MFT Pinhole lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by guzziknight, Jul 12, 2011.

1. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
  2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    I don't know... I think there could be higher quality MF lenses for $40...
    Never really understood pinhole lenses, except maybe as a cool self-made physics illustration, but in this case I would say it's being self-made that makes it cool, why pay for it?
  3. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Seems the difference between the center part of the image and the vignetted corners too much for my tastes...
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Pinholes are fun... IF u experiment by yourself with some black paper, blu-tack and a needle. Pay for it readymade, and you missed the whole fun.
    As for pinhole optical quality, it IS a joke: even Leonardo D.V. knew that any magnifier/loupe would do better. Field diaphragm optional, though recommended.
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
  6. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Got one and love it! Needs a sunny day ( or a tripod )
  7. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Yep, didn't realize this had been posted before. Thanks!
  8. NicolasGOD

NicolasGOD Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Riyadh, KSA / France
  9. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
  10. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Kevin, what a fun video. I might need to play around with that. It's been years since I've worked with pinholes and that was using ASA 10 paper and film ASA 25-160, some with f/292. It never occurred to me to use digital at ISO 3600.

12. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Thanks mate, whole evening routine ruined thanks to you and Midnight Special (Vol 30) now playing on iTunes. I did a Google on pinholes the other day and found various ways of making a workable lens, mostly using a cap. I use a Holga and love experimenting with anything I can lay my hands on, also bought a set of ancient 46mm filters which fit the 20mm. Great vid by the way.
  13. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Truly the fun is in the making. You are not limited to just one hole. Here is one with 4. It is 15 years old so please forgive the IQ. Sorry it's so crappy. Poor scanner and 5th generation image.

4 pinhole with film. Car is parked.

Single pinhole with film. "Water Park" - the Gary, In waste water treatment facility
  14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Bob -If you're into pinhole, here is the most definitive source.

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

16. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Slr magic also makes one that is 12mm and has glass covering the hole to prevent dust from reaching the sensor, which I would find appealing if i was in the market for one. Though I suppose that may affect the image.

It can be seen on eBay. Here is a link to a review if anyone is interested:

Review: SLR Magic x Toy Lens Pinhole for Micro Four Thirds
  17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I bought a used Pinwide quite a while back here on the forum. It takes a lot of light, but it's fun to play with. It's sturdier and safer than homemade pinhole lenses - it has a lens-type insert so that dust can't get into the camera body. It comes in a nice little metal can that's easy to toss in a camera bag. :cool:
  18. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Dust isn't a problem. With a flange focal distance is 19.25mm, the diameter of a correctly focused pinhole is 0.14625mm (0.00575") producing an aperture of f/94. A glass cover is essentially worthless.