't for me, either, but I think I will hold off calling it a 'failure'.

4. derangboy

derangboy New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2010
    near Calgary
    My original impression was that Panasonic deliberately made it figity to emphasize the smallness! Over the past few weeks, I have come to adapt somewhat to the rear wheel. I would agree that it is too difficult to operate without clicking, that manual focus with the kit zoom is trying and the LCD is difficult to view in bright light. But compared to the camera it replaces (LX5), and others I could have bought (RX100), I'm quite happy with it.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have sympathies on both sides of the issue of small camera bodies. I did not dislike my E-PL5, but it required a different shooting style than a camera like the E-M5. It was a trade I was wiling to make for the sake of size, but now that I have a Ricoh GR, I am happier using an E-M5. I am a big fan of two control wheels, and while the placement on the E-M5 is not perfect, it is workable. I am sure that if size was important, I would make peace with the GM1. But, that does not mean that a better design is not possible, and preferred. The GR is larger than the GM!, but its design and handling really meet my needs in a small body.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I like the gm1 esp w/ Oly 1.8 lenses and silent e-shutter for street, but I have similar rear wheel experience as RM when I change the aperture and it gets frustrating. I have been using RX100 for 2 years; used bigger epl5, & smaller Canon S95, Ricoh R6, etc and I never had a similar issue. GM1 needs aperture on the lenses like the new panaleica lenses to make the camera more usable or maybe a better wheel w/ nex gen camera...

I also tried RX1 fotodiox grip and it worked though it is bigger w/ longer base. It handles better w. Oly 1.8 lenses and it reduced my lcd touch screen problems...

7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    sounds like a honest review to me from his perspective ?

he likes M4/3 and has been supporting them and can see a tiny camera with not so good controls being well not so good :)

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've had that trouble with each of my Panasonic m4/3 bodies (GF1, GX1, G5). I may be a klutz...

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Dear MR, it has a touch screen, you know.

Perhaps not a solution in THE ANTARCTIC, where you chose to road test it, but how fair is it to review a tiny camera with a touch screen while wearing snow gloves, mate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    90% of my camera time is with FX Nikons, so I like my viewfinder, firm dials and non touch-screen. I was fearful I wouldn't like the GM1, but when you approach it as a different animal, halfway between DSLR and smartphone, it's very enjoyable. The back thumbwheel is no problem at all. It has a nice feel to it and a firm enough detent that I've yet to bump it accidentally.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    Ummm, I didn't see any mention of the use of the option EVF in this rave review: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_rx100.shtml

Nor did he take the RX100 to the Antarctica with no preparation or practice and call his resulting impression a review.

Fran

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There may be exceptions, but MR has reviewed many compacts on LL, and for the most part he hates the ones that lack an eye level viewfinder. And he takes lots of compacts lots of places with little preparation or practice and calls his impressions reviews. As I said, I like his stuff, but this GM1 review is no surprise!

• Like Like x 2
  13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    But a simple more P&S style rig should be super easy to figure out and use without having to do a lot of reading etc...

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't get the outrage - Reichmann doesn't do high-tech, super detailed reviews, nor does he pretend to be unbiased or balanced. He has a pleasant style, is clear about his personal preconceptions and beliefs, and presents a fair, personal view of what the GM-1 is and isn't for him. Read the last sentence of the review.

Personally, this kind of thing tells me plenty about whether the camera would or would not be a good match for me, because I can compare his expectations with his experiences, and decide (based on past personal experience) whether I think they would hold for me as well. Bottom line right now is that I think it would be a fun camera to have, but it lacks the pocketability of the RX100. So not quite compelling enough at the current price point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Agree completely. I've been on LL for many years and find MR's review and impressions very helpful. His priorities aren't identical to mine, but there's almost always enough info that I can tell if a piece of gear would be good for me, even if he's not thrilled with it.
    It was actually a discussion of the then new GX1 on LL that lead me to :43:.

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Not with anything but a body cap lens mounted (smaller I mean, not sure about lighter)

18. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I read Reichmann's review, I see where he is coming from as the only way I would buy a body that has no VF option is that it was effectively free with a lens and it may well be on Ebay the next day. I find it hard to use screens now and it does not fit in my way of working, on my EP-1 I am always instinctively trying to put it up to the eye. That being said I see the GM1 as an LX3 continuation with the added bonus of both interchangeable lenses and a decent sized sensor, for those who like a small camera coming from LX3's small Sony Canons etc its a brilliant upgrade.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This review certainly wouldn't discourage me from buying the GM1 if I wanted it. The images are good and the complaints are mostly obvious or vague. He's pretty clear about his biases.