MFT vs Nikon Mirrorless Vs Pentax Q ?Why do they compare these toys with MFT?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just came across reviews of Nikon mirror less and pentax Q system on www.ephotozine.com, They often compare these new systems to MFT system and I think thats totally unfair. They should be compared with each other I mean Nikon Mirrorless Vs pentax Q system or they should be compared with high end compacts like panny LX5 , canon S100 etc etc . I don't understand the rationale behind launching these cameras either. All those soccer mums will are happy with super zoom cams and everyone else can pick up anything between MFT and FF .Does everyone thinks the same way or its only me?
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-q-compact-system-camera-review-17429

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The rationale is that the manufacturers have identified a market of people who are willing to spend 500-800 dollars on a camera to take "better" pictures than they are getting with their current camera without getting too caught up with technic details like sensor size

The Nikon and Pentax systems are just other interpretations on how to achieve this...personally I think they will fail in global sense... but I am sure Nikon and pentax will have done their sums and will certainly not lose money on them.

K

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I think it is just you. They do actually compare it with the S90 which is a compact. Besides, it is a free country/planet, they can compare them with anything they want.

There are different cameras for different people. Nor do I understand lashing out against soccer moms--whoever they may be. Personally, I think the Q is fun and I shoot digital cameras with larger sensors than FF. I hope camera companies keep exploring new camera designs whether I buy them or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would not jump to that conclusion so fast. Many companies have lost money on products that were new. Those two systems could easily bomb.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Go away troll, take your brand wars somewhere else. Looking at this and your previous posts, they all attempt to be inflammatory, with no rational thought to back them up.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    For the same reason Micro Four Thirds is compared with DSLRs :wink:

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You mean the inflammatory post were he thanks Amin for creating the site or the inflammatory post were he details differences between two Olympus models? His other post seem pretty tame as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Inflammatory?? I couldn't find any of my posts Inflammatory? My main concern regarding these cameras is that Nikon and Pentax just created a product for the sake of creation .I fully agree they might have done their groundwork before the launch of these cameras but still it doesn't guarantee any success. I was expecting Nikon to come up something like Sony Nex series and that would have been a killer product. The samething applies to Pentax as well. I agree its a free world and anyone can create and market any product but Nikon is not anybody in the camera market .Anyway lets keep our fingers crossed and see what happens. The other thing which baffles me the price. They are quite overpriced actually and I will think twice before paying such a hefty price for a new system .

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Killer for who? Nikon and other manufacturers design for a market, not individual photographers.

As far as the price, I think you will find it is reasonable and that prices for Japanese products are going to go up. The high yen is reason enough.

Funny, a lot of the criticism that was leveled against the m4/3 format (if only the sensor was bigger, it is too expensive, it is a toy) is being used against these new cameras. Sometimes history repeats itself...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bhupinder2002

Lets hope that it succeeds and we have another system to play with .

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Yes, "image IQ" has always been the MFT counter-point against the APS-C crowd.

So you're correct here, the tables are now turned and "image IQ" is now the Nikon 1/Pentax Q counter-point against MFT....:2thumbs:

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have no real opinion about the Nikon, but the Pentax Q is a neat little walk around camera. I think it's priced too high, but it's fine as a very small pocket camera. The interchangeable lens part is not so much "on the fly" as it is "what do i take today". My wife has the Pentax Optio I-10, which has the same size sensor as the Q. I'm always surprised by how good the IQ is as iso 400 and below. I guess they compare it to mu43 because there is really no other peer, but it's close to being apples and oranges.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You don't see it in his posts?
    That, along with this OP, were HALF his posts. Blindly bashing whatever he isn't using. Bhupinder, if you find a DSLR or a GH2 to be lackluster, then it's your skills mate, not the camera, because as far as image quality is concerned, it's not even a fair race.

There's a camera for every situation. MFT isn't immune from problems. At least with a "soccer mom" camera like the XZ-1, I get an f/1.8-2.5 zoom lens, instead of the consumer-grade f/3.5-f/5.x lenses we currently have here.

Amen, this is exactly what I said in the first few Nikon V1 threads, but then I just gave up. I can literally replace every instance of "Nikon V1" in the OP, and replace it with "m4/3", and it's exactly the same argument that many SLR users make against MFT.

For the same price as any MFT camera, I can give you an SLR that will whoop it up and down the street, as far as image quality and "professional capability" are concerned.

I love my I-10!

14. Bhupinder2002

I never said that DSLR had low IQ than MFT. I did say that GH2 is overrated camera and yes it is . MFT is all about portability and panny MFT bodies still look like DSLR apart from GF1-GF3. The out of camera JPEGs are the best in PEN series . You will plenty of people who ditched GH2 for size and poor IQ and u can still find many who like panny G series.Its a matter of personal preferences . After using PEN for the last 2 yrs I really find DSLR ugly and cumbersome and thats my opinion and I stand by it.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I respectfully disagree. If MFT was "all about portability" then it would have been the Pentax Q. As with all camera formats, MFT hopes to define a unique combination of image quality, features, and size, and the GH2 is about combining the best M43 sensor with class-leading video capabilities in a small (not smallest possible) package. It's a unique position and that's what drew me to it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bhupinder2002

I respectfully agree that It (GH2) has class leading video capabilities but IQ is nothing exceptional . I agree overall its a good package but again its not my cup of tea. I am happy with my Olympus Pen and hoping they will change the sensor next time. Pentax Q is smaller and portable but how successful its gonna be ?That remains a billion dollar question . I think it doesnt deserve a hefty price tag.

17. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Somebody please stop this madness.

Micro 4/3 is unique among other camera systems exactly because it has 2 major companies backing the standard. That's why we have so many camera bodies and lenses - more than any other mirrorless system out there.

But of course there are some... people (I really want to use an expletive but don't think it will be appreciated here) who use this advantage as the reason to start holy wars.

Do we really need such people (and their hateful postings) here?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bhupinder2002

I agree and my apologies.We should be happy that we have so many camera bodies to choose from . Lets stop is here and start enjoying the photography.
    cheers

19. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    From dpreview First Impressions -

We've only just started critical analysis of the V1's files, but my first impressions are generally quite positive. Considering the size of its sensor, the V1 gets pretty close to the pixel-level image quality of cameras like the Olympus E-PL3 and Panasonic GF2, although it is clearly no match for the 16MP sensor in the Sony NEX-C3 and NEX-5N, which offer both higher resolution and superior high ISO performance.

20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Kai Wong reviewed the Pentax Q recently and he shares your sentiments:
    DigitalRevCom's Channel - YouTube