1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MFT Purist Or Brand Agnostic?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RepublicImages, May 11, 2018.

1. RepublicImages

RepublicImages Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    California
    I recently came back to MFT. And I have to say I missed the lens choices.

With that said, I picked up a very lightly used, near mint condition EM1mk1 and I have been spending the last few days picking out which lenses I want to mate with it.

I traded out a Sigma Sony E 30/1.4 for the same glass in MFT mount, so I had that coming in, and today I received a O75/1.8. Next week I should be receiving a O14-150ii.

I mostly shoot as a hobbyist, but every so often I'll be tapped by my employer to shoot work events (rallies/forums/etc.) so I have been looking and debating on what my next WA lens should be.

As much as I like the Panasonic offerings, I just can't seem to stomach the idea of placing Panasonic material on my Olympus body. I was the same way when I had my GX85 though and before that my EM-5. I've always been a brand segregationist, and I really don't know why. How many of you also fall into this mindset? What is your reasoning, if any?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I dunno, but I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about Olympus. I'm a Panasonic fan. However, I think it's due to the very useful and actually real (as opposed to being purely brand-related) functioning of Panasonic cameras. I prefer the menus, I prefer DfD focusing which you don't get with an olympus lens. I own an Olympus 25mm f1.8, and I like it a lot, but I rarely use it. To me, Olympus is shinier and prettier, but less usable, than Panasonic.

So, I consider myself a practical brand loyalist, but my gear is pretty agnostic. My main primes include a Sigma and aforementioned Olympus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I mix and match. At the moment I like Panasonic bodies but prefer the Oly pro lenses.
    If you want weather sealing I would not mix and match.
    The only lens/body combination I would be wary of is Oly bodies and the Panasonic 100-400. Most have had no problems with that combination but some have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I couldn't care less which brand makes my glass and have both Panasonic and Olympus lenses (as well as numerous adapted models). I'm more concerned about bang for my buck than which logo adorns my kit.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Good point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I'm a complete Olympus loyalist. The only lenses digital lenses I use with my Oly are Oly. I have to completely disagree that Olympus is "less usable than Panasonic." Maybe this is true for some people, but I find Panasonic to be boring. That's my opinion, however. :) 

Back to the body + lens conversation. If you're getting the results you want, being a "brand segregationist" works for you (and since you've picked Olympus, you get some amazing glass to choose from). What's important is that you are getting the results you want. I've seen thousands of amazing photos taken on Olympus bodies using Panasonic lenses. And vice versa.

7. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    That's how I got here -- concern over using a Panasonic lens on Olympus cameras (12-35 f2.8). People with experience assured me it would be fine and they are right. Works fine on E-P5 as well as the older E-PL2. Just using adapted legacy lenses is an act of "heresy" against brand-matching even if an Olympus lens (maybe not 4/3), but as we see in many cases here very worthwhile. So I guess I learn from other's positive experiences

8. I have nothing against Panasonic, but the Olympus lenses have always given me more GAS.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Heh I have all Oly bodies and exactly 50/50 Oly and Panny lenses. And sadly too many of both.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Panasonic is more boring, because you spend more time looking at your subject and less time looking at the camera ;) 

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I've only had Olympus bodies but used Olympus, Panasonic, and Sigma lenses with no problems. There were a few gotchas, but no insoluble problems. I have read some of those threads discussing the compatibility of weather seals on the lens mount with Panasonic vs Olympus matching, so I think if that was important, I'd match bodies and lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Observation: Brand loyalist, but Sigma is okay. Interesting. Maybe that is your answer: Olympus and Sigma glass. No weather-sealing, but I never even imagined such a thing "back in the day". You can easily protect your camera from rain; wind is much harder.

13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Don't care between the two, I have used both makers fine cameras and lenses, also Sigmas 60mm all have been good. The only thing I prefer are Panasonic zooms but that's due to the direction of the zoom ring, came from Fuji's S3 with a Nikon zoom and before that Minolta's so all the lenses twisted the same way. But I hardly use zooms so its a mixed bag with other makers thrown in there as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. macro

macro Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 22, 2012
    New Zealand
    I like Canon lenses on the Oly bodies. Mind you, I like the Canon lenses on Sony bodies as well. Mix and match, yep :) 

• Like Like x 3
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Cameras and lenses are simply tools for the photographer. Why would you not want to use the best tools you can obtain?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    m43 is m43, kinda.
    There is a thread discussing this. Apparently the mounts are just a slight bit different in outer diameter, such that the weather sealing gaskets do/may not seal when crossing brands.
    But if you do not shoot in the rain or your lens or body is not weather sealed, then that makes no practical difference.

While I would have loved to stay with Olympus, the Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 seemed a better fit for me than the Olympus 12-50, so I went with the Panasonic. And I love having that option.

One thing is, the Olympus cameras cannot take advantage of the Panasonic OIS (in-lens IS), to do Sync IS where the lens and body IS are working together. It is either lens or body IS, not both. Only the Olympus lens with IS can do Sync IS on the Olympus cameras. But as of now, there are only two Olympus pro lenses with lens IS, the 12-100 and 300 f/4.

There is a practical issue with cross branding. The direction that the zoom ring turns, to zoom. I understand that Panasonic and Olympus lenses turn in different directions when zooming in/out. This may not make much difference to some, but when you are in a fast moving situation (sports or following the kids), you do not want to loose time (and the shot) because you zoomed in the wrong direction.
    This is the same issue we had in the film days, with which direction the focus ring turned, to go to infinity. Most of us high school kids could not afford the camera brand lens, we had to use cheaper 3rd party lenses (Vivitar, Soligor and others).
    When you are shooting fast, you rely on muscle memory. Your brain say zoom in, and your hand just turns the zoom ring in the correct direction.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. The Olympus lovers already said that. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wow Wow x 1
  18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm a "right tool for the job" kind of guy, brand be damned in most cases.

I have mixed of lenses for m43 & Nikon, assured lenses. You spend your money however you like and what best suits you. If that memea sticking with OEM everything, then so be it.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I only drink milk from brown cows.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Well I only drink milk from brown and white speckled cows because the milk alternates between chocolate and white milk every other teet. :) 

• Funny Funny x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.