MFT Panasonic leica 15mm 1.7 and APSC Leica Summicron ASPH f2/23mm T

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JHM, Apr 24, 2014.

1. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    Today Leica introduced their new APSC based T system. I was curious for the system, the pricing and lens line up. With the T system (APSC) Leica introduced the Leica Summicron ASPH f2/23mm T (FFE 34.5mm). Some people complain on the Panasonic prices with the Leica brand for paying to much.

New let's compare this new Leica lens in price to the new Panasonic Leica lens:

Leica T Summicron ASPH f2/23mm
    Price: EUR 1650,-

Panasonic 15mm 1.7
    Price: EUR 599,-

The Panasonic leica looks like a bargain conpared to the Leica Summicron. Looking forward to first comparisons.

What's your thoughts?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My first thought is that I wish the Panasonic were a 17.5mm instead of 15mm and f/1.4 instead of f/1.7, but I agree with you that the pricing is very reasonable if the performance is great.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I think that Leica works under totally different gross margins than Panasonic.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    Yes it seems. The lenses have a familiarity how they look, probably because the Panasonic is partly designed by Leica. But I wouldn't be suprised if Panasonic produces the Leica lenses.
  5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    According to Steve Huff, Leica rep said that the lens are manufactured in Japan to keep costs down, but not made my Panasonic.
  6. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    If the Leica 15mm 1.7 m43 lens is anywhere near as good as that 23 Summicron, then we are all in for a treat.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I wonder how the two would compare Panasonic 14mm and 15mm? Will anyone notice a drastic difference in rendering for example? It just I have 14mm which is not bad at all ...
  8. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    also have 14mm ... Not using it much as till now was mainly doing portraits of our kids with pana 25 ...but hope this year will do some landscapes with 14mm ...and yes am curious if new 15mm have more benefits then F-stop...mainly curious if it catch more details and if is noticably sharper
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For me, I have always thought that Olympus and Panasonic delivered quite a bit value at a affordable price. It surprises me how many threads appear complaining that they are too expensive. The lineup of lenses at our disposal is outstanding.

But remember....

Business 101. The price of a good or service has nothing to do with the cost to manufacture and deliver to market. It has everything to do with how much the market is willing to pay (including demand vs supply).

$1650 was about how much I paid for my Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5. I have that as well as the 75mm and 90mm Summarits all at similar price point. So if the T 23mm Summicron with its Aspherical design delivers as one would expect from a Summicron, then from that perspective the Leica T 23mm carries good value. Then again... I just realized that the Summarits are now $1950. I could probably sell mine used for more than I paid for them.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    To complete the value equation here we should also consider the price and performance of a Canon EOS M 22/2.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    Thank you for your reply. I conscious sticked to these Leica lenses because of the Leica brand. I'm mostly interested how the two compare in color rendering, as that's what makes a Leica a Leica. Is the Summicron really something special in terms of image quality and color rendering or does the PanaLeica gives you also that Leica look.
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have only seen samples from the 15mm on the web, but judging from those I'm going to answer with a resounding yes. The 14 is tiny and fairly sharp, but it doesn't have a lot of contrast. I agree, its not bad at all (and if you get it from ebay at less than $180, its pretty great), but the 15 seems to have quite a bit more contrast and pop, and seems to render significantly better than the 14.

Granted, I've only seen a few samples on the internet, and while the T system lenses render nicely, they don't seem spectacular the way some of their other lenses do. What about it impresses you so much?
  13. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    I too have only seen images from them and have not seen any charts. But to be honest, I don't really care what the charts say as the images put out look tack sharp across the lens and the color/contrast, at least to me, is just stellar... easily as good or better than the Noct. I have to preface: I have literally zero experience with extremely high end camera equipment. I have only started looking at what a high end Leica or Zeiss can achieve. The most I've ever paid for a lens was $550, and I have only recently gotten some personal time with a friend's 5D MIII with a Zeiss 85mm. I'd never buy them as I just don't see the point dropping almost $2k for a lens when I'm not getting paid to shoot photos, but they still produce impressive results. Bringing it back to the Leica 15mm: at $600, if it renders anywhere near as good as either of those T lenses I think, at least for me, I'd be getting my money's worth.
  14. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Can the Panasonic 15's aperture ring be used on an Olympus E-M1? Thx.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
  15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    no. aperture will be controlled by the camera dials
    • Like Like x 1