MFT Wish List - What would you like to see on next Olympus P4

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

MFT Wish List - What would you like to see on next Olympus P5

Dear Friends
    Sony Nex 7 is out and Stevehuff had a brief look at the camera and it looks damn hot . I was wondering what we may or may not get in the next Olympus Pen .
    My wish list for next pen is
    1) weather sealed body
    2) inbuilt VF or Oly should supply free with the camera
    3) New sensor but not necessarily more megapixels
    4) faster frame rate - at least 6 fps
    5) tilting LCD
    6) Dual card slot
    7) inbuilt bluetooth which should allow you to trigger the shutter from your bluetooth enabled mobile.
    8) Last but not least - Olympus and panasonic should send new cameras to this website Admin and senior members for reviews as sony did with Nex 7 - They sent the camera to Stevehuff's Home. I am wondering why Olympus or panasonic haven't done this so far. This site is the numero uno for MFT users.
    Have your say please ..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    EP4

in your list i am interested in that order :

1) better sensor
    2) inbuilt VF ( remove flash if needed )
    3) weather sealed body
    4) wireless trigger like on my E420

i wouldnt like a tilting lcd, it would add bulk and the touch focus of the EP3 is all i want.

at the moment its only 1) that kept me from upgrading my EP2
    and gave me enough willpower ( its hard ! ) not to buy an EP3 for the faster AF and the touch focus and better resolution screen.

edit :

if i was still using kit lens i would probably have already bought an EP3, i was terribly disappointed by the EP2 AF at first, but with lenses i bought after it got closer to usable, even if my kid is often faster :p

3. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    1. New EVF that is smaller, more responsive (120hz), has a lock, more accurate (reduced crushed blacks), about the same price.
    2. Lighter/smaller/thinner (ie, new shell)
    3. More responsive buttons
    4. Faster power up
    5. Less shutter lag
    6. Wireless trigger
    7. Good quality screen
    8. More convenient ON button
    9. Retro looks
    10. Better sensor
    11. Silent/quiet shutter
    12. Weather sealing
    13. Better battery efficiency
    14. 50 base iso
    15. 8000th shutter speed

I wrote them roughly in the order that I want them. I really think that most of these things are realistic and possible without sacrificing too much, although the new EVF and weather sealing while reducing the mass would both be far fetched.

Hopefully the GFX1 will fulfill many of these criteria.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Smaller than a E-PM1?

5. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    1) better sensor, higher iso
    2) inbuilt vf
    3) tri-navi like controls

6. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Smaller than an e-p3. I don't need it as small as the epm1, which looks ugly with its protruding lens mount.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'm largely content with my E-PL2. I suppose more DR would be nice, and the camera could be a bit slimmer, but all-in-all, I'm happy.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

i forgot to add GPS and gyroscope ..lol
    There is nothing wrong in wishing . But I am damn serious that Olympus and Panasonic should send new cameras to this website admin and other senior members for reviews.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    E-P3 with built in EVF would get my money....1080p video at 24 or 25fps would be good too

K

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Tilt touch screen
    Better noise and dynamic range
    Lighter body
    Better ibis

Don't want a built in evf
    Don't care about weather sealing.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    slightly larger E-P3 shaped body to accommodate the class leading viewfinder that MUST be part of my next camera.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Would like to see them continue to offer compact body without EVF, as I think that's a market need, but I do want a body withh an EVF, and also the EPL3 type tilty screen.

Should I say a better sensor? For me, I only need better DR in ISO 100-400 and better tonal gradients, though I know many others want better high ISO.

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    An EP3 with the tilt-screen of the Nex / EPL3, the EVF of the Nex7 (but not one that takes up any more space or changes the shape of the camera significantly - for my money they could just replace the flash with the EVF) would do it for me. If they update the sensor for better low light and DR, that wouldn't be a BAD thing, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results I can pull out of the curent pens, so the sensor is less important to me than the features. And if they never combine all of those things into one "perfect / ultimate / jesus" camera, that's OK too. I'm really happy as a clam with my EPL3 and the add on VF2 for the rare times I really want an EVF. The flip screen is more important to me than the other stuff - it would be nice if it came with the improved handling of the EP3, but the handling of the EPL3 with the Franiac grip really doesn't leave much to be desired...

I really don't have a damn thing to complain about with my current setup.

-Ray

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I won't buy any new :43: without a good quality integrated VF. If Oly can deliver this on the next Pen I will be hard-pressed to not purchase.

Beyond that, I'd love to see Oly do a casual sports shooter/soccer mom focused camera. Not sure how possible it is to match something like Canon 60D (which certainly isn't the top of the heap as sports shooters go), but I think it would be a huge seller. Body doesn't have to be Pen sized or shaped (G3 form would be fine).

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think it's interesting to look at these comments. Many of them similar, many are diverse. By all appearances, I don't think Oly can win.

16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    EPL-2 owner

-better control dials (two or three)
    -Some type of focus assist feature for legacy glass (a peaking function linked to a focus box)
    -A small corner mounted built in EVF.
    -more DR
    -ISO of 100 or 50
    -Better user interface with more customization

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Why not just buy a GH camera, then? Not sure you'll get much better than that one, and still remain pretty compact. IBIS wouldn't help for sports shooting anyway, as your shutter speeds need to be high.

18. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    usable iso6400

19. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    My list is sort of a subset of what some others have posted.
    I would be pretty happy if Olympus or Panasonic could make a mft camera with:

-weather sealed body
    -a good inbuilt VF, the VF makes my E-P2 seem larger than my G2
    -new sensor not necessarily more megapixels, specifically cleaner low-light high-iso(this is one of my two minor complaints about my G2)
    -rangefinder style body (this is the other one of my two minor issues with my G2)
    -plenty of direct controls like a direct AF point selector. It could be a thumbstick on the back or whatever, but having to drop into SCP on my EP2 just to change AF points bugs. I like touch AF on the G2, but sometimes I touch accidentally and change the AF point, and you can't use touch AF while looking through the VF, so a control for that would be nice.

For that matter I think the G2 gets a lot of things right, especially the control system and EVF/LCD viewing system. If only the G2 could have been everything my G2 is but in a small L1 style body with weather sealing, I could overlook the low-light/high-iso jpegs and no thumbstick for AF point selection... It is too bad Panasonic didn't consult me first.:wink:

20. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The one common request that I see is built-in VF (or EVF).

So in addition to the built-in EVF, I'd like to see the following on body and form factor styled after the EP1/2/3 (which I do like a lot):

- full customization of the user customizable buttons, instead of limiting user to assign only certain functions to certain buttons (quite shortsighted IMO);
    - tilt screen while retaining the excellent OLED touch screen;
    - 16 mp Panasonic sensor;
    - 7 fps (if Sony can do it on the NEX, I don't see why Oly/Pany couldn't)
    - Panorama sweep (I'm not keen of doing stitching myself)
    - slightly larger jog wheel