mFT lens equivalent

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sinclair, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

New to the mFT world. Once upon a time I was shooting with a Canon AE-1. The lens that ended up living on it was a Vivitar FD 28-80mm macro zoom lens. I loved it, I could go wide and zoom in, as well as really up close all with one lens. I still have it, and did get an adapter so I can use it on my GF5. It'd probably live there too, if it weren't for the 2x multiplier. I've got the kit 14-42mm lens, which is nice, but doesn't do macro. Is there an equivalent mFT lens to my old Vivitar?
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Your 14-42 offers similar field of view, but doesn't have the macro. You might look for the Olympus 12-50, which does have macro capabilities. I haven't used it personally, so I don't know a whole lot about it, but you might check out the threads about it on here.
  4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

The Oly 12-50 looks like it may be a winner. Until you pointed it out, I thought there were only prime macros. Are there any other zooms with macro?
  5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I dont think so, but you can always attach extension tubes (Kenko's are great) or other attachments (Raynox) on regular zooms to get close ups. Note that the Oly 12-50mm is also close up and not macro.
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I believe that's the only one. However, the Panasonic 12-35mm has a very close minimum focusing distance, and I've gotten some good close-up photos with it as well. For example:

Ft Lauderdale by jloden, on Flickr
  7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Oops, wrong way with the 2x. Those are closest to the equivalent focal length on FF to what he'd get using the 28-80mm on :43:. In other words, if he used a 45-150mm (or, really, 56-160mm) on FF, it would look a lot like using a 28-80mm on :43:. He's looking for the focal lengths to use on :43: that would yield an equivalent FOV as a 28-80mm on FF. So, anything close to 14-40mm (e.g., the numerous 14-42mm lenses) on :43: would look like his 28-80mm on FF.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    sinclair, I just had another thought - since the numerous 14-4x kit lenses are close enough in focal length for you and you seem happy with your existing kit lens, have you considered maybe just picking up an acromat/close-up magnifier for your lens? Raynox for example makes a few close-up lenses that just increases the magnification, and I've seen some nice macro work done with them here on the forum.
  9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I have, but I'd rather not have to take the time to screw them on and off. That Vivitar really spoiled me as all I had to do was twist the zoom past the 80mm and presto, it popped into macro. It does seem to do nicely on my GF5, see below. But I'm going to look into the Oly 12-50mm, read up on it some and see if I want to spring for it or not, via referbs on Amazon, or used on ebay.
    (Note: It was a very windy day when I was taking this, so trying to keep the red flower in the shot was hard.)
  10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the 12-50 has a sort of macro function.....but it is not a zoom macro....its fixed at 43mm fl - dont recall what the actual macro ratio is

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    It opens in chrome for me. It is in German and translated to English by Google translate.
  13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Maybe the original mk1 Oly 14-42mm? Decent range, decent IQ, and surprisingly close minimum focus distance (though not a macro lens). Cheap too..
  14. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

The Oly 12-50mm does look like a nice lens, and can be picked up for a reasonable price on Amazon even, as well as ebay. I think I'll get it to play with and try out. I like that it's a bit wider then the typical kit lenses.
  15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I believe the Macro Ratio of the 12 - 50mm is 2:1
  16. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    They are for sale here all of the time. Most folks here are easier to deal with than ebay'ers.
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's 1:3, and it isn't really macro. It's what they call semi-macro, or near-macro. True macro should be 1:1, but a 1:2 lens is often close enough to call a macro (such as the various Zuiko 50mm macros). Most 1:2 macros are meant to be used with an extension tube to achieve 1:1 anyways.

In further comparison, even standard non-macro lenses in the Zuiko SLR lineup were capable of 1:4. Zuiko lenses have always been known for a good close-focus distance. However, with an SLR mount the long register acts as a natural extension tube so that makes close-focus easier to achieve. Therefore, the 1:3 of the 12-50mm is fairly impressive being on such a short register. In comparison, look at the excessively long close-focus distance of most rangefinder lenses, which also have a short register.

So in short, the 1:3 macro of the 12-50mm is quite good for what it is... but it's not macro. ;)