1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MFT will be dead, again

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by htc, Aug 13, 2013.

1. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
  2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    He makes some valid points.. let's see what happens between NOW and by late DECEMBER because the new releases from Sony, and Fuji have potentially groundbreaking significance. However, the m4/3'rds owners needn't worry because they have cameras that are mature, focus fast, and have a good following.

I notice that 4/3's has met it's demise.. but with the excellent lenses live on?

Olympus E-5 now marked as discontinued. Was likely the last FT camera? | 43 Rumors

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I saw this article a while back. I don't see a need for an f1.0 lens.

4. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

"The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated."

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Mark Twain

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    The 42,5mm is not f1.0, but is almost there, and there was a Panasonic rumor months ago about a fixed lens m4/3 sensored camera.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    People always overlook the different aspect ratios between 4/3 and APS-C sensors when making comparisons.

Sure, APC-C has more surface area, but the difference is mainly on the sides to give it the longer aspect ratio. If it had a 3:4 ratio rather than a 2:3 ratio, the surface area would be only 45 square mm larger.

The pixel density of a 16mp 4/3 sensor and a 24mp APS-C sensor should be nearly the same. And both have a much higher density that a 36 mp FF sensor like on the Nikon 800.

And that doesn't even get into the merits of the sensor technologies out there themselves.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:smile: email him if he can buy it for few cents :wink::wink: .An other day , an other ignorant and arrogant blogger ...same old story ..same old prediction ...same conviction which sound more like a fiction :drinks:. MFT is like an illegitimate child of digital era which every one is scared of because it is asking for respect and share in digital photography world . If MFt was a child of so called Legitimate couple of photography world Nikon and Canon then it would have been a resolutionary and niche and best innovation of modern digital era. But Olympus and Panasonic didn't chose to sleep with N and C , so we will have to live with this digital social stigma of small sensor vs tall sensor .MFT was cursed at birth ,ignored as an infant , bashed as a toddler but wait till it matures totally ..it will grab the biggies by throat .MFT is achieving all the mile stones at right age . :biggrin::biggrin:But having said that we need to relax guys ... Ignore these all and enjoy ur MFT gear without fear . These guys have to generate traffic and dollars for themselves so MFT is flavour of the decade but believe me it won't die or fade :drinks:.
    In modern fast changing economic era everything is possible , Nikon and Canon can go bankrupt as well , what will happen then? We need to learn to live without fear and enjoy our present without worrying about future . Such articles are just a laughing stock for for and nothing more than that :smile:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I don't pay too much attention to these minor bloggers. They are entitled to their opinions but :43: has risen from the dead more often than Jesus.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Snooze, reminds me of the street corner preachers saying that the world is going to end and we should all repent! Plus anybody who starts a blog entry with a sensor size diagram really doesn't have his photographic priorities straight. Why not prove to me that when I'm in the field, APS-C sensor bodies will give me that significant advantage with pictures. I'm also in the camp that DSLRs aren't going away, but I also think M43 has significant design advantages over APS-C especially with the selection of the 4:3 format sensor. Lenses will always have a compact design edge because of it.

11. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    While he may have some valid points, he loses all credibility with this one statement:

"Lens quality: Olympus and Panasonic deliver lenses that range from mediocre to quite good. But not one truly excellent M4/3 lens exists. Not one ..."

Hmm, isn't the Panasonic 25 1.4 highly regarded? Isn't the Olympus 75 1.8 one of the sharpest lenses ever tested in any format?

He also doesn't look beyond camera size. Yes, some APS cameras are small, but the lenses are not.

Having just come from a very compact APS-C system (Pentax K5II) it is still much, much bigger than m43.

As a system, m43 offers plenty of choices and a maturity Fuji (which I came very close to going to) has yet to achieve.

The difficulty I see with m43, Pentax, etc ... is market saturation. Nikon and Canon are everywhere. Niche manufacturers have trouble getting noticed by consumers, much less recommended by sales people.

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    4/3 was a spectacular failure, but I think Olympus and Panasonic have learned their lesson.

Canon & Nikon (and also to a certain extent Sony) were able to succeed because during the transition to digital they already had well-established systems, offering lenses and accessories at almost every price point. For most users, it didn't make sense to buy a 4/3 camera and then either use kit lenses or buy extremely good, but also extremely expensive, large and heavy pro glass.

Ironically, Micro 4/3 can be a mirrorless equivalent of Canon EOS system — while other companies are asleep at the wheel, Panasonic and Olympus have already introduced a very extensive lens range. Their flash system right now is also second only to Nikon. As such, it's natural for an aspiring photographer to choose Micro 4/3 instead of Sony NEX or Nikon 1, just as it was natural to choose Canon/Nikon/Sony in the last decade.

13. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    My dad shot Canon for many years and went Nikon full frame. This summer on a visit with him in California and a trip to Sequoia, he was sold and is going OMD. Another friend of mine does medical photography Nikon FF also spent an afternoon with our family. After holding the gear in his hand and seeing what I have shot since the past few months with EPL1 and subsequently OMD, he is going micro 4/3.

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, they starting from scratch since Olympus had basically abandoned the OM system in the 90s. Canon and Nikon and others were able to transition their film systems to digital and keep a large customer base because of it. Though in the long run I think it may hurt them -- they're stuck with legacy formats that make their cameras bulkier than they need to be, which they can't easily abandon.

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As I've posted on another subject on Serious Compacts, just because someone has a blog doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. It's one person's opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. And if both Olympus and Panasonic introduced f/1.0 lenses tomorrow, micro four thirds would still be dying because someone would be wringing their hands over the absence of an f/0.75 or f/0.5 lens.

16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I wouldn't agree that 4/3 was/is a spectacular failure, more a format that never quite realized its potential until it morphed into :43:. It still has the same sensor size and aspect ratio, and seems to be holding its own on a global basis in a fiercely competetive market amidst difficult trading conditions in many countries. Depending on how successful the lens compatibility solution is on the soon to be announced Olympus camera, there could still be a bright future for some of the undeniably fantastic 4/3 HG and SHG lenses, at least with photographers who aren't too concerned with size and weight.

I've used the 4/3 system since the E-500 and still have the E-3 plus a few lenses. I was always particularly pleased with that camera, the way it handled, its features and the output I got from it. The only reason why I stopped using it in favour of :43: was difficulty carrying it all day due to ill health. In fact it took a long time and a variety of Pens and a G1 before I finally found a :43: camera (the EM-5) which I regarded as a suitable replacement. I still can't quite bring myself to part with the E-3 and in my eyes that hardly makes the system a spectacular failure. :smile:

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:2thumbs:
    I have posted a comment on his blog and it will never be published . I have invited him to visit this forum and scroll through thousands of pictures taken by beginners and advanced/ pro users uploaded on this forum and then tell him that don't bluff and talk bull**** when your knowledge and experience with MFT is just limited to once page blog :biggrin:
    Cheers

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe he secretly loves M43, but he needed blog hits so he wrote a negative entry! Maybe I should do that to increase my blog viewership! :wink::biggrin::tongue:

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ah but there's those wonderful Voigtlanders :smile:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And Sony transitioning to mirrorless Full Frame might snatch up some of those Nikon & Canon users :smile: